Voodoo V-Rock Van halen 1 sound(first album)

nitro

Ive heard great things about this amp but cant find one to try.There are so many amps out there to that supposenly achieve the van halen 1(first album) sound such as friedman,rockstah,granger,suhr etc,etc all good amps but there is that "something missing thing"(needs more gain-distortion).Listening to the van halen ISO tracks from the first album and then comparing them to the amps listed above(soundwise) there is the extra gain-distortion missing.

Hi Nitro,
Obviously, I'm a big fan of Traces amps. I heard one of his amps in 2005 and have now dumped all my Mesa amps, for two Voodoo amps, a 50 watt V-Plex, and a 50 watt V-Rock plus a Marshall 100Watt SLP 1959(that I'm planning on sending to Trace to be worked on to sound more like my V-Plex).

The V-Rock would get you real close to what your looking for.

BUT........
I don't think MORE Gain is the answer....... ED has tone in his hands that unless you can copy that, you can't get it with any amp.

Eds amps really didn't have THAT Much gain. His Marshall was stock. I think all the amp guys you mention have nice sounding amps that all come close. Each one has there take on what sounds good. It then depends on the tone in your hands to nail it.

One of my friends in the 1980s sounded EXACTLY like Eddie. His amp was a stock 1968 with no mods and you couldn't tell the difference between him and Eddie.

I think the part everyone misses is that, you are not only listening to an amp, its a recorded amp. Your then trying to match a recorded sound, which I don't think is possible without recording it. You can do things to the eq that you just can't get out of just the amp. How you mic it, or pan the guitar in the mix has an effect on the tone. Didn't the first album have his guitar on one side, and the effects on the other? It was something like that.

Then again, there are a lot of guys that chase Eds tone that know more about it then me.
There is a whole section on the Metro amps forum just for Eds tone...... Its CRAZY....

Better yet, call Trace and ask him. He is one of the nicest people I've talked to, and willing to discuss it with you.

Back