Michael Landau

I've never heard him play but I have his "secret" custom Seymour Duncan trembucker in my strat and it sounds sooo good!

Maybe his music will click with me at some point. Al Dimeola is as about as far from hard rock as i can go without feeling clueless

I like Landau, he's got his own thing going. Kind of a cross between Jeff Beck and Scott Henderson. He's also a session guy so I'm sure you've heard him on a few radio songs and didn't even realize it. He's an acquired taste but a very schooled player and has his own style. :thumbsup:

Mesa\Kramer":18j9rn50 said:

was gonna link that vid as well, probably his most memorable track for me, Novak is a sick drummer as well

killer guitarist but i certainly get the not connecting with a lot of his music

I liked Landau back in the 90's. Seems nowadays every tune is funeral dirge tempo and boring.

SLOgriff":3348jzvu said:
I like Landau, he's got his own thing going. Kind of a cross between Jeff Beck and Scott Henderson. He's also a session guy so I'm sure you've heard him on a few radio songs and didn't even realize it. He's an acquired taste but a very schooled player and has his own style. :thumbsup:

Joni Mitchell, Seal, Michael Jackson, James Taylor, Helen Watson, Richard Marx, Steve Perry, Pink Floyd[1] and Miles Davis.

Also check out The Ringers with Jimmy Herring. He certainly is not trapped in wank fest...he's got a solid and diverse catalog.

I tried to like him as well. Even saw him live. Problem with that live gig though was that on the other side of the stage was Robben Ford.
Tough to gig with Robben and get much attention. ;)

carlygtr":kb1189cd said:
I liked Landau back in the 90's. Seems nowadays every tune is funeral dirge tempo and boring.

Wow, like a totally different guy 20 years ago.
That had some magic to it.

AFAIK, the only guitarist to play on a Pink Floyd record who wasn't in the band.
Such a talent that in sessions he would be given the time available for a solo and then told, 'just do what you do'. On a solo, he could write a song within a song, bursting with emotion.
His list of sessions is so long it fills ten sides of A4 in small print.
His solo disc 'Tales From the Bulge' is a seminal work in tone and touch and hailed by many guitarists as their favourite disc of all time.
A major influence on many session players that followed, especially his much copied clean tones: use of the Tri-Stereo chorus in conjunction with pitch shift, reverb and delay a signature sound that graced umpteen records in the 80s & 90s and is the cause of continued interest in the TSC that Fulltone has painstakingly recently recreated in his TERC (That 80s Rack Chorus).
As mentioned, his Burning Water and Raging Honkies projects were stupid good. Vintage gear with a modern attitude.

He changed tack around 15years ago and followed his own wants away from sessions. I'm sure he cares not what we think of that. Been there, done that.
A signature Fender Strat model last year was a deserved reward for his contribution to the guitar world.

Mike's on another level. I put him up there with Beck. Unreal at improvising- the things he thinks up and then somehow effortlessly plays, are just amazing.

Love Michael's playing. Very talented dude that is one of the most emotive players I've heard...up there with Beck and Hendrix in many ways.

Back