Ceriatone King Kong: What Say You?

Junk Yard Dog

I play modded Marshalls. Love an amp that has a lot of range in the EQ with variable options, since I play in a cover band and some nights we play rock, others hard rock, and others early to some modern metal.

Clips I've heard of the Chupa and Yeti are great. I can't find to many KK vids or those where I thought it sounded amazing. I like the amp features, but not crazy that their loops suck (literally).

Anyway, just seeing if these are worth a shot and if they CUT live and have some kerrang/kick to them.

Cheers!

I also have not heard one King Kong clip that sounds remotely like a CCV or even as good as the Yeti or Chupa clips that are out there. Some say the KK is based off the Yeti circuit. All the KK clips sound very harsh and not very pleasing to say the least. Even Nick's modded KK seemed to lack in tone and seemed somewhat harsh, granted it was better than the stock KK clips but no where near a CCV. If there was an amp for Nick to reverse engineer you think he would replicate it to a tee he might have some buyers.

Scottosans CCV clone is the closest to a CCV that I have heard, bit e aggressiveness good tight low end response without being harsh.

To my knowledge I think all the early Cameron built CCV's had the very same insert loop. It was only the Brad era built ones that got the metro loop installed, I don't think Mark had a tube or solid state loop designed for the CCV but I could be wrong, I have seen a couple of tube driven loops in his modded Marshalls but unsure of the design but most got the standard insert loop.

I have one but it was allegedly modded to be like a CCV. Which run/era of CCV I don't know...if it even really is any of them. But after playing it a bit I like it a lot. Sounds way better with clippers engaged than without though. scottosan says that is normal but I thought I've heard psychodave say it should sound great without clippers.

I installed a Metro loop in mine and after adding a global master volume after the loop it sounds and works great. And it fits the existing holes perfectly but the SEND/RETURN are reversed. Any decent label maker can fix that.

Yeah, most everything I've read is that they sound nothing like the CCV and from the clips I've heard, they don't sound as good as the Chupa or Yeti. ...I wish it had that Chupa/Yeti tone and grind.

It sounds like it has to be modded further to sound it's best and to me, that's not worth the price, unless it already comes modded on the used market.

I had one , I did some changes to voice it differently, and to change the way the presence and resonance controls work, because stock they are nothing like the way the ccv is set up. I also did some changes to the preamp to make it like the ccv I owned specs. I didn't mess with the clippers, I did also add a metro loop which is better than a passive loop if you 100% need a loop and cannot wet dry, it still does color the tone a little IMO, but the chassis is drilled to the same hole spacing as the metro loop so it is literally drop in and a few small changes if need be.

it's a cool amp , it will get you in the ballpark of the typical Jose marshall thing and all of it's "quirks"

There are some major differences in voltages and filtering which is really why you won't be able to achieve that higher voltage feel, and stiffness. King kong runs on typical marshall plate voltage.

dawnofdreamx97":t8ulbrgq said:
I had one , I did some changes to voice it differently, and to change the way the presence and resonance controls work, because stock they are nothing like the way the ccv is set up. I also did some changes to the preamp to make it like the ccv I owned specs. I didn't mess with the clippers, I did also add a metro loop which is better than a passive loop if you 100% need a loop and cannot wet dry, it still does color the tone a little IMO, but the chassis is drilled to the same hole spacing as the metro loop so it is literally drop in and a few small changes if need be.

it's a cool amp , it will get you in the ballpark of the typical Jose marshall thing and all of it's "quirks"

There are some major differences in voltages and filtering which is really why you won't be able to achieve that higher voltage feel, and stiffness. King kong runs on typical marshall plate voltage.
I had heard the voltages make a big difference there, mine has stock Ceriatone iron and runs at 460v. I think the Mercury MP100-67M in their online catalogue might get me the right voltages but that's a lot of scratch. That and a MMO-100MX OT would run me over $600. Ouch. :doh:

I've not heard a CCV clip that sounded anything like the actual CCV I owned for two years. Can't go by clips alone with these amps.

The CCV I had was disappointing. I had it and my Chupacabra side by side and I got rid of the CCV. That said, if I wanted a two-channel Jose style amp, I'd try a Henning.

FourT6and2":3r8ybe9p said:
I've not heard a CCV clip that sounded anything like the actual CCV I owned for two years. Can't go by clips alone with these amps.

The CCV I had was disappointing. I had it and my Chupacabra side by side and I got rid of the CCV. That said, if I wanted a two-channel Jose style amp, I'd try a Henning.

I'm looking at the Bottle Rocket right now. I really only need one channel that cleans up well. I've got 3 awesome amps already, but when I see amps used that I wanna try, the GAS sets in. There's another thread on here that I'm inquiring in regarding the Bottle Rocket.

Thanks for the tip.

harddriver":52keubip said:
I also have not heard one King Kong clip that sounds remotely like a CCV or even as good as the Yeti or Chupa clips that are out there. Some say the KK is based off the Yeti circuit. All the KK clips sound very harsh and not very pleasing to say the least. Even Nick's modded KK seemed to lack in tone and seemed somewhat harsh, granted it was better than the stock KK clips but no where near a CCV. If there was an amp for Nick to reverse engineer you think he would replicate it to a tee he might have some buyers.

