Pickup ?

krueger

Has anybody ever put an F-spaced (.53mm) bridge pickup in a Les Paul type guitar and if so what was the outcome?

Yeah it is fine.

I prefer the width to match due to OCD but otherwise it is and sounds fine to my ears.

I have also seen guitars having "stock" pickups that did not line up perfectly. No big deal.

An F-spaced pickup lined up better in my Les Paul.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "Nashville" bridges are a little wider than the ABR-1's, and generally line up better with the wider pickups. However, I don't believe it's an issue either way. My PRS guitars had standard spaced pickups, with "F-spaced" bridges right from the factory.

Unless you have a vintage ABR-1 bridge, the 53mm actually lines up better IMHO with the Nashville type bridges.

The guitar in question is a Knaggs Kenai. I have a bunch of Arcane pickups that are all .53mm - I am going to go ahead and install one. I appreciate the feedback everyone!

The 53 mm lines up slightly better. I believe Gibson uses 52 mm on some of their bridge pickups. So that’s l Me 1/2 a mm difference on each side.

That said, there is a discernible difference in tone between 50 and 53 mm pickups. There has to be... you are adding 3 mm quick changes the magnet field, etc. I really hear it with Duncan pickups. I’ve yet to hear a new 53 mm distortion or JB sound like the older 50 mm versions.

Back