Randall Satan 50 is announced!

I guess they found another factory to build the amps. Wonder how much these will end up going for and if they'll be readily available.

WANT

How can these Ola amps not have midi? I see his live rig where he is using another product to integrate his Fractal pedalboard....is putting midi in amps that much of a hassle and cost?

Not a metal guy but i do think that amp sounds fantastic. What i find interesting though, is the fact that it only has 3 preamp tubes and is putting out that much gain. I am guessing a lot of transistor/diode gain is built into this circuit? I suppose that is no different than a cameron modded JMP though.

Do want indeed! Now I need to know how many weeks/months I need to work for this one haha

Kapo_Polenton":zhazuw35 said:
Not a metal guy but i do think that amp sounds fantastic. What i find interesting though, is the fact that it only has 3 preamp tubes and is putting out that much gain. I am guessing a lot of transistor/diode gain is built into this circuit? I suppose that is no different than a cameron modded JMP though.

Depending on design they could be using 4 gain stages in that configuration which is a potentially a LOT of gain. Your assumption of diode clipping isn't necessarily correct.

technomancer":394yqtvg said:
Kapo_Polenton":394yqtvg said:

Depending on design they could be using 4 gain stages in that configuration which is a potentially a LOT of gain. Your assumption of diode clipping isn't necessarily correct.

Yep, I'm not an amp expert by any means, but usually amps that have a lot of preamp tubes are using them for things other than gain stages like reverb, effects loops, etc.

I would think the kill/boost is transistor/diode based. Wouldn't it be the same type of circuit as a tube screamer or some such pedal banging the front end of the amp? TBH,I am really not knowledgeable enough about that stuff to know for sure.

While this is cool, I'm hoping this means the big head will be easier to find now too. There's a stable of about 6 amps I've become extremely interested in over the past several months and the Satan/Natas is on the list pretty high. It's hard finding an amp that can balance the 8th string well without going full on djent which I don't want.

Still, the 50 looks great too.

It says a Mike Fortin designed package. Hmmm. I thought Mike left Randall? Did he do some after work with them to get this 50w produced, or is Randall tagging onto his prior design of the 100w Satan? Interesting.

Starman22":23vy8trt said:
It says a Mike Fortin designed package. Hmmm. I thought Mike left Randall? Did he do some after work with them to get this 50w produced, or is Randall tagging onto his prior design of the 100w Satan? Interesting.
He confirmed it was designed by him. I'm guessing before he left.

Sorry, I'll never buy one of these.

I dig Mike's amps, and I have owned several. But I can't get past this silly name. I'm not going to have an amp in my house with a "Satan" nameplate on it. It might as well say "Cunt" on it.

C'mon, Mike, I don't want to rationalize this kind of shit to my kids looking at my gear.

SMH

By no means an amp guru either but i have built a few and yeah, i suppose you could make the gain happen with resistors and caps but i too am thinking that built in KILL is driving it like a TS or some other pedal would. Also, given how tight it was, that's what made me think that there might be some transistor love going on in there. Doesn't really matter though, I boost my amps and i like the sound of this Randall.

Are people really excited about a Satan 50-watt? I've never tried the 100w version but the clips and reviews I've seen have been pretty lackluster.

Starman22":nmsum5te said:

Mike designed this 50W awhile ago. Ola has had the 50W for over a year. It’s been in the background of several of his vids.

I had the 100W and it was a killer amp. Very well built. Very, very tight and modern mid boosted. Pretty much what you expect... but the feel is different from most of the competition. Cool feature set too.

I honestly had thought Randall Amps had gone out of business completely. Surprised to see this.

Wizard of Ozz":pl621coo said:

I honestly had thought Randall Amps had gone out of business completely. Surprised to see this.
LOL me too.

Wasn't hoping for it, just thought they had fallen off the edge of the world.

Wizard of Ozz":1fayblxw said:
Starman22":1fayblxw said:

Mike designed this 50W awhile ago. Ola has had the 50W for over a year. It’s been in the background of several of his vids.

I had the 100W and it was a killer amp. Very well built. Very, very tight and modern mid boosted. Pretty much what you expect... but the feel is different from most of the competition. Cool feature set too.

How would you compare the feel to your MTL? I have a feeling that what I'm after amp wise is nearly sold state feeling in nature. I want the breath and dimensionality that's usually found with tubes though. BTW, have you ever played any of the AMT Stone Head amps?

Back