Anyone Into King Diamond?

Panzer917-30":e6arf0je said:
Previous in this thread is a mention of the programmed drums on the Eye. There us a video(cant seen to find) of King addressing this issue. He says that the drums were all played on a E-kit and the sounds were triggered samples. The only drum machine used was during the writing stage, when they worked independently and he sent ideas to Andy.

I have listened to The Eye recently and I think KD is telling the truth. Easiest way for me to tell a drum machine part is to find passages that are unlikely or impossible for a human to play and I dont find much of that here.

It's possible that it was played, and being 1990, it could have that sound. However, Pyromania is a drum machine, but most people don't or didn't know that. Crimson Glory Transcendence is a drum machine, but most don't know that. Judas Priest Ram it Down is a drum machine. I'm sure that there are a lot more. To me, the tell isn't the impossible passages, because all of those aforementioned records are tasteful, but not impossible including The Eye, but it's the high hat and cymbals. Everything starts with what I call the Bonham beat. Boom Cha Boom Cha, Boom Boom Cha, with a steady chi chi chi chi high hat. Sure, real drummers play a traditional back beat, but it's more prevalent when programming, and if you use an electric kit, you still use real cymbals, because those are easier to control (see Van Halen from 1984 onwards). Lastly, Snowy played on the Merciful fate record and has also played in Dream Evil, and while those are similar to The Eye, his style is a little more varied than the simple beats of The Eye.

I love King, I worshipped those early KD records in high school and whether he did or didn't use a drum machine, it doesn't change my love for those records. I'm looking forward to seeing this tour. I actually love that he brought his wife along to beef up the harmonies and high notes, it adds a layer to his live shows that he didn't have in the 80's and 90's.

shredhead7":xvtfur54 said:
I actually love that he brought his wife along to beef up the harmonies and high notes, it adds a layer to his live shows that he didn't have in the 80's and 90's.

Yeah, its a great addition. Not cheating in any way. He's still doing everything in the proper register but the vocal support makes it sound more like the recorded versions.

Big king diamond fan here. I personally think some of the best metal riffs ever can be found on his various CDs. I am contemplating going to his Brooklyn show this Thursday by myself I’ve never seen him live and would love to.

:confused:

1st time I ever heard about KD was me & my bud watching MTV (back in the day) one night and seeing this:

We both fell out of our chairs laughing our asses off! The falsetto caterwauling (doubled sometimes), "spooky" KD ghost flitting about in the vid, the "corpse paint" makeup... the line, "let me help you... out of the chair... G-G-G-Grandmaaaa"... and the "let me touch you... let me feel youuu... ooooh!"

Few years later I did grab "Them" and "Abigail" because they had spooky covers and what seemed to be interesting song titles... but just never got into it. I think that video ruined it forever... no way I would ever take KD seriously with that "feelin'-up grandma" schlockfest (which was burned into my brain and provided hours of humorous references in the future).

The guitar playing was cool, though.

Fuck it, they’re playing the Palladium in Worcester Friday night, I can’t find anyone that wants to go... maybe I’ll go alone. Really want to see them. Anyone on here local to Worcester Ma wanna see a show ???

JerEvil":1u94vg0a said:
Here's a version of "Welcome Home" my old death metal band did. I do the first solo break, the Pete Blakk lead. Our other guitar player at the time did all the recording and mixing. HATE the snare sound. Our drummer is a huge Death fan which shows in his drumming....

^This is killer :thumbsup:

I dressed up as King Diamond for Halloween a few years ago. That's my friend Danielle copping my tongue in her ear.

halloweenskate.jpg

I love King Diamond's catalogue all through the 1980s, but my favourite is the early Mercyful Fate stuff with Hank Schermann and Mike Denner on both rhythm and lead guitars. I liked the "edgy punk vibe" they had with the black metal riffs and solos. I'm also curious about the guitar tones of them as well as later with Any LaRoque. I read that Hank used a Boss flanger and an overdrive pedal in front of his Marshall Plexi. It gave a good "curl" to the texture of the guitar tone.

lll":1f0izrip said:
1st time I ever heard about KD was me & my bud watching MTV (back in the day) one night and seeing this:

We both fell out of our chairs laughing our asses off! The falsetto caterwauling (doubled sometimes), "spooky" KD ghost flitting about in the vid, the "corpse paint" makeup... the line, "let me help you... out of the chair... G-G-G-Grandmaaaa"... and the "let me touch you... let me feel youuu... ooooh!"

For me that video is hilarious because it looks so '1988", really dated. The big puffed up mullet haircuts, that somehow "1980s-style characteristic" cutesy tongue-in-teeth smile of the young version of the grandma (the girl) holding the boy, and the general over the top nature of the video. I get a bit grossed out by the incestuous overtones, and I find the rape of the grandmother quite terrifying (during the bit where King sings "Are you alright?").

But I hadn't seen that video or heard those songs until I was already a huge fan of the earlier Mercyful Fate material. And while i do like the guitar tones on Them, they sound more "congested" than the more open 'ringing' guitar tones from 1987's Abigail. I read that there was so much reverb on the guitars that they said it sounded like it was recorded in a church!

crwnedblasphemy":ur39ggin said:
My first album was "Them." Ran out and bought it after seeing Welcome Home on Headbanger's Ball

headbangers ball was awesome!! a lot of good music on that show!

Back