Wanting to be an overall better player...

PhloridaMan

I have been frustrated over the years with my limit of movement in my left pinky finger and just so I have pretty much stuck to basic chords and such... I am tired of being a mediocre player... I consider myself an extremely SOLID rhythm player and can pretty much learn anything that anyone shows me. That said, I really want to expand my horizons a bit but am overwhelmed with the different types of chords, scales etc and have NO clue where to begin to start to at least progress forward with this... Help and suggestions would be absolutely HUGE!!! I really appreciate it!

I would consider learning simple pentatonic scales to start with. There's five of them but some only use two or even one! In this way you'll start incorporating that pinky finger and building it's strength and dexterity. It'll also get you started slowly with leads and not getting frustrated with advanced techniques too quickly. Plus, it's difficult to play a wrong note using pentatonics imo.

I am a rock player but recently have starting taking some Jazz guitar classes at a community college. It has helped my rock playing ALOT. I'm not talking about solos but try looking at some Jazz standards and learning all of the cool chords in them. You won't find 90% of them in rock tunes and it will really give your left hand a real workout instead of just playing the go to rock bar chords.

Just start with basic scales and chords, its like a horrible college course I know and usually have stayed away from studying :(

The reason im replying is for the pinky finger, the only way to get it stringer is to use it.

Speed Kills by Michael Angelo Batio has a great excersize for strengthening all fingers.

I high recommend watching, I use it all the time and it does work.

my short version: Start on the 5th fret 6th string with ring finger, pick down and hammer onto the 6th fret with your pinky. Then do the same all the way up the strings with alternate picking. Then work your way back down the strings starting with pinky on 6th fret and do a pull off to 5th fret ring finger.

When you get back to the 6th string, move it up 1 fret and repeat this process all the way up to the 12th fret (If your little girly hands can make it that far :) jk).

You will feel your muscles working I promise. I do this with all finger combinations. The first time I tried this I felt like I had never touched a guitar before (mainly with middle to ring finger and ring to pinky)

Now I am much faster and stronger, but nowhere near Batios level. That guy smokes the fretboard. Definitely check out Speed Kills series

Back