2016 Splawn Quick Rod Review...new bells and whistles

evhfan

My new 2016 Splawn QR arrived Friday. Mine's on top here...

IMG_3740_zps64wqrw4d.jpg

Now, this is my 5th Splawn, I've been thru 3 QRs and 1 Nitro. My very first Splawn, that I still have, is a first gen QR...the 87th one ever built, so I've had a long history of these and know Scott pretty well.

This is the FIRST Splawn (QR or Nitro) that I can play without having to boost a little. Other people, like Scott Splawn, can play all the 80s rock on this thing without boosting. I had to boost the old ones...maybe it's the way I play, idk...the notes seemed to die out for me unless I boosted. But then you'd hear Scott play it straight and it was KILLER. Anyway, this is the first Splawn that felt right to me straight out of the box. I can play a full set of VH with this amp straight out of the box...I couldn't do that before.

I'm not sure what the difference is...maybe it's the B+ option. This B+ option (that lowers the plate voltage to 90) is the main reason why I bought into this new iteration QR...plus it's switchable. Killer. Now, the difference between the B+ voltage and the full voltage is VERY subtle. I REALLY can't hear anything different, some of you guys might be able to...I can't. BUT...it must be doing something cause this is the best Splawn I've ever had. Really.

With my old QRs I really couldn't hear a difference between the gears and ODs. With this new one, all the gears/ODs are way more prominent and all usable...It's like different gain channels. Maybe my ears got better...or maybe the amp got better.

The other amazing "feature" is that this amp is DEAD QUIET...even on Gear 3/OD 2. I used to have to put a NS2 in front to quiet it down...but this one doesn't need that.

The "Mid Cut" switch works as expected..."up" it cuts some of the mids..."down" is full mids...I like it "down".

The "Old/New" switch works great also. The "Old" setting sounds like my first gen Splawn...a bit more "open". I like it set to "New" though.

The loop volume is a god send. You can play this amp at any level...even with a baby in the room.

Ask some questions if I left anything out...but this new QR is the best QR I've ever had. And I've had a few. Looking forward to rehearsal this week.

Good review man. Congrats on your new QR :thumbsup:

FWIW, I have an '08 and it is also very quiet. Never felt a need for noise suppressor. I can definitely tell a difference between the Gears and the ODs. I'm usually in Gear 2 / OD2. I also run the treble at '0' :D

311splawndude":3d0l50d0 said:

FWIW, I have an '08 and it is also very quiet. Never felt a need for noise suppressor. I can definitely tell a difference between the Gears and the ODs. I'm usually in Gear 2 / OD2. I also run the treble at '0' :D
i had a '11 QR, def a HUGE difference between gears/ODs on that one... at least to me there was... ended up with a Nitro though because it suited me better.

Awesome! I am even more stoked to get mine now. I don't think your #87 QR has the same treble but maybe some of the others you had did the 9:00 treble drop off? How does the treble on the new one work?

I agree with the above. Can't wait to hear it.

Had 4 splawns. Like them for sure. Scott is great. I think some of the older ones there was little difference in gears. The biggest jump was gear 1 to gear 2. 1 definitely more clear articulation. Gear 2 has way more bass, and gear three to my ear just adds more bass to gear 2 sound. I never really used gear 3 cuz the bass is outta hand. But maybe with a slant cab it would be fine? I use a straight cab.

evhfan":2gp9mlfz said:
My new 2016 Splawn QR arrived Friday. Mine's on top here...

IMG_3740_zps64wqrw4d.jpg

Now, this is my 5th Splawn, I've been thru 3 QRs and 1 Nitro. My very first Splawn, that I still have, is a first gen QR...the 87th one ever built, so I've had a long history of these and know Scott pretty well.

This is the FIRST Splawn (QR or Nitro) that I can play without having to boost a little. Other people, like Scott Splawn, can play all the 80s rock on this thing without boosting. I had to boost the old ones...maybe it's the way I play, idk...the notes seemed to die out for me unless I boosted. But then you'd hear Scott play it straight and it was KILLER. Anyway, this is the first Splawn that felt right to me straight out of the box. I can play a full set of VH with this amp straight out of the box...I couldn't do that before.

I'm not sure what the difference is...maybe it's the B+ option. This B+ option (that lowers the plate voltage to 90) is the main reason why I bought into this new iteration QR...plus it's switchable. Killer. Now, the difference between the B+ voltage and the full voltage is VERY subtle. I REALLY can't hear anything different, some of you guys might be able to...I can't. BUT...it must be doing something cause this is the best Splawn I've ever had. Really.

With my old QRs I really couldn't hear a difference between the gears and ODs. With this new one, all the gears/ODs are way more prominent and all usable...It's like different gain channels. Maybe my ears got better...or maybe the amp got better.

The other amazing "feature" is that this amp is DEAD QUIET...even on Gear 3/OD 2. I used to have to put a NS2 in front to quiet it down...but this one doesn't need that.

