KSR Juno and Friedman BE-100 "In Room" vids

JerEvil

Ok so some folks have been pretty vocal over the last few days about preference in amp demo formats so I made a couple "in room" vids using my Zoom Q8 to capture audio. I am looking at doing something new with my stuff if people are interested in showing both mic'd full demos and then either incorporating the in-room sounds cutting back and forth OR doing separate in-room ones altogether.

We shall see but here is some vid of the Juno. This is the first time I got to turn it up more than at conversational volume. As you can hear, there are no sting sounds. Both were loud enough to start "getting the goods" but not QUITE drummer loud.

Cab was my Splawn 212 loaded with Celestion Creamback 65's and guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro with Balaguer Evergreen humbuckers.

Here's the Juno:

Here's the BE-100 vid:

halomojo":1xr059pi said:
Both sound great! Thanks for the videos. Are you leaning towards one amp or the other?
Honestly man, not really. Both are really killer. You can hear at like 2:05 on the Juno vid and 1:10 on the Friedman, both can sound pretty close through the same guitar and cab but still different enough to warrant both! LOL! They feel and respond differently when playing and I think the BE is inherently a bit more open in the mid where the Juno is thicker.

If feasible, I will get a Juno to go with the BE.

I liked the KSR more since it seemed to cut better, but it sounded a bit muffled. The BE sounded bloated and tubby in the bottom end.

For the style you were playing the KSR just had a tightness and focus that I liked better. The top end of the BE-100 I liked a little better as it had more of the traditional Marshall thing going on. I sure hope to play a KSR in person one day. Really interested if they have a model that does a great classic rock tone as well as heavy. Most heavy centric amps fail at medium gain rock tones. Usually somewhat sterile as they're filtered and designed for tight low end with high gain.

Jer, that sounds goooood.

I agonized over the decision for over a month but now I am so glad I chose this amp. I love that it’s different from other modded Marshall type amps (of which I’ve iwned my share). The Juno has some real thump and thickness thats gonna sound great for modern rock AND do the 80s/90s modded Marshall thing too.

skoora":2q857obp said:
For the style you were playing the KSR just had a tightness and focus that I liked better. The top end of the BE-100 I liked a little better as it had more of the traditional Marshall thing going on. I sure hope to play a KSR in person one day. Really interested if they have a model that does a great classic rock tone as well as heavy. Most heavy centric amps fail at medium gain rock tones. Usually somewhat sterile as they're filtered and designed for tight low end with high gain.
Yeah the Friedman is definitely more open/in your face where the KSR kicks you in the nethers a bit more. Still misses a lot of what you feel in the room of course when hearing back but I think it captured the sprit of what was happening pretty well. I'll definitely dial in some more classic tones for the regular demo.

DeathbyButterslax":2q857obp said:
Really liking the KSR here. BE sounds great too though, its got more of a growl to it.
Just like that extra tightness that the Juno has.
Yeah the BE is pretty pissed sounding. Was listening back to my Butterslax demo and honestly the BE doesn't feel any less aggressive to me. The Juno is WAY tight but not stiff if that makes sense.

Phil M":2q857obp said:
Jer, that sounds goooood.

I agonized over the decision for over a month but now I am so glad I chose this amp. I love that it’s different from other modded Marshall type amps (of which I’ve iwned my share). The Juno has some real thump and thickness thats gonna sound great for modern rock AND do the 80s/90s modded Marshall thing too.
Yeah man, glad Kyle sent me the amp for the demos! The Juno definitely sales what I'd call Modern Classic. I covers a LOT of ground. Interested to hear it through some other speakers as well.

Jer, was thinking the same on the speakers. Some V30s, H75s ... I’ll be running mine through V30s and Scumback J75s.

Well, shit. Every demo you do is the tits. I agree that the Juno sounds a little tighter and cuts. We talked this weekend about the BE50 and I opened it up at band jam yesterday and do not regret my decision to purchase the amp. It's glorious. I still wish it was a little bit tighter like what I"m hearing on the Juno, but the trade off compared to my other modded Marshall amps, which are tighter, is that the Friedman just has a more 'huge' and rip your face off sound. ...Curious about this Juno, though!

Wow, to me the Juno is way more what I want to hear in an amp. Tighter and more focused. Bottom end is thick with no flub. Not because I’m a KSR fan but because it just sounds better to me.

Thanks for doing this in the room comparison bro. :rock:

Junk Yard Dog":28xomwah said:
Well, shit. Every demo you do is the tits. I agree that the Juno sounds a little tighter and cuts. We talked this weekend about the BE50 and I opened it up at band jam yesterday and do not regret my decision to purchase the amp. It's glorious. I still wish it was a little bit tighter like what I"m hearing on the Juno, but the trade off compared to my other modded Marshall amps, which are tighter, is that the Friedman just has a more 'huge' and rip your face off sound. ...Curious about this Juno, though!
Damn! Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words. Juno is no joke. BE is a “tonthe grave” amp for me but even with the Gemini coming in I’m already figuring out how to grab one of these to keep. This is the prototype and for demo purposes but I can tell it’ll be hard to let go!

Emg77":28xomwah said:
Uh oh!?! I’m really digging how the Juno sounds!
Me too! Was nice to finally get to put some volume to it! Even at NAMM we couldn’t get it too loud but I knew there it’d be up my alley.

Gsxrbusa":28xomwah said:
Wow, to me the Juno is way more what I want to hear in an amp. Tighter and more focused. Bottom end is thick with no flub. Not because I’m a KSR fan but because it just sounds better to me.

Thanks for doing this in the room comparison bro. :rock:
Yeah dude glad to do it. I am going to see about incorporating some in-room to the channel if people continue to want to see/hear them.

I played the clips back to back while the same riff was played on each, and this is my assessment off the clips...

BE: Slightly more angry, chainsaw, rip your face

Juno: Like the BE, tighter, more saturation, gain, only a hint less aggressive, but mean sounding in it's own right

I would be happy with both, but there's trade offs. I'd love the BE to have the Juno's tightness and Feel switch and though I haven't played one, but just from the clips, I'd love the Juno to have the BE's openness as well.

I am thinking you could perhaps dial Juno to have the BE's aggressive, but probably not exact.

Back