Cameron Aldrich Mod

Yeah Nick....brootz for sure. What grabbed my interest the most is the depth and thickness of the tone. The fucker puts out for sure.

Steve

steve_k":1gar1plj said:
Gonna do the Aldrich trifecta clip......Cameron, Suhr, Golub.

I would really love to hear some clips also. I am really up in the air with all 3 of these amps. I have had at least 5 cameron aldrich mods, but never played a Goloub mod and dont trust clips. I had a Suhr modded JCM 800 but it wasnt an aldrich. Please post some clips.

Is this the Aldrich I sold you Steve? What an idiot I was for selling my two best amps...This new CCV better be a motherfucker.....

texmarkmusic":2xm9698m said:
Is this the Aldrich I sold you Steve? What an idiot I was for selling my two best amps...This new CCV better be a motherfucker.....
When You get the CCV you aint going to regret a thing. Trust me.

texmarkmusic":j35dpurq said:

Yeah, that''s the one. And yes, you are nutz :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Having owned a CCV and now this one, you can certainly tell that the CCV voicing and layout was built around the Aldrich mod. So, you will definitely have the Aldrich covered somewhat in a CCV. Won't be the same though. You will still retain a lot of Marshall tone in the Aldrich whereas with the CCV you are going to lose some of that, at least that is what I remember of my two CCV's. The CCV will have the dual gain pots and clipping circuits like the Aldrich, where one is a push/pull pot here. However, they are a little more tame on the Aldrich and the gain is not too over the top. The CCV got out of hand much quicker than the Aldrich gain. And, it is likely designed that way as the CCV will have an additional tube stage, if I remember correctly. The bottom and resonance controls on the NFB circuit on this Aldrich is what adds some character and control to this amp like no other.

Only got to spend about 30-45 minutes with it last night and it takes a bit of dialing in. My paint stick is coming out today though and mark some settings as it is quite responsive to control changes. Of course, the JJ's were immediately replaced with SED's.

Steve

Yeah man....I have the original 79 JMP Mark did at the house. It's the one that Norum and everyone apparently used....it's ridiculously good :thumbsup:

jcj":2d2b1vwq said:
Yeah man....I have the original 79 JMP Mark did at the house. It's the one that Norum and everyone apparently used....it's ridiculously good :thumbsup:

It definitely kicks a few of my amps to the curb..... :checkthisout:

steve_k":2b5udysh said:
Having owned a CCV and now this one, you can certainly tell that the CCV voicing and layout was built around the Aldrich mod. So, you will definitely have the Aldrich covered somewhat in a CCV. Won't be the same though. You will still retain a lot of Marshall tone in the Aldrich whereas with the CCV you are going to lose some of that, at least that is what I remember of my two CCV's. The CCV will have the dual gain pots and clipping circuits like the Aldrich, where one is a push/pull pot here. However, they are a little more tame on the Aldrich and the gain is not too over the top. The CCV got out of hand much quicker than the Aldrich gain. And, it is likely designed that way as the CCV will have an additional tube stage, if I remember correctly. The bottom and resonance controls on the NFB circuit on this Aldrich is what adds some character and control to this amp like no other.
I'm not sure quite what you mean by "the CCV voicing and layout was built around the Aldrich mod" because they are very different amps. The CCV has two channels. One is two gain stages, the other is three. Both with cathode followers. A lot of the gain and saturation in both channels comes from the diode (and other things) clipping circuitry. The Aldrich mod's I've seen are four gain stages, no cathode follower and do not have the clipping circuitry. They do not need it because there is enough gain from the 4 stages. The CCV is much closer to the HG/LG Jose mods Mark does than the Aldrich mods I've seen. The CCV has less gain stages than the Aldrich mods I've seen, not more - the percieved gain of the CCV may be more to you because of the saturation of the clipping circuitry. The Aldrich is voiced much more modern and agressive as well. I dunno maybe yours is some kind of hybrid... Is your amp 4 gain stages or 3 and a cathode follower? Based on my understanding and talking to Mark, the CCM was supposed to be more like the Aldrich - 4 gain stages, no clipping circuits, but he said to me it was really his business partner's idea to bring it to market and not his... The CCV was his take on the HG/LG Jose...

The reason you may feel you are losing the "Marshall" with the CCV is because the power section is different than a Marshall, while the Aldrich you have mainly still has a Marshall power section.

Steve

sah5150":3cykr3lm said:
steve_k":3cykr3lm said:
I'm not sure quite what you mean by "the CCV voicing and layout was built around the Aldrich mod" because they are very different amps. The CCV has two channels. One is two gain stages, the other is three. Both with cathode followers. A lot of the gain and saturation in both channels comes from the diode (and other things) clipping circuitry. The Aldrich mod's I've seen are four gain stages, no cathode follower and do not have the clipping circuitry. They do not need it because there is enough gain from the 4 stages. The CCV is much closer to the HG/LG Jose mods Mark does than the Aldrich mods I've seen. The CCV has less gain stages than the Aldrich mods I've seen, not more - the percieved gain of the CCV may be more to you because of the saturation of the clipping circuitry. The Aldrich is voiced much more modern and agressive as well. I dunno maybe yours is some kind of hybrid... Is your amp 4 gain stages or 3 and a cathode follower? Based on my understanding and talking to Mark, the CCM was supposed to be more like the Aldrich - 4 gain stages, no clipping circuits, but he said to me it was really his business partner's idea to bring it to market and not his... The CCV was his take on the HG/LG Jose...

The reason you may feel you are losing the "Marshall" with the CCV is because the power section is different than a Marshall, while the Aldrich you have mainly still has a Marshall power section.

Steve

I know nothing...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: but Mark's Aldrich mod has moved up to favored status :thumbsup: and is by far he coolest amp in my arsenal. Even down to the big whiskey dent in the face plate and chassis from shipping.

The layout I was referring to was the dual gain and sculpting the pre and post EQ's, similar to a CCV - not the tube layout. Mark had to get his ideas for a new build from something, as most builders do. I don't own a Jose amp and don't know for sure, but yes, the CCV would lean more toward one than it would an Aldrich. That's was I was trying to say. The Aldrich sounds nothing like the CCV I had, although, there may be some Aldrich somewhere in the set up of a CCV. I didn't keep either one of them long enough to really try it out, nor did I have any reference then. The Aldrich has plenty of gain for me and retains some Marshall tone, which is what I like about it. This one has only 3 preamp tubes and I haven't looked under the hood yet to see how it was configured in the chassis. I get the feeling that a lot of Mark's stuff sounds different, depending on what components he could find at the time to do mod work with and probably everything is unique in some way. I would imagine also that the few CCV's he has kicked out in the last couple years all sound a bit different.

All I do know is that this amp has me grinning like a dog in the brier patch.

Steve (the other one)

steve_k":2ju97ups said:
All I do know is that this amp has me grinning like a dog in the brier patch.

Steve (the other one)

And In The End... THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS MAN!!! :thumbsup:

Roid

Depends on the Player.
My buddy and I went back 'n forth between his Aldrich mod and my Jose mod. He sounded better on his Aldrich. I sounded better on my HG Jose. We both agreed on that.

Back