The "Mid Cut" switch works as expected..."up" it cuts some of the mids..."down" is full mids...I like it "down".

The "Old/New" switch works great also. The "Old" setting sounds like my first gen Splawn...a bit more "open". I like it set to "New" though.

The loop volume is a god send. You can play this amp at any level...even with a baby in the room.

Ask some questions if I left anything out...but this new QR is the best QR I've ever had. And I've had a few. Looking forward to rehearsal this week.

I had one of the very first models with 3 gears, I couldn't tell you year, (04, 05?).. I heard a huge difference in gears. It was AC/DC all day, 2nd nailed Vivian Campbell Holy Diver tone, and 3rd was leads. I did hear a discernable voicing change. I absolutely loved that amp. Had they had a loop volume back then, I'd probably still have! Loudest damn amp I ever heard, (100 watt QR), and ultimately the reason I sold it. It was TOO loud for home use. I'm really gassing for another!

I just got a 50 watt QR with the mid cut and the Old/New. Having not played any of the older QRs, what position is Old for the Old/New switch? Up or down?. Both sound great. One seems a bit more aggressive than the other.

I also just got a 2018 QR... I had a few in the past and this one is the best I have played....congrats on your new Splawn!!!

Necro, but I just sold a Quickrod knowing I would regret it, but I'm thinking a Nitro might be in my future someday. Only reason I sold it, was because I liked the Wizard I picked up better. The Splawn was SICK though. I hate to say it, but the mids on the QR did kind of seem off sometimes to me though :scared: I know its been talked about and some claim they perceived the mids as "weird" and many more say that's just crazy talk, but I did feel the mids could sound a little off to me sometimes. Still a GREAT amp! Easily one of my all time favorites and I will miss it. Maybe the Nitro will be equally awesome if not more to my liking.

akadave":wm63fyhy said:
I just got a 50 watt QR with the mid cut and the Old/New. Having not played any of the older QRs, what position is Old for the Old/New switch? Up or down?. Both sound great. One seems a bit more aggressive than the other.

I just got a 50 watt too, really liking it a lot. I believe the new is in the down position, and the old is in the up position. Old is what you're switching to.

I've had a lot of quickrod, an 05, an 09, a 13 and a couple street rods. The new 50 watter is probably my favorite, or tied for favorite with the 05 I had. I also agree with the OP, it's the easiest to play without an external boost, some thing is different, makes it a lot more fluid. I know the 50 watt is essentially a B+ by default, but theres aomething in the gain structure that I feel is different too.

Marshall Freak":r0q7rsum said:
akadave":r0q7rsum said:

I just got a 50 watt too, really liking it a lot. I believe the new is in the down position, and the old is in the up position. Old is what you're switching to.

I've had a lot of quickrod, an 05, an 09, a 13 and a couple street rods. The new 50 watter is probably my favorite, or tied for favorite with the 05 I had. I also agree with the OP, it's the easiest to play without an external boost, some thing is different, makes it a lot more fluid. I know the 50 watt is essentially a B+ by default, but theres aomething in the gain structure that I feel is different too.

I know it is a different animal completely, but when I use the B+ in my Axe-Fx, it definitely adds more of a fluid feel and seems to be "heavier" sounding. I don't even know really what the B+ does but I know it adds something special. I had a Splawn Competition back around 2006 or so and thought it was an awesome amp then. Can't even imagine how badass the amp would sound now.

311splawndude":1mwawddx said:

Sup 311!

My promod and Nitro are dead silent too. Treble at zero here also. I see a huge difference with gears and OD1/OD2.

I haven't used the nitro ina year or so tbh. I have 23 tube amps at the moment. Promod sees use though.

I love splawn though. cheers

I have an option to purchase either a 2011 or 2014 QR, which would be best or should I just pay more for a 2018?, thanks.

If the 2014 has the b+ then by all means do that.
If not you should really consider a new one. A new fully loaded quickrod is that much better imo...

csamarin":3444hqgw said:
I have an option to purchase either a 2011 or 2014 QR, which would be best or should I just pay more for a 2018?, thanks.

I have heard other people mention the Quick Rod has a "STIFF" feel to them. Can anyone confirm if newer models are smoother and dont have the "Stiffness" others have mentioned. Thanks

I think it’s bc Scott is offering the old or original circuit again. I had one of the first B+ amps and it was cool but the amp still needed boosted. I’ve built 2 QRs and 2 Nitro amps and they are not incredibly high gain amps. After I played my first EVH 5153 50 watt ( and later bought the 100 watt and the S) I was done with fighting Splawn amps. My buddy has a 2006 QR and it is a killer amp. But for what you will pay for a Splawn ( or not pay if you get his double secret probation insider pricing ) you can get so much more bang for the buck. Ok....I’m off topic. Love to hear clips...enjoy the amp !

Back