Airis savage drive vs boost anyone?

ultimatemetalguitartones

Has anyone tried both of these pedals? I want to get one for my mesa boogie mark III but I cant seem to decide which one to get. I m mainly into 80s - 90s metal

sotosprince":3ithuxd2 said:
Has anyone tried both of these pedals? I want to get one for my mesa boogie mark III but I cant seem to decide which one to get. I m mainly into 80s - 90s metal

I’m not sure which boost you’re referring to, but I loved the savage drive for brutal stuff, but it doesn’t take a battery which was a no go at the time, and I really prefer just a plain old sd-1 with most mesas.
The different clipping roughs up the Mesa smoothness in a good way, but still has that fluid feel.

I have the boost. I havent heard the drive in person but I think for a Mark III the boost should sound great. Easily enough boost to push it into newer metal but also can be backed off for more of that 80s vibe. With it set almost all the way down it really gave a nice crunch to the 2nd channel on my Mark IV. It is a little bright but you should be ok with the graphic. I was looking to go with the drive but the boost came up at a price I couldnt pass up. Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!

phil b":2rui7qt2 said:
I have the boost. I havent heard the drive in person but I think for a Mark III the boost should sound great. Easily enough boost to push it into newer metal but also can be backed off for more of that 80s vibe. With it set almost all the way down it really gave a nice crunch to the 2nd channel on my Mark IV. It is a little bright but you should be ok with the graphic. I was looking to go with the drive but the boost came up at a price I couldnt pass up. Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!
Thx a lot dude! The mark IV tends to be a little bit more dark than the mark III blue stripe if Im not mistaken right?

I’ve got the Savage Drive and had the Proto Drive... not tried the Savage Boost yet. I liked the Savage Drive better than the Proto. Either the Savage Drive or Boost should work fine.

For my Mark IIIs the Keeley Red Dirt works really good too.

Wizard of Ozz":j29r65ia said:
I’ve got the Savage Drive and had the Proto Drive... not tried the Savage Boost yet. I liked the Savage Drive better than the Proto. Either the Savage Drive or Boost should work fine.

For my Mark IIIs the Keeley Red Dirt works really good too.
Thx for that! I am looking for sth to tighten the rhythm tracks when recording, not too gainy.

sotosprince":2qzm0nf1 said:
phil b":2qzm0nf1 said:
Thx a lot dude! The mark IV tends to be a little bit more dark than the mark III blue stripe if Im not mistaken right?

Well my Mark is not stock and is a tad brighter than a stock one. Again, compared to a Joyo OCD clone the boost is just overall bright. Not ridiculous but noticeable by comparison. The thing I dig about it is its pretty usable from all the way down to around 11:00 for a tight crunch. From like 12:00 on is where the higher gain stuff starts happening. I wanted the drive for the tone control option just in case it was bright, which most of these higher gain type pedals seem to be to my ears. I'm glad it worked out cause I wasnt looking for a super high gain100db boost! :LOL: :LOL: , but this does a good job at both that and crunch. :thumbsup:

I had the Savage Drive, and it really is the closest pedal that actually 'modifies' the amp in that you can make it tight or looser depending on how you dial it, on top of the added gain/grive. And, it's very quiet as well. Very unique and useful.

Racerxrated":3n1g2ctl said:
I had the Savage Drive, and it really is the closest pedal that actually 'modifies' the amp in that you can make it tight or looser depending on how you dial it, on top of the added gain/grive. And, it's very quiet as well. Very unique and useful.
Thx a lot! I see u got a mark2c++! U got any clips or videos??

sotosprince":bhwdnkes said:
Racerxrated":bhwdnkes said:
Nope. No proper way to do it, just my iphone and we all know how they turn out....questionable at best lol.

Racerxrated":3lghwvqq said:
sotosprince":3lghwvqq said:
Racerxrated":3lghwvqq said:
Nope. No proper way to do it, just my iphone and we all know how they turn out....questionable at best lol.
This one was recorded using an iphone and I dig it a lot lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oV-n0f-yMY

Also this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEIFx5qrRM&t=121s

sotosprince":n3f8wrvy said:
Racerxrated":n3f8wrvy said:
sotosprince":n3f8wrvy said:
Racerxrated":n3f8wrvy said:
This one was recorded using an iphone and I dig it a lot lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oV-n0f-yMY

Also this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEIFx5qrRM&t=121s
The first one sounds like ass, sorry. It makes the C+ sound like a Mk III. The second one is a bit better, and It's Jack(New World Man here on RT) making it. He's one of the 3-4 guys here that KNOW Mesa stuff like noone else. Lol. But, that one still doesn't capture what the amp really sounds like. That's why iphone clips for the most part don't do an amp justice.

sotosprince":2dwijhyv said:
Aand here's your winner...and surprise! It's Reza, who used to be a member here and is a sound engineer by trade, so all of his clips are professional quality.
Those first two, and no offense to them are the reason why people who hear them would say "wow my Mark III sounds just like that!" Yes it does...and in the room the C+ shits all over any other Mark series. Iphone clips make all amps sound very similar, when comparing them.
SLO clips..same thing. There's a guy who compares a block letter 5150 to an SLO and yup they sound the same! But, they are worlds apart when you play them for yourself. Not even close.

sotosprince":1n6a7fb9 said:
Reza is my favourite youtuber... I really like all of his clips. But what really happened..? Was he banned or something..?
He left on his own. Over a Political debate, which is why politics are banned here.

It got personal, nasty and really fucking stupid. That's all I'll say. Politics don't belong on a damn guitar forum that's for sure.

Racerxrated":1qps1bk6 said:
sotosprince":1qps1bk6 said:
Reza is my favourite youtuber... I really like all of his clips. But what really happened..? Was he banned or something..?
He left on his own. Over a Political debate, which is why politics are banned here.

It got personal, nasty and really fucking stupid. That's all I'll say. Politics don't belong on a damn guitar forum that's for sure.
Omg... That's really sad.. Thx for the answer... It really sux cause IMO his tones are incredible

Rez threatened to sue Rig Talk and was black listed on most of the internet for it.

Rumour going around was he had a difficult time with election results. He was the reason the rules were changed on Rig Talk.

I have no personal issue with him but many people have way beyond this issue.

I can only think of one other individual that more people took issue with on all the guitar forums....and that was a decade ago.

Back