jose high vs. low gain?? ocean mod?? modern mod?

idnotbe

after searching a few threads, now i know the basic concepts of aldrich (old bitch) and atomica (jose).
but still there are unclear things to me.
can someone educate me??

1. what is the difference between jose high gain mod vs. jose low gain mod?
does it refer the amount of gain from the diode??

2. what is ocean mod?
from youtube clips, it seems smoother and vintage-ish than aldrich and atomica.

3. what is modern mod?
is it engl or diezel type thrash / djent tone?

Bump for being interested as well. At the OP can you share your insights on Jose vs Aldrich mod?

idnotbe":2bi3o3e3 said:
after searching a few threads, now i know the basic concepts of aldrich (old bitch) and atomica (jose).
but still there are unclear things to me.
can someone educate me??

1. what is the difference between jose high gain mod vs. jose low gain mod?
does it refer the amount of gain from the diode??

2. what is ocean mod?
from youtube clips, it seems smoother and vintage-ish than aldrich and atomica.

3. what is modern mod?
is it engl or diezel type thrash / djent tone?

Google is your friend....

Mark has three mods that I know of and one that he is working on but he can basically do anything that you want lol!

"The three mods that I know of is a Jose Mod, The Doug aldrich Mod and a 5 gain stage Mod.

The Jose mod is almost spot on to the Mods that Jose Did back in the 80's. The only difference IMHO is that Mark Tweaked that mod a bit and IMHO it sounds 1000 times better then the Jose Modded
marshall that My friend had. Marks Jose mod was setup in a way that you could plug into one of the inputs and get a non Modded Marshall vibe and then Plug into another i/p and get a Hot rodded thing Happening. There is plenty of gain on tap without being harsh but not as much gain as the Aldrich mod. The amp sounds very warm and punch/tight. Very Cool IMHO

The next mod is the Aldrich Mod. Mark works the preamp section of the amp and steps up the gain quite a bit. Again, the amp has plenty of gain but without being harsh. Mark also adds a resonance control on the back of the amp that greatly affects the amount of Bass coming from the amp...It gives the amp More Punch and ooomph lol!! The sound coming from both these mods are huge.
By the way, from what I understand Mark doesnt drill any holes in your amp and if you should ever want to put the amp back to stock, you should be able to do so pretty easily.

another thing to note is that Both of the two mods that I have just described sound AMAZING at bedroom volumes and even better when goosed. The guy is extremely talented!!

The next Mod that I heard was a 5 gain stage monster. This mod would actually require a hole to be drilled for an extra 12ax7 (i Believe but dont quote me lol!)
Im pretty sure Mark would do this mod for you but Im not sure if he usually offers this mod. Mark put this mod in a Fender amp head lol!! A highly Modded Fender amp lol!! There was nothing Fender about this amp lol! It actually looked as if it was kicked down a flight of stairs but the sound coming out of this thing was amazing!! Actually all of his amps sounded amazing! The fender modded amp reminded me of a cross between a Boogie and Marshall. very cool stuff ;)

I also heard that Mark has a new mod that he is working on.
All in all, Every amp killed IMHO. I dont usually say that to often. I have played and owned alot of Modded marshalls over the years I have played modded Marshall from ( Harry Kolbe,Jose, Tim Caswell,Lee Jackson) And Marks mods blow them all away IMHO.
I also have to give Props to Dave Bray because I own one of his Modded Marshalls and Dave is estremely gifted as well! (FWIW, Daves work is different from Marks ;) )

Just a recap,
The Jose Mod is warm,Punchy and has a decent amount of gain.

The Aldrich Mod has the same quality as the Jose Mod but had more gain on tap and the resonence contol is very cool. This amp can go from Vintage to modern IMHO.

The 5 gain stager was just a fire breathing Dragon. I thing this was Marks fun amp in that I think he was having a blast trying to see how much gain he could squeeze out of an amp without having it turn to mush!!

FWIW, I would own and play anyone of them!!

