I pulled a speaker and found this crap stuck to it...

barnesjd

What's the best way to get this junk off? It looks like it might've been laid face down on some cardboard which stuck to it. I doubt it hurts anything, but I'd like it to be clean so I can potentially sell or trade it.

Here's a shot of the speaker:

Closer up:

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpg
    IMG_6713.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 1,844
  • IMG_6714.jpg
    IMG_6714.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 1,821
I know that sometimes that edge material can be tacky feeling. It must have been placed face down on some cardboard for a period if time in an environment that was warm/hot.

Maybe try some delicate removal surgery with your wife's/girlfriends tweasers (?)

Get a black sharpie and make it black. BAM......like it was never there. I would not entertain trying to remove it, but thats my own opinion.

Yeah true removal probably isn't necessary, but we all know how picky buyers can be. So with full disclosure given, the seller might need to lower the prospective selling price.

Yeah, I tried some "delicate removal". I gently scratched some off with my finger nail. It doesn't come off easily or cleanly for that matter. I'll probably just go the sharpie route and include these "before" photos for full disclosure. Thanks for the input!

I wouldn't use a Sharpie if I were you. I remember reading a few different sources talking about putting some kind of liquid on speakers to help them break in. Maybe whatever liquid that is would be safe to use. If anything, at least enough to moisten the paper so you can scratch it off.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Seems like my safest bet is to just leave as is for now since no one seems to think it would affect the sound anyway.

I bought my buddy's old 1960 Lead cab and the 75s had what looked like sawdust or fine wood shavings stuck to them. Looked very similar to your pic. I don't think it affected the sound at all or if it did, it definitely wasn't noticeable to me.

I had a pair of H30s back in the day that had some white fuzz stuck to them like that. Loaded them in a few cabs in a V30 H30 cross for years. Worked fine. I ended up selling them down river, fuzz and all.

I would just leave it and insist it's no big deal. It won't effect the sound. If anyone gives you a hard time, tell them to put grill cloth on their cab.

Speakers are like the opposite of children:

They are supposed to be heard and not seen.

Years ago (2002 or so) I had a speaker show up like this with white fuzz (styrofoam shredded perhaps) on it. Contacted Dr. Decibel @ Celestion. He said the foam would be a problem for equal movement of the cone in relation to where there was no white gunk on the cone.

Said to get tweezers, remove as much as possible, then get acetone and an old toothbrush, dip the brush lightly in the acetone and brush away the rest of the white foam/gunk, or whatever.

He said to do it a little at a time so you didn't remove all of the doping. The one I got sounded better after I did this, I'll give him that. But it looks like poor packing on the part of whoever got that speaker to you, since Celestion speakers USUALLY are packed in cardboard boxes that are tan inside, not white.

FWIW

So I’ve worked on this without luck. I still need to try acetone, tho.

A recone would replace this part, right? I’m seriously contemplating a recone since I don’t care about this speaker other than trade/sale and I’d like to try my hand at a recone. Seems reasonable?

If you’re willing to chance it and possibly redone anyway,try some wd40, or pb blaster and a toothbrush.

I've had several like this, happens when they are sitting face down in the box, without the plastic bag they come packed in.

I usually scrape it with my finger nail. But yes small amounts of acetone as mentioned (just get the paper wet) will help remove it.

Acetone or a low percent isopropyl alcohol will work great (like 70% percent). Just do what Jim mentioned above, use a tooth brush and make sure you don't over saturate otherwise it will lift the doping.

3M adhesive remover is another degreaser that would work well. Citrus based so it's a less abrasive then acetone or alcohol based degreasers but will still lift adhesive. The 3M stuff also works great to clean tolex/vinyl and will leave your cab smelling orange fresh. A little more spendy but it has multiple use. We use it at work to clean vinyl/tolex/plastic upholstery.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-6040-ADHESIVE ... trus+based

barnesjd":3fpojjfu said:
What's the best way to get this junk off? It looks like it might've been laid face down on some cardboard which stuck to it. I doubt it hurts anything, but I'd like it to be clean so I can potentially sell or trade it.

Here's a shot of the speaker:

Closer up:

What kind of speaker is it?

Back