FJA mods done?

mchn13

Damn; guess I missed it? Just went to his site to look for possible mods, and he’s not taking work and his biz is possibly for sale? Definitely stated for personal reason, so I hope he’s ok.
So... who is taking work for us metaheads right now? I’m thinking about having my Randall modded and tightened up just for fun, or just selling it and getting another Evh 50. The Evh blue channel is just the jam for me and has beaten some stiff competition lately.
I think I answered my own question but still debating.

napalmdeath swears that the Randall RD45 with a boost will wipe the floor with the EVH. I've followed much tube advice from him and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. My buddy has the RD45 and I hope to try it soon. That being said, I've changed a few tubes in my EVH 50 watt per nd's advice and that amp fucking kills.

Bummer on FJA
Fortin is inaccessible for non-stars for mods
Rhodes used to do mods, but I think that is over too

Kruse is a great option, but I have 2 of his amps and would like a different flavor for fun.
Who else does a decent metal mod?

Jerry has moved his business before and closed things down for awhile in the past but who knows.

I have played a Fortin Randall RD45 it had plenty of gain and sort of had Fortin tone( did not sound like his big amps), didn't sound bad but it really sounded small and boxy while standing in front of it through a 4x12, I was not impressed, the clips sounded good... the amps build quality felt a little cheap. The owner of the RD45 quickly sold it after playing it next to his modded Marshalls in real life side by side comparisons. At low volume playing you might love the RD45.

I think the EVH is a much better amp but again everyones experience is different.

Beyond Black":1xgzlc2t said:
napalmdeath swears that the Randall RD45 with a boost will wipe the floor with the EVH. I've followed much tube advice from him and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. My buddy has the RD45 and I hope to try it soon. That being said, I've changed a few tubes in my EVH 50 watt per nd's advice and that amp fucking kills.

I know napalm is a fan, and I do like the head a lot; but for me the blue channel of the Evh boosted and unboosted is my favorite. I’ve been running them both stereo for a couple months and the complement each other well, but the Randall imo; is darker chewier mids, and I prefer the leaner stringier mids of the Evh. I know, horrible adjectives and all.... but that’s the way I see it. The Evh also has a lot of switching options, and switchable loop.
Now; he gave me some tube rolling options that I haven’t gotten to Yet so gonna start on them as soon as I grab some decent preamp tubes. Also going to try to use some quality lower gain tubes in the pre of the Evh and see what that does to the noise of the red channel, and see if I can get it closer to blue.
If that works it’s almost a no contest for me.

crankyrayhanky":6ecx834i said:
Bummer on FJA
Fortin is inaccessible for non-stars for mods
Rhodes used to do mods, but I think that is over too

Kruse is a great option, but I have 2 of his amps and would like a different flavor for fun.
Who else does a decent metal mod?

Good to know. Thanks.

harddriver":2kn09v7i said:
Jerry has moved his business before and closed things down for awhile in the past but who knows.

I have played a Fortin Randall RD45 it had plenty of gain and sort of had Fortin tone( did not sound like his big amps), didn't sound bad but it really sounded small and boxy while standing in front of it through a 4x12, I was not impressed, the clips sounded good... the amps build quality felt a little cheap. The owner of the RD45 quickly sold it after playing it next to his modded Marshalls in real life side by side comparisons. At low volume playing you might love the RD45.

I think the EVH is a much better amp but again everyones experience is different.

It’s definitely a cheaper amp, but I ran it hard Friday night through 2 4x12’s, and it sounded as huge as anything in the room. Just a little blurry in the mids, and could use some sharpening up to get it tighter.
Still.... I’m with ya on the Evh.

He did, not long ago. Long story short, girlfriend decided to move without him throwing his life into turmoil.

mchn13":19nm33vl said:
Beyond Black":19nm33vl said:

I know napalm is a fan, and I do like the head a lot; but for me the blue channel of the Evh boosted and unboosted is my favorite. I’ve been running them both stereo for a couple months and the complement each other well, but the Randall imo; is darker chewier mids, and I prefer the leaner stringier mids of the Evh. I know, horrible adjectives and all.... but that’s the way I see it. The Evh also has a lot of switching options, and switchable loop.
Now; he gave me some tube rolling options that I haven’t gotten to Yet so gonna start on them as soon as I grab some decent preamp tubes. Also going to try to use some quality lower gain tubes in the pre of the Evh and see what that does to the noise of the red channel, and see if I can get it closer to blue.

Ditch the Ruby 6L6's for JJ's, and bias to about 34-36mA.
That'll fatten it up, and take away some of the high end. It'll sound bigger, trust me. The JJ's are heartier/beefier.

The preamp section is all chinese too. I ran a Tungsol in V1, JJ's in V2 & V3, and a Sovtek LPS in V4. With JJ 6L6's too = new amp. I think I even have a spare set of JJ 6L6's, I'll check when I get over to my stash this weekend.

I love the EVH blue channel as well, but the red is too out of control for my tastes, (and I love my Triple XXX). And lower gain tubes in the EVH sounds like shit. Sucks the life out of it. The only thing that helped, was a good NOS 5751 in V2 or V3.

napalmdeath":3jr52sc4 said:
mchn13":3jr52sc4 said:
Beyond Black":3jr52sc4 said:

Ditch the Ruby 6L6's for JJ's, and bias to about 34-36mA.
That'll fatten it up, and take away some of the high end. It'll sound bigger, trust me. The JJ's are heartier/beefier.

The preamp section is all chinese too. I ran a Tungsol in V1, JJ's in V2 & V3, and a Sovtek LPS in V4. With JJ 6L6's too = new amp. I think I even have a spare set of JJ 6L6's, I'll check when I get over to my stash this weekend.

I love the EVH blue channel as well, but the red is too out of control for my tastes, (and I love my Triple XXX). And lower gain tubes in the EVH sounds like shit. Sucks the life out of it. The only thing that helped, was a good NOS 5751 in V2 or V3.

Word. Thanks again. I’ll try to pickup some new tubes this week. Yeah if you have any of those ya wanna let go I’ll buy em from ya.
Totally agree on the red channel. It’s cool but the blue boosted or not is the jam.

If you can read this, Good luck Jerry, you were a superstar in the amp modding world. I hope everything works out for you and we hear from you in the future.

Jerry did some killer mods to my buddy's Framus Cobra. Hope you don't give it up, Jerry, especially because of a woman.

I've had some FJA modded Marshalls and they are as good as any out there. Jerry is a very talented Modder.
Best wishes Jerry, there is life after this.....

I have both an FJA JSX and the modded VTM60 he had been selling here recently and they are monster amps...hope he comes back because his work is stellar :aww:

Bummer. I just saw that last week on his site. He cloned the Elan Memran Metalhead Mod recently and I was hoping to have him do the same for me.

Intimidator333":227wf6xx said:
Bummer. I just saw that last week on his site. He cloned the Elan Memran Metalhead Mod recently and I was hoping to have him do the same for me.
I'd bet once he's back on his feet he'll be available for mods again.

Back