Herbert vs Hagen? Pro’s and Con’s?

MrFlexx

I’m owning a Herbert MKII and been asked to trade a Hagen for it. I like the Herbert but open for other Diezel’s. The thing is I haven’t tried the Hagen and may not be able to try it out before doing the trade.
So my question is in what way the two amps differ (sound wise) and what/why you think is better or worse between the two. I’m a little tempted in the trade du to the Hagen have lower watt.

Please help me out making the right choice.

Hagen is more raw, less compressed, less tight and surgical/linear compared to Herbert.

To me it depends on how you like your mids and how "touch sensitive" you want the amp to react.

MourningEngine":17hhxi2z said:
Hagen is more raw, less compressed, less tight and surgical/linear compared to Herbert.

To me it depends on how you like your mids and how "touch sensitive" you want the amp to react.
More raw and less compressed sounds nice. Touch sensitivity is nice and I hope that is in favor for the Hagen. I love more raw and Hot rodded Marshall sound with a touch of modern blended into it.
Does that sound more like Hagen over Herbert regarding to you?

I own both Herbert and Hagen. So, obviously I feel that they are "different" enough to warrant owning both.

What was said above is correct, Hagen is more open and "raw." If you like that INSTEAD, then sure, trade is a great idea.

Personally, I had my Herbert first and let a VH4S and an Einstein go because I like Herbert more. That said, Hagen is a 4 channel amp and has some VERY cool tones in there. As Uncle Mo would say, it's "greasy" in a really good way. Anyway, Hagen stayed as well.

If I had to choose only one, it would be VERY difficult. I don't think most people have the opportunity to try them out, so I hear that part. I bought my Herbert sight unseen and NEVER regretted it. Also, got my Hagen directly from Peter when they came out, pre-order. I'll be honest, I was so used to Herbert, that initially Hagen was so different I had some feelings like "why did I do this?" However, after sitting with them in the same room, it's as I said before...they are DIFFERENT and in a REALLY GOOD way.
Both Diezel loveliness :D

Bottomline, if you want Marshall, get a Marshall. Diezel isn't that.
Hagen is probably "closer" on channel 2 to "Marshall-esque" tones.

Best of luck, I'm sure I didn't help. Just possibly created a desire to own both, which is where I'm at :rock:

GtarLover":3ami1puu said:
I own both Herbert and Hagen. So, obviously I feel that they are "different" enough to warrant owning both.

What was said above is correct, Hagen is more open and "raw." If you like that INSTEAD, then sure, trade is a great idea.

Personally, I had my Herbert first and let a VH4S and an Einstein go because I like Herbert more. That said, Hagen is a 4 channel amp and has some VERY cool tones in there. As Uncle Mo would say, it's "greasy" in a really good way. Anyway, Hagen stayed as well.

If I had to choose only one, it would be VERY difficult. I don't think most people have the opportunity to try them out, so I hear that part. I bought my Herbert sight unseen and NEVER regretted it. Also, got my Hagen directly from Peter when they came out, pre-order. I'll be honest, I was so used to Herbert, that initially Hagen was so different I had some feelings like "why did I do this?" However, after sitting with them in the same room, it's as I said before...they are DIFFERENT and in a REALLY GOOD way.

Best of luck, I'm sure I didn't help. Just possibly created a desire to own both, which is where I'm at :rock:

Thanks for your answer. I was a bit unclear of what I meant with Hot rodded Marshall. What I mean is that I like the raw tone of it. But I already own the best Hot rodded Marshall you can find (custom made for me) and don’t want the same in another amp. I want the rawness of it...not as compressed and modern as the Herbert. I want the Diezel tone but in a less compressed and with more rockness (as Phil X calls it) Think the dirty, gritty, in your face black sheep Diezel. Did that even make sense;) Hope you understand what I mean.

MrFlexx":1lvnjg5r said:
GtarLover":1lvnjg5r said:

Thanks for your answer. I was a bit unclear of what I meant with Hot rodded Marshall. What I mean is that I like the raw tone of it. But I already own the best Hot rodded Marshall you can find (custom made for me) and don’t want the same in another amp. I want the rawness of it...not as compressed and modern as the Herbert. I want the Diezel tone but in a less compressed and with more rockness (as Phil X calls it) Think the dirty, gritty, in your face black sheep Diezel. Did that even make sense;) Hope you understand what I mean.

Hagen certainly is more raw, dirty and gritty compared to Herbert. But of course it's still a Diezel. You should also consider the Paul or Big MaX (depending on how many channels you need). They are even more open and Marshall-esque.

Tried the Hagen..and even though it's an amazing amp...I feel the Herbert is more for me. Thanks for all your input.

Back