Which hard rock Suhr pickup?

romanianreaper

I just picked up a Suhr S1. Awesome playing guitar, stays in tune, and looks great! I'm primarily into hard rock and metal and although the stock SSV sounds ok, I'd really like something with a big more crunch, etc.

I have a Suhr Aldrich in my Gibson Les Paul and love it. Great pickup! I thought about just throwing a Suhr Aldrich in my Suhr S1 but saw there are several different hard rock type pickups (DSH & SSH). I know the SSH is similar to an Aldrich but what about the DSH? Anything to compare it to?

romanianreaper":uhi8zjcd said:
I just picked up a Suhr S1. Awesome playing guitar, stays in tune, and looks great! I'm primarily into hard rock and metal and although the stock SSV sounds ok, I'd really like something with a big more crunch, etc.

I have a Suhr Aldrich in my Gibson Les Paul and love it. Great pickup! I thought about just throwing a Suhr Aldrich in my Suhr S1 but saw there are several different hard rock type pickups (DSH & SSH). I know the SSH is similar to an Aldrich but what about the DSH? Anything to compare it to?

The DSH is the same pickup as the SSH except it has 2 rows of screws, as opposed to one row of slugs and one row of screws. It smooths out the top end a little bit, a little less bite. You may also like the SSV+, a boosted version of the SSV. I have one in a Les Paul Custom and it sounds massive and really drives the amp. It's around 10k, great for old Van Halen tones too. We have all these in stock if you're interested. ;)

luxxtone":1esrmb91 said:
romanianreaper":1esrmb91 said:

The DSH is the same pickup as the SSH except it has 2 rows of screws, as opposed to one row of slugs and one row of screws. It smooths out the top end a little bit, a little less bite. You may also like the SSV+, a boosted version of the SSV. I have one in a Les Paul Custom and it sounds massive and really drives the amp. It's around 10k, great for old Van Halen tones too. We have all these in stock if you're interested. ;)

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

JDouglee":4pvrfh7q said:
I like the SSH+ for beefy crunch, the Aldrich if you need more upper
mid bite.
+1 on the SSH+,a freind of mine brought a modern over with an SSH+ bridge and it rocked!!

jmgman69":tjnv1gry said:
JDouglee":tjnv1gry said:
I like the SSH+ for beefy crunch, the Aldrich if you need more upper
mid bite.
+1 on the SSH+,a freind of mine brought a modern over with an SSH+ bridge and it rocked!!

The SSH+ / SSV combo in my modern is f-in amazing. Probably the BEST combo I've ever played honestly. (And it was my modern that Jason played!!! ahahaha)

Eric

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm not a huge upper mid fan, so maybe I'll look into the SSH+. Since I already have an Aldrich in my Les Paul would be good to have something different. :thumbsup:

I have the SSH+ in the bridge of my Modern and it is really great. I highly recommend it. It makes a great partner to the SSV too :thumbsup:

romanianreaper":1xx7k287 said:

I have an S2 myself and thought the SSV was a bit bright for that guitar and I wanted more output so I put a DSH+ in it smoothed things out a bit. I'm custom ordering a Standard and will probably go Alder body/Maple neck with DSH bridge/DSV neck for the pickups. I like the DSH+ but I'm leaning more towards pickups with a bit less output because they clean up/split better to my ears and have a bit more clarity to them under higher gain. The DSH's are still really punchy too at 13k ohms. In your case an SSH/SSV combo would be nice with the rosewood board on the S1. DSH/DSV if you like smoother tones.

Friends I have thought about putting on my Fender pickups DHS SHH or SSV or Pickup bridge and ML for the middle and neck. Are saying? suggestions? Help? thank you very much. God bless you.

Back