Wow , Floyd r3 locking nut specs not correct for 12" radius fingerboard. What to do ?

ccn

Banned
I noticed that my A , D , G and B strings are too high when using an R3 locking nut and I'm at a loss on how to correct it . Neck has a 12" fingerboard radius .

The below video is what made the light bulb come on .

What's the solution to this , buy a different nut or can you alter the string grooves in the nut using a Dremel to make them lower ?

Appreciate any feedback

This - I have struggled with this over the years of slapping together my spare parts mutts. Some sources provide a 12”radius spec for the R3 while other sources say it’s 10”. I had no idea this difference was OFR vs 1000 series. Now this makes sense!

Some necks are also 10-12" compound radius. So you'll have both radii on the same board. My Nitro Aged Charvel is this way. I run an OFR R3 nut with the saddles shimmed to even out the strings. That worked for me.

Very late to this, but if you want a more high quality 12” locking nut and don’t mind the hassle of replacing your current (I assume FR 1000 series R3) nut, you get a Schaller R3 nut that you can order with 10, 12, 14, or 16 inch radius on their website. Schaller’s the only manufacturer that offers the same locking nut with different radiuses I think.

Yeah, I think this is fairly new, but it's awesome that Schaller offers so many radii now. Great for us ESP guys that always have a straight 12" radius.

Floyd is almost always 10" except the 1000 Series R3 at 12", and Gotoh I think has a 14".

1xxchCr.jpeg

The video in the OP showed a guy open a pakage with that exact chart on it. And it was wrong. That's kind of the whole point of that video...that the chart posted above is apparently wrong about the R3 radius.
Didn't watch the vid.

Would a nut for a larger radius, e.g. 15, work since the neck would be flatter & the nut height can be adjusted using a shim?

Didn't watch the vid.

Would a nut for a larger radius, e.g. 15, work since the neck would be flatter & the nut height can be adjusted using a shim?
As stated earlier, just order a Schaller with both the correct hight and radius. It s superior product and they'd thought this through. No need for the least worst option.

Last edited:
Back