New Preamp Pedal day New video added

bubbastain

Figured I'd post this over here too. Just got this Mr. Black Electronic Instrument Preamp pedal. Supposedly in the TC Integrated preamp ballpark so I was intrigued enough to buy it. They only made 30 of them and not a single person posted a clip or review of it. So I kinda had to buy it just to put some info out there. :LOL: :LOL: I don't know how Mr. Black intended it to be used, but for tight, saturated and grindy metal tones it rocks. These are just cheap iPhone clips using my POS First Act with a low output humbucker.

New video.
Spent some good loud time with it today. Used my First Act guitar with a Sheptone Tribute(PAF) and new strings into the VTM60. I have all the tone knobs and the gain knob at noon. All the dipswitches are off until 4:16 in and I turn on the Gain 2 dipswitch. I'm also using a noise gate first in the signal chain to calm the feedback at crazy gain levels. The amp is loud and I'm only a foot in front of it. This one is longer but I turn more knobs.

napalmdeath":27wz2cik said:
You going into the loop?? Ever try the BE-OD in the loop return??

In both clips I’m running into the front of the amp. I have tried the BE-OD in the loop before just to experiment.

Tronald Dump":2ix78yd6 said:
Dig the way it sounds into the VTM. Killer snarl bro.

I’ve actually figured it out a bit more since those first day clips. If I turn the gain and volume knobs all the way down I can use it just as a clean boost with like 21 db of boost and it’s killer into the VTM and quiet.

Spent some good loud time with it today. Used my First Act guitar with a Sheptone Tribute(PAF) and new strings into the VTM60. I have all the tone knobs and the gain knob at noon. All the dipswitches are off until 4:16 in and I turn on the Gain 2 dipswitch. I'm also using a noise gate first in the signal chain to calm the feedback at crazy gain levels. The amp is loud and I'm only a foot in front of it. This one is longer but I turn more knobs.

hmm but is this how the pedal sounds like? cause at the 4:10 minute mark where you disengage all controls and let the amp play you can hear that the character kinda comes from the amp rather than the pedal and when you engage the pedal there's just more juice.

could you by any chance try what it sounds like into a return/power amp, basically straight plugging to the power amp to hear what the isolated pedal delivers. :rock:
but still, good sounds really

K-Roll":3dq73abm said:
hmm but is this how the pedal sounds like? cause at the 4:10 minute mark where you disengage all controls and let the amp play you can hear that the character kinda comes from the amp rather than the pedal and when you engage the pedal there's just more juice.

could you by any chance try what it sounds like into a return/power amp, basically straight plugging to the power amp to hear what the isolated pedal delivers. :rock:
but still, good sounds really

I tried it in front of a clean amp, but not into the loop. Maybe I'll try that later today. In front of a clean amp the pedal will add some gain and the boost really makes it pop. But I'm pretty much using it to add more "juice" to get tight metal tones. A tubescreamer type pedal works really well in front of the VTM too, but this has a good deal more clarity, versatility and grind to it. Then there's the boost switch too which can be set as purely a clean boost with the volume and gain knobs all the way down and the bass and treble at noon.

is that vtm modded btw? cause i remember them as mediocre amps but in this specific case I LOVE IT! :rock:

K-Roll":2n9od0wj said:
is that vtm modded btw? cause i remember them as mediocre amps but in this specific case I LOVE IT! :rock:

This particular VTM 60 is stock. I really like VTM’s. Not super high gain or modern sounding on its own, but very versatile single channel amp.

Back