Wizard Modern Classic Unboosted Thrash

Bram576

So figured I’d give this one a shot. I wanted to attempt to do a thrash tone with the Modern Classic without a boost here. This is the 6l6 version. No other eq present at all.

I’ve been liking doing a double track take then following with mono guitar just playing random riffs.

The string clarity and detail is awesome. Also that's a lot more gain than I expected from the MC. Most owners who describe them always say the MTL has way more gain so I just assumed the MC was like barely a step above a JCM800. That's fantastic!

The string clarity and detail is awesome. Also that's a lot more gain than I expected from the MC. Most owners who describe them always say the MTL has way more gain so I just assumed the MC was like barely a step above a JCM800. That's fantastic!
I think with the high end up the gain definitely stands out more! Boosted it just rules though… next level.

Definitely not a smidgen above an 800 gain wise. Actually, I don't really feel my MC1 has a whole lot in common with the 2203 and 2204's I have played. Tighter and punchier, which is the Wizard trademark, but also more low end, more gain (a lot more in the boosted channel) and different mids.

On the gain channel with onboard boost, you can absolutely do thrash. I think I do prefer to use a good transparent boost (like my Leopard) for those types of sounds, because you can really dial in the amount of extra gain/saturation you want...all while staying punchy and clear!

So figured I’d give this one a shot. I wanted to attempt to do a thrash tone with the Modern Classic without a boost here. This is the 6l6 version. No other eq present at all.

I’ve been liking doing a double track take then following with mono guitar just playing random riffs.

FUCKIN SICK

Looking forward to the boosted clip but doesn't need one.

Definitely not a smidgen above an 800 gain wise. Actually, I don't really feel my MC1 has a whole lot in common with the 2203 and 2204's I have played. Tighter and punchier, which is the Wizard trademark, but also more low end, more gain (a lot more in the boosted channel) and different mids.

On the gain channel with onboard boost, you can absolutely do thrash. I think I do prefer to use a good transparent boost (like my Leopard) for those types of sounds, because you can really dial in the amount of extra gain/saturation you want...all while staying punchy and clear!
100% agreed on all. I think it's often pretty inaccurate when Wizard's get described compared to Marshall's. They are to me their own sound that is just as great in their own way and I'd actually even keep my Hell Razor KT150 over the vintage Marshall's and modded ones I currently have if I was hypothetically forced to pick

100% agreed on all. I think it's often pretty inaccurate when Wizard's get described compared to Marshall's. They are to me their own sound that is just as great in their own way and I'd actually even keep my Hell Razor KT150 over the vintage Marshall's and modded ones I currently have if I was hypothetically forced to pick
I think the midrange and low end in wizards is a lot different than Marshall’s. More like a VHT to me than anything else. Then when you get to high mids, treble, and presence a bit Marshall like…. I guess when you have to describe multiple things to describe one amp that’s what makes them their own thing. One things for sure, they rule.

Was thinking "that's one of the better marshall-type sounds I've heard," then saw the comments saying "not marshall-type." Guess I don't like marshalls. That wizard sounds great though.

Was thinking "that's one of the better marshall-type sounds I've heard," then saw the comments saying "not marshall-type." Guess I don't like marshalls. That wizard sounds great though.
Marshall’s still rule!

They sound like Marshalls without all the stuff that sucks about Marshalls.

Back