Your AVT2000 VALVE STATE doesn't suck.

DarkOne

Just fyi. I've had a Marshall AVT 2000 valve state 50w combo kicking around the studio for 2 decades. Having not used it for a long time, because of my collection of full tube amps has gotten quite large, I was about to sell it. Before putting it up on reverb, I was curious about a few things. Why did it sound so bad? Not being worth much I started experimenting. Changed the tube out to a JJ extra hot, extra quiet, ecc83, it improved the sound a bit, but still wasn't happy.. I then plugged it into a Harley Benton 2x12 vintage 30 cab I happen to have for some other Amps. It came alive.
So I ordered a vintage 30 speaker and did the swap now it sounds like a Marshall should.
So, if you have one, don't junk it, change the tube and speaker and you'll have a great practice amp.
If you want to make it even better, hook a revv g3 od pedal into the effects loop and it turns into a fire breathing monster.
Don't put in in front of the preamp, the AVT works better with drive pedals in the loop instead.
Just some knowledge I recently acquired through experimentation.
Enjoy.

Brian K Walko
Owner
The Studio From Hell

Back