Ultimate Friedman style build

technomancer":2238i9ia said:
Awesome, thanks. I was a bit surprised as it seems like NOBODY has the 500v 100uf axials in any brand online.

Yeah axials are getting scarce these days.

Next best would be JJ caps, you can get them from https://www.tubesandmore.com/

Also you can go as low as 350v on the main filters, it would be fine since it runs them in series effectively doubling the voltage handling.

LP Freak":36geclf0 said:
What happen to the progress?

Been slammed with other stuff recently, and just ran out of solder :D Will be back on this soon.

Here is the latest progress. Impedance selector, output jacks, and NFS tap select toggle.

njBlZI.jpg

abgxD0.jpg

And DC heaters wired for v1/2/3

IHp5Dc.jpg

Loop Time!

I was going to use this loop, however there is a fitment issue. Its a bit too wide and contacts the impedance switch before I can get it in the holes. I could trim it an make it fit, but Ill save this for different build.
KUZ51c.jpg

So good old metro loop it is!
3a5bCL.jpg

To c45, or not to c45? That is the question.

XYhQBY.jpg

If I don't do the c45 voicing I can do a 68k/68k, switchable to 68k/100k voltage divider in its place. For people that don't know what I'm talking about, 68k/68k is th stock voltage divider for BE100, and 68k/100k is what's in JJ100, slax, and BE50dlx.

What do you guy's think?

If that metro loop is too close to the preamp tube sockets you could always turn it upside down without issue. Infact it might be better to do it and keep it a little further away.

I’m not sure how exact you are trying to get, but I like 47pf snubbers as opposed to the 500’s you’d usually see. I think 500 shaved off way too much high end and makes the top end fizzy and unpleasant IMO. Just my .02.

Build looks great.

Since I never used the C45 on the BE100 I had, and own a JJ I'd say do the switchable voltage divider instead.

psychodave":1h6pr1wt said:
If that metro loop is too close to the preamp tube sockets you could always turn it upside down without issue. Infact it might be better to do it and keep it a little further away.

I’m not sure how exact you are trying to get, but I like 47pf snubbers as opposed to the 500’s you’d usually see. I think 500 shaved off way too much high end and makes the top end fizzy and unpleasant IMO. Just my .02.

Build looks great.

Fortunately theres only the PI tube socket under the loop, and it's just partially under it on the right side, if I have to, I'll put a little copper shield there. I doubt there will be any issue. I've used them before like this, was fine.

As for the 500pf snubbers, I have another BE build I did, which is basically "the kitchen sink" modded plexi. It's kind of my tinker test bed, I might play around, or remove those.

Thanks Man!

technomancer":3qiq7d05 said:
Since I never used the C45 on the BE100 I had, and own a JJ I'd say do the switchable voltage divider instead.

Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the voltage divider. Especially because that goes with the theme of the build.

I have c45 on my other build, and really don't use it much.

After months of working on my kids cars, my cars, dealing with contractors at my house, and vaction, I'm Finally getting some time to work on amps again. :thumbsup:

Here is the Fat switch, the Voltage divider selection (in place of the c45), and Sat switch

7HCheN.jpg

Is that a Synergy and a Mallory 150? Doesn't that violate the magic mojo of the new Synergy caps or something :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, looking good :thumbsup:

technomancer":31or6q13 said:
Is that a Synergy and a Mallory 150? Doesn't that violate the magic mojo of the new Synergy caps or something :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, looking good :thumbsup:

Haha! Funny thing, I always overlook that cap when I'm ordering the Synergy's. I did the exact same thing the first time I ordered them for my 68 plexi replica, friedman kitchen sink mod. It's just the fat cap, sounds fine.

Thanks.

You have such patience. At the end I tend to rush it just to get it done and neatness takes a back seat. Looking great!

So no treble peaker? I see the dual 68k and the 100k to ground. Is there another component to the divider with 100k to ground or is it just 100k vs 68k?

SpiderWars":3ohjfvoi said:
You have such patience. At the end I tend to rush it just to get it done and neatness takes a back seat. Looking great!

I't took me many years to learn patience :) That and I enjoy the process, so I don't mind savoring it a bit. Not that I haven't rushed through builds before, I have and they turn out just fine too.

SpiderWars":3ohjfvoi said:
So no treble peaker? I see the dual 68k and the 100k to ground. Is there another component to the divider with 100k to ground or is it just 100k vs 68k?

There are three ways Dave does this section:

68k/68k normal divider
switchable to
560k(680pf peaker)/220k Known as c45
This applies to BE100

68k/100k divider non-switchable
This applies to JJ, SS, Butterslax

68k/100k(500pf treble bleed to ground)
This applies to BE50 deluxe

My switch is setup to do:
68k/68k
and
68k/100k

Interesting. I just bought a Cornford MK50 and it has 100k/47k and then the OD control is a variable 0-250k resistance between the 47k and ground. It seems when the sum of those resistances gets too big the tone gets too farty in the lows and out of control. I assume because of the loading on the previous stage?

My homebrew Jose is 68k/82k.

SpiderWars":nc9y3sad said:
Interesting. I just bought a Cornford MK50 and it has 100k/47k and then the OD control is a variable 0-250k resistance between the 47k and ground. It seems when the sum of those resistances gets too big the tone gets too farty in the lows and out of control. I assume because of the loading on the previous stage?

My homebrew Jose is 68k/82k.

It can/will overload the next stage, and cause blocking distortion (farting out) if the resistance to ground from the voltage divider is too large. Basically the signal is too hot when it hits the next stage.

Yeah, I was thinking 'in addition to' or 'outside of' just overloading the next stage. My thinking was that by putting a heavy load on the previous stage (i.e. lower resistances like 68k/68k) that it would not be as dynamic or full range and would not have as much 'muscle' to overload the next stage.

Back