Anyone try the new Randall RG heads?

anomaly

The RG3003H in particular? I'm looking for something to replace my aging rg100's from the 80's. Anyone give em a try, do they replicate that sound well?

RG1003, RG1503, RG3003? has no one has tried any of these? The RG3003 has a built in gate, 3 channels i think? and it's affordable. 300 watts is way more than i need, but i suppose more is always better.

I've been swearing I would buy one. Then I committed to a Rhodes Gemini...go figure. :LOL: :LOL:

Was also told to hold off until NAMM to see what's coming down the pike. Was hoping for a C-200 reissue or maybe a new version of the X2.

Also had planned to get the 3003 used when one popped up. I can tell you that juggy got the rg13 pedal and swears by it. Its basically the 3003 in pedal form, I think.

Hmmm, ya a Century 200 head would be very cool indeed. I know Juggernaut is a big Randall fan, and i sold him a rgp1000 pre-amp long ago. He knows tone too. :thumbsup:

He's probably the second biggest Randall fan, behind me. :D

Need more comments people. The only thing i can go by are some of the recent live footage of Crowbar as Kirk Windstein is currently using them, and they sound damn good from what i can tell... the other guy uses 6505+ heads, and Kirk's rig sounds better, it's just a more cutting tone with a huge low end. But ya know he's been through a bunch of different rigs and he always goes back to the ancient RG100ES, so i wonder if it really is as good as i think?

I was wanting to try one as well but they really bungled the Rollout after NAMM. I have only found a couple of clips that sound good. I was hoping they could replicate the old true FET randall design as they claimed. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there so they either didn't release a lot maybe due to QC issues or whatnot. Mike Fortin was supposed to be on board working out their QC and Design Issues but I haven't heard from Mr. Fortin in a while.

Like you all I hear are CRICKETS... :confused:

To bad... a lot of people swear by their old RG80's, 100;s, 200's. :rock:

Bump this old thread. I seen a couple of Ola vids, and seem a good amp for the price. Who tried them?

I owned the RG 100 head for about 6 months, I moved it to fund a different amp head but lately I've been thinking about getting the 300 watt version (if I don't pull the trigger on an ampeg vh140c I found locally)

It's a great head, I found I liked channel 2 more than the 3rd modern channel. The modern channel had a high pitch frequency that I could not dial out, it was not super noticeable, but it is a constant hum, maybe it was just the one I had?

either way they are great for the price, I'll probably end up with the 300 watt pretty soon

edit: Though I can't really compare to the 80's rg as I've never owned one, the rg100 I had sounded crisp (especially on channel 2 with the boost engaged) really thick and chunky, had that metallic mids characteristic which I personally love and sounded much better than other solid states I've owned before (ibanez TBX, crate shockwave) which are both great heads in my opinion. :rock:

Luca79":1azlg0t5 said:
Bump this old thread. I seen a couple of Ola vids, and seem a good amp for the price. Who tried them?

Looks like the major vendors actually have some in stock now... about 3 years too late :gethim: . While not exact it's probably as close as you'll get to an old RG Randall. For the price they seem worth taking a chance with the 45 day return policy. I think they sound pretty good actually but the quality control might be an issue down the road but who knows I have not read alot of bad about them.

Back