Keep old guitar mags?

I had hundreds of them dating back to the mid 80’s.
I told my old singer I was looking to get rid of them. He played guitar and said he’d like them. I helped him fill his entire trunk.
Cool right?

I ask him if he’d been enjoying the mags. He looks me directly in the eye and tells me, “nah, I took them right over to the used book and music store, traded them in on credit and got a stack of cd’s”.
Yeah, you read that right. Guy was a complete ass. Never liked his singing or his crappy guitar playing. Worse than that, he had no character.
There’s my mag story. :aww:

I like reading old 80's guitar mags to realize that the 80's guys are still falling for the same ole "new best thing out" that they are now. :LOL: :LOL: Just kidding guys..kind of.

I have all of mine from the 80's up through the 90's when I quit buying magazines. I occasionally look through them.

Several years back, I sold all my old car magazines on ebay and made pretty good $ on those. Sounds like maybe that won't work on guitar magazines?

I've got most of the GFTPMs from the 80s and early 90s. Most of the late 90s to present mags have gone in the recycle bin but I keep a few dozen around for the transcriptions.

I was going through my books and magazines this weekend. A box of car book went to the thrift store and a bunch of old Playboys, Penthouse and Juggs went to the recycle bin.

:yes:

I have magazines going back to 86 that I bought and then I bought collections from others. That being said......mine are like Time capsules for me. I can remember what songs I could and could not play and where I was in my development. My wife would love for me to trash them but I never will.

I am a "lite" KISS memorabilia collector and have a bunch of the KISS Guitar World and Guitar magazines. I kept a few "special" ones like the "3D" one from the early 2000s.

I had about 700 from the 70's till recent. I tried selling them and most are worth nothing. I gave them away and they recycled them instead of selling them. I kept about thirty-forty.

I've got several bookcases of every guitar mag known to man.83 to 91...when I had a non musician life....and then 96 onward.

I am serious pacrat for books and magazines.guitar, computer art,aviation and auto racing. My wife only complains about the space they take up because her 4-5 bookcases are already full and overflowing?

My solution....my recording studio back wall is all bookcases filled with reference books and mags. It makes an excellent acoustic treatment due to the chaotic irregularities that prevent return waves.......yeah I'm not a packrat I'm an acoustic fuckin genus.

Panzer917-30":3u2mhb2k said:
I've got several bookcases of every guitar mag known to man.83 to 91...when I had a non musician life....and then 96 onward.

I am serious pacrat for books and magazines.guitar, computer art,aviation and auto racing. My wife only complains about the space they take up because her 4-5 bookcases are already full and overflowing?

My solution....my recording studio back wall is all bookcases filled with reference books and mags. It makes an excellent acoustic treatment due to the chaotic irregularities that prevent return waves.......yeah I'm not a packrat I'm an acoustic fuckin genus.

This ^ for the win :LOL: :LOL:

I've done the same thing with my pro-audio mags. Collected every SOS, Electronic Musician, Future Music, Keyboard Magazine etc., from the early '90s to 2005 or so, and also made a database (hand-written) of articles and whatnot in a ledger, but in the end, they'll probably prove to be more-useful as a diffusion wall due to the above-mentioned irregularities.

I got a wall full...tempted over and over to toss them...

The wife would really love for me to find another home for them and I was just about there.

Just dug out an old '92 or '94 issue a weeks or so ago to look over the solo section of Meat Puppets Backwater...I couldn't find any decent tabs anywhere.

And now I have re negotiated with myself to hang on to them for a while longer

I have loads from the 70's through the 90's and I'm going to get rid of them soon. .I keep EVERYTHING, but just not feasible anymore. If there's any 'rare' ones that anyone reading this is trying to find, let me know. Although mine aren't in the best condition, maybe I have that one you've been looking for .. ha (Guitar Player, Guitar World , Guitar for the Practicing Musician mostly)
Eric

Had all the Guitar For the Practicing Musician/Guitar Ones from the time they started to the time they finished... we moved and were drowning in books and mags, so I only took a selection of faves. Have regretted it ever since. Every once in a while I surf eBay looking for lots of them in the 80s era to buy a few back but people mostly want to sell single issues for like $10 a pop as if it is a collector's item, so I never end up buying anything.

I grew up reading that mag... did not realize how often I went back to them either...

This is the freaking information age, you'd think they'd be available via a library ebook program (as many current mags are). Sigh. If anyone ever wants to unload some GftPM's or G1's hook me up with a PM.

Elric":2vimdm40 said:
Had all the Guitar For the Practicing Musician/Guitar Ones from the time they started to the time they finished... we moved and were drowning in books and mags, so I only took a selection of faves. Have regretted it ever since. Every once in a while I surf eBay looking for lots of them in the 80s era to buy a few back but people mostly want to sell single issues for like $10 a pop as if it is a collector's item, so I never end up buying anything.

I grew up reading that mag... did not realize how often I went back to them either...

This is the freaking information age, you'd think they'd be available via a library ebook program (as many current mags are). Sigh. If anyone ever wants to unload some GftPM's or G1's hook me up with a PM.

I haven't checked in a few years, but at one point there was a GFTPM facebook page that had a link to archived issues.

Kept mine. Have a wardrobe full of them.
Too many childhood dreams associated with them.
Old ads of vintage gear!!
The Richie Sambora one with his hat covering his face and
holding the first Zoom hand held unit!

Cant let go! LOL!

If anyone wants to get rid of some please let me know. I bought 500+ guitar magazines (including full Guitar Player sets from around 1970 through 2006) on Craigslist for $50. I am always looking for cool magazines. Thanks!

Back