I'm actually thinking about getting the Aldrich Mod done to my friends Marshall (He actually gave it to me but I still consider it his lol!! Long story!)

I hope this helps!!"

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

thanks, that's interesting. I understand his amps are based on these mods, right? So I guess the Old Bitch is the Aldrich mod, the Atomica is a Jose but I thought the CCV is a Jose as well, right? So is a CCV a two channel Atomica then?

Alex_S":27lmje58 said:
Hi Ralph,

thanks, that's interesting. I understand his amps are based on these mods, right? So I guess the Old Bitch is the Aldrich mod, the Atomica is a Jose but I thought the CCV is a Jose as well, right? So is a CCV a two channel Atomica then?
I have an Aldrich, Atomica modded SLP and CCV and played the production Atomica too and I also tried an actual Jose modded Marshall once and the CCV sounds nothing like the Jose, Aldrich, Atomica or any of his other stuff. The CCV doesn't sound remotely Marshally to me at all. The CCV is a very smooth sounding amp and super tight (tightest amp I've ever tried (more than any Dar, Engl, Diezel, etc.)). It's not raw, hairy or growly sounding like the Atomica or Aldrich, it stays smooth and more controlled on powerchords. I wonder if maybe it gets compared to Jose's because of the diode clipping or maybe on paper it should be similar, but sounds nothing like those amps at all, at least mine doesn't and neither did PsychoDave's (I remember his sounding the same as mine when I tried it). I wonder if maybe the modern mod of his is like the CCV?

braintheory":ykm27akg said:
Alex_S":ykm27akg said:
Hi Ralph,

I have an Aldrich, Atomica modded SLP and CCV and played the production Atomica too and I also tried an actual Jose modded Marshall once and the CCV sounds nothing like the Jose, Aldrich, Atomica or any of his other stuff. The CCV doesn't sound remotely Marshally to me at all. The CCV is a very smooth sounding amp and super tight (tightest amp I've ever tried (more than any Dar, Engl, Diezel, etc.)). It's not raw, hairy or growly sounding like the Atomica or Aldrich, it stays smooth and more controlled on powerchords. I wonder if maybe it gets compared to Jose's because of the diode clipping or maybe on paper it should be similar, but sounds nothing like those amps at all, at least mine doesn't and neither did PsychoDave's (I remember his sounding the same as mine when I tried it). I wonder if maybe the modern mod of his is like the CCV?

Thanks! Interesting. I guess I'd love the Atomica most from what i read...

Click on the link in my signature below. My Youtube has a sample of each mod and then some including the crazy rare "VIP" mod.

Alex_S":3vn47ksf said:
Hi Ralph,

Not Ralph I put quotes around all Ralph.s information. I personally have a Cameron Modded JCM 800 RI and it has more options than any Cameron amp I have ever seen. It is based on a Jose LG/HG.

Alex_S":x23i844r said:
Hi Ralph,

Just wanted to clarify, the Old Bitch is Dave Friedman's take on an Aldrich modded Marshall, which is an entirely different amp than the an Aldrich modded by Mark Cameron.

ibenhad":3i16ufp3 said:
Alex_S":3i16ufp3 said:
Hi Ralph,

Not Ralph I put quotes around all Ralph.s information. I personally have a Cameron Modded JCM 800 RI and it has more options than any Cameron amp I have ever seen. It is based on a Jose LG/HG.

Missed your post, sorry. Thanks for the info!

keennay":3bi2mt8j said:
Alex_S":3bi2mt8j said:
Hi Ralph,

Just wanted to clarify, the Old Bitch is Dave Friedman's take on an Aldrich modded Marshall, which is an entirely different amp than the an Aldrich modded by Mark Cameron.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Alex_S":1js0pydb said:
keennay":1js0pydb said:
Alex_S":1js0pydb said:
Hi Ralph,

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
I don't think that's quite right, from what I remember. The Old Bitch is the Cameron Aldrich, but Doug Aldrich didn't want his name to be used when King/Friedman/Cameron started that run. So they called it the Old Bitch. However, the design Cameron shared with Friedman and friends left a few details out, so Mark still has his design to himself. Great amp but not a true Cameron Aldrich. So if it's Friedmans take on an Aldrich it wasn't on purpose. It was because Mark held a few details back.

