2x12, G12 H 65, front loaded vs rear loaded construction?

2x12, G12 G 65, front loaded vs rear loaded construction?

I go for a darker low-mid tone. Medium/low high gain. I try to avoid that 80s, super-distorted, highly compressed, cheese-whiz tone. My tone goes back to early 1970s Billy Gibbons/Ritchie Blackmore at its core. My playing style is modern, however. And I sometimes use more gain than them. I use the Suhr Koko boost and a volume pedal through a one channel amp. (I want a Diezel 2x12 now. Later I will upgrade my amp to a diezel, as well, with a clean and dirty channel.)

With this said, in your opinion, would a front-loaded or rear-loaded construction be more suitable? I do not have an opportunity to test them out.

Thanks

L.

If I was going for 70s vintage tones, I'd go with the rear-loaded. Front-loaded cabs are generally more focused, tighter, and, well, more modern sounding. Also, for 70s tones, I'd think of a Greenback first. G12-65s are darker, have more low end, and smooth highs. V30s might get you closer, as they're more high-mid focused for some of that 70s bite. Having said that, the G12-65 is one of my favorite speakers and I'm not really a fan of V30s. In any case, all of this is just my opinions... YMMV.

ChurchHill":33k7lu91 said:

Darker is what I want.
I particularly want to stay away from high-end fizz.
Basically, take that early 70s tone, make it a bit darker, and add some more front end distortion (with less fuzz).
Note definition is important to me.
Basically, in my mind, a modern vintage tone.
(I do plan on blending two amps in the studio. One through 65s and one through 30s, though.)

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around what "focused" means. Although, I agree, it seems from descriptions, rear loaded is best for me.

Well, in my experience, FL cabs are more focused in they are even more directional than a RL cab. If they are sealed back (as in not screwed on), they'll have tighter bass (not less, just more controlled), too, as the wood joints make a better seal (less flexible) than weather stripping and screws. That's true for screwed-on-back FLs, too, just to a much lesser degree. Hope that helps!

I know that Diezel 4x12 FLs are truly sealed back and I believe their 2x12 FLs are, too. Of course, RL cabs will have the back screwed on.

ChurchHill has pretty much nailed the description of a FL cab. IME and what it sounds like your looking for I would go for a RL cab. I use v30s but again, for more of a 70's vibe I had great results with a greenback. With the mid spike in the v30 I think you would be happier with the smoothness of the greenback or the G12-65. Much less chance of them getting fizzy if you start turning up the gain.

Back