PHANTOM POWER

• Thread starter Thread starter sherpa_man
  • Start date Start date
S
sherpa_man
I have a vh4 head and a voodoo labs ground pro controller, when i plugged my midi lead in i also need to power the floor pedal with a power lead. I have done a bit of reading up and have read evan if your lead is a 5 pin it may not carry phantom power. Any know a make and model of a good midi cable that will carry phantom power to my floor contoller ?

duesentrieb":1i2mytrj said:
On which pins the Voodoo gets its phantom power?

I cant seem to find it, the book says 5 pin active midi cable is needed.

Unfortunately a lot of companies sell 5PIN Midi cable with just 2 "active" PINs (thats what you need for midi minimum) - but some companies are still selling the "full wired" stuff. I'm pretty sure that Rocktron (besides special cables like 5 to 7 and such) is selling good midi cables.
In europe Thomann's brand "the snake" is "full wired".

As per the manual, if it helps at all...

3.5.1 Midi In

Midi in receives “program change” orders from commonly available midi pedals and
control systems.
The VH4 is able to supply phantom power to your midi pedal via a 5-prong DIN midi
cable.
Pin 1 is ground (-)
Pin 3 is hot (+)
The voltage is 18VDC which is acceptable for 98% of all midi pedals.
Maximum power usage of the pedal can not exceed 500mA

V.

Fault in the manual ...........

The voltage is 12VDC and You can use it also
for 12VAC pedals. 9V DC/AC pedals should have no
problem because of their internal voltage regulator.
Maximum current is 0,8 amps. In case of to much
power consumption or a short a fuse inside the
amp will break the circuit.

Pin 1 and 6 = minus
Pin 3 and 7 = plus
Pin 4 and 5 = midi data

Peter Diezel":5zvahq0i said:
Fault in the manual ...........

The voltage is 12VDC and You can use it also
for 12VAC pedals. 9V DC/AC pedals should have no
problem because of their internal voltage regulator.
Maximum current is 0,8 amps. In case of to much
power consumption or a short a fuse inside the
amp will break the circuit.

Pin 1 and 6 = minus
Pin 3 and 7 = plus
Pin 4 and 5 = midi data

so can i use a 5 pin active midi lead to power my ground controller ?

so does this mean if i buy a 5 pin active midi cable i can run my floor pedal with a power lead ?

depends on the pedal. I know that Columbus, Rolls and Nobels are working correctly . . .
Engl pedals need rewiring (inside the VH4)

duesentrieb":2fdepevy said:
depends on the pedal. I know that Columbus, Rolls and Nobels are working correctly . . .

voodoo labs ground control pro ?

If your question wasn't answered, you need a 5 pin active to phantom power your ground controller. 1 and 3 will be hot.

Steve

steve_k":2rk7undp said:
If your question wasn't answered, you need a 5 pin active to phantom power your ground controller. 1 and 3 will be hot.

Steve

just bought a lead, i was told in the store it was a active lead and it wont power up. Think he has told me a fib.

duesentrieb":299hglj3 said:

We have music industrie standart wiring ;)

i have bought 4 leaqds now all of which i have been told there all 5 pin active. None of them work, has anybody got a direct link to a uk site that sells these leads so i can just order it ?

Peter Diezel":3bbn9xz0 said:
Did You blow the internal fuse meanwhile ?

no the amp wasnt switched on when i plugged the pedal in. Its the lead just cant seem to find a 5 pin active midi lead in the uk.

Back