I would imagine they would...except that a Cameron modded Marshall might sound different than an amp made from the ground up (chassis, transformers, brands of caps and resistors, layout, etc...)

paulyc":3oaijj5e said:
I would imagine they would...except that a Cameron modded Marshall might sound different than an amp made from the ground up (chassis, transformers, brands of caps and resistors, layout, etc...)

Who cares about Mark Scameron anyways!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

EXPcustom":ld2flxfw said:
Click on the link in my signature below. My Youtube has a sample of each mod and then some including the crazy rare "VIP" mod.
I'm still diggin' this One-Off "Cantrell" model...Thank you Mark. Way Smooooooth!

"So is a CCV a two channel Atomica then?" Basically, yes.

"the CCV sounds nothing like the Jose, Aldrich, Atomica or any of his other stuff." That could be due to a million things...full up build v. MODed, transformer set, pre-Brad v. Brad, Friedman/Cameron Atomicia has voicing changes, presence cap changes, etc. See above and CCV, Atomica, and Jose HG are basically all in the same ballpark except some have addl channels, etc.

" The CCV doesn't sound remotely Marshally to me at all." That's because although the preamp is the same, silimato to the Atomica or Jose HG, there is a tremendous amount of filtering on the B+ of the CCV that makes it tighter and agrier than a stock Marshall. Pre's are basically the same. It's sum of the wholes that makes it different.

" I wonder if maybe it gets compared to Jose's because of the diode clipping or maybe on paper it should be similar" No. It's because the preamp circuits are basically the same!

Cameron Jose HG - 3 gain stages plus cathode follower
Cameron Atomica - 3 gain stages plus cathode follower (production amp is a hybrid, no MM xfers, off the shelf MC xfers and 50% Cameron)
Cameron CCV - 3 gain stages plus cathode follower
Cameron Aldrich (CCM) - 4 gain stages no cathode follower
Cameron Old Bitch - 4 gain stages no cathode follower (this amp is a hybrid, no MM xfers, off the shelf MC xfers and 50% Cameron)

Equ1nox":io1ybmi6 said:
"So is a CCV a two channel Atomica then?" Basically, yes.

"the CCV sounds nothing like the Jose, Aldrich, Atomica or any of his other stuff." That could be due to a million things...full up build v. MODed, transformer set, pre-Brad v. Brad, Friedman/Cameron Atomicia has voicing changes, presence cap changes, etc. See above and CCV, Atomica, and Jose HG are basically all in the same ballpark except some have addl channels, etc.

" The CCV doesn't sound remotely Marshally to me at all." That's because although the preamp is the same, silimato to the Atomica or Jose HG, there is a tremendous amount of filtering on the B+ of the CCV that makes it tighter and agrier than a stock Marshall. Pre's are basically the same. It's sum of the wholes that makes it different.

" I wonder if maybe it gets compared to Jose's because of the diode clipping or maybe on paper it should be similar" No. It's because the preamp circuits are basically the same!

Cameron Jose HG - 3 gain stages plus cathode follower
Cameron Atomica - 3 gain stages plus cathode follower (production amp is a hybrid, no MM xfers, off the shelf MC xfers and 50% Cameron)
Cameron CCV - 3 gain stages plus cathode follower
Cameron Aldrich (CCM) - 4 gain stages no cathode follower
Cameron Old Bitch - 4 gain stages no cathode follower (this amp is a hybrid, no MM xfers, off the shelf MC xfers and 50% Cameron)
Good info. What do you mean by 'and 50% Cameron'?

Do the 4 gain stage amps have clippers?

Back