Why doesn't Fender or even Rivera reissue the Super Champ?

Chubtone

The price of these little buggers has gotten crazy. I have owned a couple of them but sold the last one when someone offered me $800 :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":7cbad said:
The price of these little buggers has gotten crazy. I have owned a couple of them but sold the last one when someone offered me $800 :mrgreen:

It's something that I have wondered for years now. That said, I have always wondered why most manufacturers discontinue gear that seem to still be in demand. Hell, Im still wondering why no one actually did a clone of that amp.

Well, its PTP, and who knows whether Riviera has rights to the design or not. If they made one, it would be in direct competition with some of their other low wattage designs that they probably are able to make for way less. They'd probably charge at least $800 for a new one, IMO.

>|<>QBB<
'63-Strat":d9f47 said:
Well, its PTP, and who knows whether Riviera has rights to the design or not. If they made one, it would be in direct competition with some of their other low wattage designs that they probably are able to make for way less. They'd probably charge at least $800 for a new one, IMO.

Im not exactly sure if you can patent an electrical circuit or not, or own the design rights. I know that sounds silly but the Marshall plexi has been copied so many times and I don;t see people getting sued!! (hell Fender could have sued Marshall and RCA could have sued them all!)
Im also under the impression that the Mesa Recto,Peavey 5150 are very close to the Soldano. I wonder if anyone has any info on this? I have always wondered !!

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":ea3fa said:
>|<>QBB<

Im not exactly sure if you can patent an electrical circuit or not, or own the design rights. I know that sounds silly but the Marshall plexi has been copied so many times and I don;t see people getting sued!! (hell Fender could have sued Marshall and RCA could have sued them all!)
Im also under the impression that the Mesa Recto,Peavey 5150 are very close to the Soldano. I wonder if anyone has any info on this? I have always wondered !!

Ive heard talk of Peavey getting reamed about the block letter 5150s because they were very close the SLO. Don't know how much truth is in it though.

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":e7e59 said:
>|<>QBB<

That rumor has been around forever, and I think in some ways its true. However, if you actually listen to those three amps, they're VERY VERY different. And, yes, you can patent an electrical circuit. Randall Smith is notorious for the number of patents he holds on guitar amplifier circuits. The thing is that it's pretty hard to enforce those patents when even the same value of different brands of components can yield different sounds. And it's not like it's difficult to get a patent in the U.S. considering how broken the patent office is.

Just wait until someone patents the human genome and starts charging you licensing fees for being alive :D

>|<>QBB<
Variable":3f432 said:
>|<>QBB<

That rumor has been around forever, and I think in some ways its true. However, if you actually listen to those three amps, they're VERY VERY different. And, yes, you can patent an electrical circuit. Randall Smith is notorious for the number of patents he holds on guitar amplifier circuits. The thing is that it's pretty hard to enforce those patents when even the same value of different brands of components can yield different sounds. And it's not like it's difficult to get a patent in the U.S. considering how broken the patent office is.

Just wait until someone patents the human genome and starts charging you licensing fees for being alive :D

I hear ya but Im not so sure that you can patent a circuit. If you look at Randall smiths patents, they are for his simulclass idea and not for the schematic of the amp. I think in order for a patent to be granted, you have to show something that is unique or that has not been done before. When It comes to Randall, I mean unique in that no one filed for a patent before he did (simulclass was used by many amp modders who werent smart enough to patent it!)
I would also think that if a circuit could be patented then guys like Mark cameron or Trace would not have to goop there mods. If I am wrong and a circuit can be patented, then I'll have to agree with you that there is little anyone can do because of the patent office!!

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":c3345 said:
>|<>QBB<

I hear ya but Im not so sure that you can patent a circuit. If you look at Randall smiths patents, they are for his simulclass idea and not for the schematic of the amp. I think in order for a patent to be granted, you have to show something that is unique or that has not been done before. When It comes to Randall, I mean unique in that no one filed for a patent before he did (simulclass was used by many amp modders who werent smart enough to patent it!)
I would also think that if a circuit could be patented then guys like Mark cameron or Trace would not have to goop there mods. If I am wrong and a circuit can be patented, then I'll have to agree with you that there is little anyone can do because of the patent office!!

No, I think you're right that it's the idea, but the circuit may be part of that idea as well. But, if you think about it, you won't find any non-Mesa amps with Simu-class.

AFAIK Trace isn't gooping amps anymore. At least I'm pretty sure there was a thread about that on HC a couple months ago. I can't speak for Mark Cameron though since I haven't heard anything either way. I think the main reason builders like Dumble have done the gooping thing may be because they CAN'T patent their design, therefor they need to find another way to protect it. But I could be wrong.

>|<>QBB<
'63-Strat":4f409 said:
Why would think it was PTP?

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":94c25 said:
>|<>QBB<

And the Marshall came from the BAssman, which came out of the Western Electronics book for the sole purpose to increase tube sales.

However, any one designing, or doing anything above grunt labor in this industry pretty much ends up with their employer owning any intelectual property they come up with whilst in their employ.

>|<>QBB<
tweed":04fef said:
>|<>QBB<

Ive heard talk of Peavey getting reamed about the block letter 5150s because they were very close the SLO. Don't know how much truth is in it though.
Lets put it like this Mike was not happy.

Did someone mention epoxy? ;)

dog_doo3.jpg

Back