Scottosans CCV clone is the closest to a CCV that I have heard, bit e aggressiveness good tight low end response without being harsh.

To my knowledge I think all the early Cameron built CCV's had the very same insert loop. It was only the Brad era built ones that got the metro loop installed, I don't think Mark had a tube or solid state loop designed for the CCV but I could be wrong, I have seen a couple of tube driven loops in his modded Marshalls but unsure of the design but most got the standard insert loop.
thanks. That’s right. The Cameron built used the interrupt loop and the Brad era used the Metro loop. I am currently working on an external buffer with adjustable input and output that I hop will work well with the Ceriatone and other interupt loops.

FourT6and2":3vcdzrpk said:

We all have different ears. I love my CCV, but it was made for me directly. However I did play mine with the #3 made CCV and differences were marginal at best.

I like Steve, but I was at an amp fest several years ago (with like 25 different amps) and someone had the cherry bomb. It was horrible compared to every other amp. The owner listed it for sale the next Monday.

Regarding the CCV’s insert loop, mine works perfectly with rack effects that have input and return controls with no tone suck. I use a Boss SE-50.

psychodave":39flgh6k said:
FourT6and2":39flgh6k said:

We all have different ears. I love my CCV, but it was made for me directly. However I did play mine with the #3 made CCV and differences were marginal at best.

I like Steve, but I was at an amp fest several years ago (with like 25 different amps) and someone had the cherry bomb. It was horrible compared to every other amp. The owner listed it for sale the next Monday.

Regarding the CCV’s insert loop, mine works perfectly with rack effects that have input and return controls with no tone suck. I use a Boss SE-50.

I've never played a Henning. But like I said, if I were in the market for a two-channel Jose style amp, I might give one a try. I don't need two-channel amps. And I'm all set when it comes to the diode clipping thing lol. BUT... I do want a Fortin Meshuggah and/or the Fortin Hiwatt thing. Just to see what they're all about. Would I want a real Cameron Jose? Sure. But the CCV turned me off a bit. It was ok, but nothing special to be honest. It sounded kinda like a Bogner XTC with a bit more upper-mid emphasis. It didn't have the angry pissed off grind I was expecting. It was kinda dark and smooth and the build quality was atrocious.

psychodave":32t9h2ci said:

vw-oh-snap-o.gif

psychodave":2ex6j54m said:
You mean the James Lugo LA amp fest?

psychodave":2oo5l6v2 said:
FourT6and2":2oo5l6v2 said:

I had a Cherry Bomb and I hated it. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It had a loose, muddy low end to it that wouldn't quit. Even clean boosted, it was too saggy, and I dig a little sag. The clips I've heard of the Bottle Rocket definitely sound better than the CB.

Zado":1kn4mhtk said:
psychodave":1kn4mhtk said:
You mean the James Lugo LA amp fest?

No. It was at Rockinchippy’s amp fest in NY.

Beyond Black":320x1tu1 said:
psychodave":320x1tu1 said:
FourT6and2":320x1tu1 said:

I had a Cherry Bomb and I hated it. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It had a loose, muddy low end to it that wouldn't quit. Even clean boosted, it was too saggy, and I dig a little sag. The clips I've heard of the Bottle Rocket definitely sound better than the CB.

The Bottle Rocket does sound good in clips. But then again, so did the CCV. And I hated the CCV after I actually got one.

Wizard of Ozz":12ekrgzf said:
FourT6and2":12ekrgzf said:
But then again, so did the CCV. And I hated the CCV after I actually got one.

... you are not alone.

That’s what makes the world go around. :thumbsup:

I have a long list of amps I don’t like. lol. First amp that comes to mind is the JCM800, then SLO, then Diezel amps. Heck, I even got sick of my 2C++ and sold it. I’ve had my CCV for 8+ years. Still going strong.

FourT6and2":17oh2df1 said:
Beyond Black":17oh2df1 said:
psychodave":17oh2df1 said:
FourT6and2":17oh2df1 said:

The Bottle Rocket does sound good in clips. But then again, so did the CCV. And I hated the CCV after I actually got one.
Around two years ago, my buddy had a CCV and decided to sell it. I was thinking of buying it from him, so I took it home and played with it for a week. I liked it, but didn't love it. I wanted to, because I had a feeling that it would become quite valuable and collectible, but it wasn't an amp that I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE, so back it went. My buddy also had a Cameron modded Sovtek 50 watt that smoked the CCV for tone that he really regrets letting go. That little fucker was a tone machine.

psychodave":26z0ulnx said:
Wizard of Ozz":26z0ulnx said:
FourT6and2":26z0ulnx said:
But then again, so did the CCV. And I hated the CCV after I actually got one.

... you are not alone.

That’s what makes the world go around. :thumbsup:

I have a long list of amps I don’t like. lol. First amp that comes to mind is the JCM800, then SLO, then Diezel amps. Heck, I even got sick of my 2C++ and sold it. I’ve had my CCV for 8+ years. Still going strong.

Completely agree. No right or wrong here. A lot of people jump on the CCV bandwagon, but have never played one. And then there are all the copy-cats... with who knows what tweaks-n-changes.

Back