Fane Ascension F90 and speaker & diezel questions

RedB4Black

Looking to gather some info....

Has anyone checked out the Fane F90 speakers and compared to the F70s or celestions (v30s/CBH75)

After spending time with my new FL Diezel K100 cab this weekend, I've concluded that the K-100s have to go. lol My fryette FB cab with Fane F70s sounds way better. I'm inclined to just get a quad of those and be done with it since I know those sound good but the Fane website says the F90s are a better choice for hard rock/metal - so those have me interested.

Best I can tell is that the F90 magnet is slightly heavier and it has a glass-fiber former material (vs. paper). I'm not sure what this will do to the tone - anyone have any answers to that?

My other route is to go all CB H75s or v30s/K100s mix. I know the v30/K100 mix sounds good with the Herbert (had the combo in a Mills cab) but I've since grown to love the creambacks.

What speakers are you using with your Diezel FL cabs????

I haven't played them, but I spoke to a Fane distributor about the F90 a while back. He actually recommended NOT putting the F90 in a front loaded cab. He said the F90 was pretty bright and that unless you liked pretty bright tones or had a dark amp, the tone could get a bit over bearing in the top end.

fearhk213":2a031k6y said:
I haven't played them, but I spoke to a Fane distributor about the F90 a while back. He actually recommended NOT putting the F90 in a front loaded cab. He said the F90 was pretty bright and that unless you liked pretty bright tones or had a dark amp, the tone could get a bit over bearing in the top end.

I actually like a brighter tone and I'd be using it with a Diezel and Bogner, which are darker amps. But maybe too much for the FL cab. The Fane description of the F70 says its good in FL cabs. It doesn't mention FL cabs on the F90.

^Excellent demo.

I like the smoothness the Fanes had and the cleaner sound. Makes me think they would be a great match with amps that have a lot of highs. Delivering a sharp, but smooth tone hopefully.

MourningEngine":1djt9fdh said:
I happen to have two identical frontloaded 4x12s, one loaded with G12K-100 and the other loaded with Fane F90s. To my ears the F90 is a bit more musical with smoother high-mids. But they are definitely in the same ballpark.

Probably check out this comparison video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRKU4MK5cI4

Awesome! thanks for posting that video. I hear exactly what you are talking about. I definitely prefer the F90s over the K100s, but the difference isn't as drastic as what I would have expected - like with the H75s. The F90s weren't drastically brighter than the K100s as I would have thought based on the comment above. I also loved that it was with the Gemini, because, coincidentally, the other amp I planned to use with this cab is a Gemini. I've read good things about the Gemini and all H75s, so they are in the running too. I can piece together of a quad of H75s to try in my Diezel cab if I open up a few other cabs - it's a pain in the ass, but I may just give that a try first.

EvilBatman":3155mf6h said:
^Excellent demo.

I like the smoothness the Fanes had and the cleaner sound. Makes me think they would be a great match with amps that have a lot of highs. Delivering a sharp, but smooth tone hopefully.

I'd say that's the case with the F70s. My Wizards sound awesome through my Fryette FB cab with F70s. Of course, everything else does too.

mhenson42":1t350lzr said:
EvilBatman":1t350lzr said:
^Excellent demo.

I'd say that's the case with the F70s. My Wizards sound awesome through my Fryette FB cab with F70s. Of course, everything else does too.

Good to hear. The Fryette Fatbottom is at the top of my list for 4x12s. I like the P50E speakers and the F70/F70G snippets I've heard have been to my liking as well.

Sadly, IRs are not working out as I'd hoped, but I've gotten a bit more adept at using them and dialing them in. I think though that I'm going to be purchasing one of those unloaded Jet City vertical 2x12s in the near future and then trying different speakers before jumping up to 4x12 purchases and blowing more cash than I should.

fearhk213":2c55c1nv said:

I think this is the guy you are referring to. I found this quote on TGP.

Everything is different, except for the frame. The F90 has a glass fibre VC former, stiffer spider, different edge treatment, etc. The F70 has a more vintage tone, like the original cast-frame Fane drivers from the early '70's. The F90 is more "modern" sounding with more low-end and more pronounced high end. The F70 sounds great in any cabinet, whereas the F90 is best in an Iso box application, combo or in a vintage rear-mounted 412. It doesn't like super air-tight front mount cabinets.

mhenson42":3s351gxj said:
fearhk213":3s351gxj said:

Everything is different, except for the frame. The F90 has a glass fibre VC former, stiffer spider, different edge treatment, etc. The F70 has a more vintage tone, like the original cast-frame Fane drivers from the early '70's. The F90 is more "modern" sounding with more low-end and more pronounced high end. The F70 sounds great in any cabinet, whereas the F90 is best in an Iso box application, combo or in a vintage rear-mounted 412. It doesn't like super air-tight front mount cabinets.
It was a while back so I don't recall his name, but that could very well be him. Makes me want to slap some F90's in my Kerry Wright cab to see if it turns that vintage style cab into a metal beast lol.

fearhk213":3b4rf24y said:
mhenson42":3b4rf24y said:
fearhk213":3b4rf24y said:

It was a while back so I don't recall his name, but that could very well be him. Makes me want to slap some F90's in my Kerry Wright cab to see if it turns that vintage style cab into a metal beast lol.

