Egnater Renegade 212 squeal and buzz/hum issue

njames06

I have a couple noise issues going on with my amp. I have a Renegade 212 combo. The first and most pressing issue is a very loud squealing noise that usually occurs right after I turn on the amp. It isn't consistent but does happen very often. Sometimes it only lasts a second or two then stops and sometimes it persists until I turn off the amp. I notice that if I hit (gently) the amp, the squeal will come and go, but usually happens without me even touching it.

The second issue I'm having is a buzzing/hum sound that fades in and becomes very noticeable. This happens after the amp has been on for around 45 minutes and the tubes have become hot.

Anyone have any ideas? I attached a couple audio clips of the noise issues.

Attachments

• 20171219 120054.mp3
    166.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 20171219 130436.mp3
    883.2 KB · Views: 144
It could be a number of things (i.e. bad capacitor, bad solder joint, bad tube socket, etc..), however I would suspect tubes first.

To start with:
Swap each preamp tube one at a time, with a known good spare preamp tube.

or:
while the amp is on and producing the noise, pull a preamp tube, starting with V1. If the noise stops when pulling one of the tubes you have either isolated a bad tube, or the section of the amp where the problem is. If it does not stop when you pull a tube, insert that tube back in, and try the next tube. Preamp tubes only, do not do this with the power tubes.

Back