Vintage Classic Bias Help

lgehrig4

Just picked up a VC in a trade. It's the newer model with C trannies and master. I have an AMP-Head Dual Bias Tester and was wondering if that is suitable for this amp.

this one
http://www.amp-head.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=31

It currently has JJs and it sounds good, but when I buy used I like to check this. Anyway the reading I got was 11mV per tube. I'm not sure if it's really biased this low or tester is not compatable with this particular amp. Before I make adjustments I just want to make sure it's not the tester.

Also, any other tube Recommendations? I'm not a fan of JJs in particular

thanks!
Jeff

A Wizard shouldn't be different than any other amp.

To be safe I'd probably take it to a tech and have them check the bias, if the reading they get is the same as the reading you get then you know there isn't a problem with your meter or your tester.

People seem to really like the SED "Winged C" tubes. I haven't tried them in my Wizards yet but I've used them in the past on other amps with really good results.

Thanks. The only reason I ask is that I was going to use my tester on a Louis Electric K12 once and Lou said that he biases his amps a different way and that it wouldn't work properly. I just assumed that it depended on the circuit.

I like the winged Cs so I'll give them a try. I think I read somewhere that Rick prefers GTs (3-4 rating form what I remember). Have you tried these?

lgehrig4":3tq8wyzu said:
Thanks. The only reason I ask is that I was going to use my tester on a Louis Electric K12 once and Lou said that he biases his amps a different way and that it wouldn't work properly. I just assumed that it depended on the circuit.

I like the winged Cs so I'll give them a try. I think I read somewhere that Rick prefers GTs (3-4 rating form what I remember). Have you tried these?

Is that a cathode biased amp, similar to an old Fender maybe?

Don't know. I just remember him saying something about the pins used to measure the bias being different. I assume not all amps have the power tubes wired exactly the same?

Well, I biased them to 32 and just on the change of tone and feel and I tell you it was severely underbiased. The low end it now firmer and over the amp is punchier and clearer. Amazing how good it did sound underbiased those. Got to try those Winged Cs. I like them in other amps.

Can you recommend a good boost to increase the gain. I have a Keeley modded TS9 and Timmy that I need to try with it when I get a chance. I would like the tonal characteristics of the amp to remain as unchanged as possible so I'm thinking the Timmy may work best......we'll see

I haven't tried the Timmy, but I've heard good things. I use the BB Preamp and it works extremely well.

Back