From his posts he appeared to be the distributor or somehow involved with Fane.

mhenson42":qddsxxxb said:
EvilBatman":qddsxxxb said:
^Excellent demo.

How would you say the F70’s compared to H75’s using the wizard?
I got a beater Marshall and am looking for some speakers to use with my MTL

fearhk213":50m61x0f said:
mhenson42":50m61x0f said:
fearhk213":50m61x0f said:

What do you have now in your Kerry wright? I have a Kerry wright 4x12 that came with 65’s, but they weren’t to my taste, so it’s at my tech now getting swapped with a cross of v30’s and h75’s, so I’m curious that’ll be

Devilinside":3pl1q8cn said:
mhenson42":3pl1q8cn said:
EvilBatman":3pl1q8cn said:
^Excellent demo.

How would you say the F70’s compared to H75’s using the wizard?
I got a beater Marshall and am looking for some speakers to use with my MTL

Yesterday I swapped the 4 K100s in the Diezel cab for 4 Creamback H75s - so this morning I set the 2 FL cabs side-by-side with the Wizard MTL. The second picture is how I had the MTL set. I tend to like a brighter, tight/percussive tone. Guitars were Mayones Duvells - one with Het set and the the other with SD Nazgul.

Overall, I think I preferred the Fryette/Fane F70 cab more with the MTL. The speakers weren't necessarily brighter than the H75s, but they were more present/airy on the highs and the lows were crisp and tight. The H75s lows, while still fairly tight, felt a little more rounded in comparison. The H75s also lacked the clarity of the Fanes. The fanes have more of a raw, open aggression to them. I'm not sure how much difference the cab build had though. The Diezel cab looks slightly bigger and has a straight baffle. The Fryette cab has a slanted baffle. I haven't looked inside the Fryette cab to know how different they are on the inside. The Diezel cab has the individual speakers partially walled off from each other, so it's not completely open on the inside.

I had both my wizard cabs loaded with Alnico Cream/H75s. In making the changes, I loaded 4 Alnico Cream into one of the cabs. The other is currently empty. I'm gonna order a set of F70s for that cab.

PJGHPS8h.jpg

AlrGbmHh.jpg

This is of particular interest to me at the moment.

I have a Gemini that I’m running through M75 Scumbacks, they sound great but I feel there might better speakers to be paired with it.
Currently leaning toward H75 Creambacks in one of Kyle’s cabs.
However the Fanes have put the cat amount the pigeons.
Your description of them having a raw open aggression with a clear top end is exactly what I’m after.

I find Scumbacks the perfect match for Marshallesque amps, but I think the Gemini would be better suited to something along the lines of the Fanes.

Yes, cab construction plays a part in the equation but still, food for thought.
If you could share your thoughts running the Gemini through the H75 Creambacks & the Fanes that would be a huge help :rock:

I vote you try the new Fanes in the Diezel cab before they make their way to the Wizard cab. It would be a great comparison between the two front loaded cabs and to see how construction and materials affect the tone.

philnz":2d8bl547 said:
This is of particular interest to me at the moment.

I have a Gemini that I’m running through M75 Scumbacks, they sound great but I feel there might better speakers to be paired with it.
Currently leaning toward H75 Creambacks in one of Kyle’s cabs.
However the Fanes have put the cat amount the pigeons.
Your description of them having a raw open aggression with a clear top end is exactly what I’m after.

I find Scumbacks the perfect match for Marshallesque amps, but I think the Gemini would be better suited to something along the lines of the Fanes.

Yes, cab construction plays a part in the equation but still, food for thought.
If you could share your thoughts running the Gemini through the H75 Creambacks & the Fanes that would be a huge help :rock:

Similar results though I think the KSR does a lot better with 4 H75s compared to the wizard. The settings below are what I normally run with the KSR. They were perfect with the H75s. With the Fanes I had to back off the top a bit otherwise it was a little too crisp sounding. The Fanes just have an aggressive snarl that the H75s lack. The H75s are just a little smother. Both speakers are great with the KSR though.

EvilBatman":1wxqdp9s said:
I vote you try the new Fanes in the Diezel cab before they make their way to the Wizard cab. It would be a great comparison between the two front loaded cabs and to see how construction and materials affect the tone.

I may just do that. I am going to be out of town next weekend so I’ll probably order the Fanes so that they arrive next week and I will do it the following weekend.

Back