Soldano SLO Owners Chime In

Metlupass2

So what do I need to do to get a bit more bottom end on the SLO? Does the depth mod increase it noticeably? Would getting an EQ pedal accomplish the same thing? I tried running through my Bogner Uberkab, but it sounded better through my Diezel 4x12 w/ V30s. Its got newer Sovtek 5881's for power section. I understand its not an Ubershall and I'm not looking for that, but it definitely could use some more bottom end that what its totally lacking now.

I play at home with an attenuator so nothing crazy loud. I understand once you get the master up around 6 it gets bigger, but that's not an option.

What are some good speaker cab recommendations? The Diezel has V30's and the Bogner has V30 and G12T75.

Thanks

I got a Jet City jca50 recently (basically a cheaper Chinese made Hot Rod 50+, which itself is quite similar to the SLO circuit), I added a depth control and it does help a lot if you want to add some low end thump. Nothing to it really, three parts, a bit of wire and a hole in the chassis. Set it to 0 and it’s like it isn’t there.

An EQ pedal in the loop may also do what you want, certainly the less invasive option. but the fx loop is line level so make sure whatever you get can handle that. My 7 band eq couldn’t. My axe fx is quite happy with line level though so I’ve been using that in the loop for eq or effects.

Have you tried cranking the Presence (or close to it) and dialing back the Treble? That seems to give the mids/high mids a different character that might allow the low end to sound more full. I have Depth on my clone but I usually run Presence really high and Treble pretty low.

I've had 3, and 2 with the factory depth mod. The way it works, it's only noticeable at lower volumes and doesn't affect it much when you push the master past a certain point, like 3 or 4. The last one I had was stock, and I always boost them..my current fav boost is a Boss OD1X and it can add tight low end instead of sucking it out like most boosts. I thought that pedal did a better job adding low end than the factory depth. 65s and V30s give me plenty low end with my SLOs.

SpiderWars":9ccbrggy said:
Have you tried cranking the Presence (or close to it) and dialing back the Treble? That seems to give the mids/high mids a different character that might allow the low end to sound more full. I have Depth on my clone but I usually run Presence really high and Treble pretty low.

Yeah. To me the presence on any amp doesn't make a difference until it's almost all the way. I just got it Saturday so I'm still figuring things out. Mine has the WH mod too. I'm not sure if it was factory or not.

I don't like the depth mod. It just added mud... not useable low end. And at loud volumes, it was totally unnecessary.

Also turn up the mids. The SLO loves the mids up. Around 1:00. Presence up will help at low volumes too.

... and despite what anyone may say, it will never be a Diezel Herbert, Bogner Uber, or Mesa Recto. Wasn't designed to be. It does what it was designed to do... 30 years ago. So bear that in mind too.

Metlupass2":33b2c6e6 said:
SpiderWars":33b2c6e6 said:

Yeah. To me the presence on any amp doesn't make a difference until it's almost all the way. I just got it Saturday so I'm still figuring things out. Mine has the WH mod too. I'm not sure if it was factory or not.
I like the WH mod at lower gain settings (10:00-11:00) but like stock at higher settings.

The SLO just isn’t designed to have a big low end like most modern high gain amps. Don’t think EQ is going to get you there. Aside from the depth mod, I think a speaker swap might be the best option. Of all the speakers I’ve tried with the SLO, and she’s REALLY picky about speakers, I like the Redback most out of all of them. It’s got a big low end, and could be what you’re looking for. Then again, if you’re just playing it at home/room volume, nothing you do is going to give you the type of low end it seems you’re after.

You should skip the depth mod and get the Wizard mod instead. That’s where you sell the SLO and buy a Wizard Modern Classic II!

mhenson42":3tk4z9ij said:
You should skip the depth mod and get the Wizard mod instead. That’s where you sell the SLO and buy a Wizard Modern Classic II!

Indeed.

I've performed this mod and it works great. Plenty more of everything... :yes: :yes: :yes:

:LOL: :LOL: :D

Seems like an EQ pedal in the loop would be an easy experiment. You can pick up a Fish and Chips cheap and have at it. Plus they are handy to have around in general.

You might also try a pickup swap. I can see how something like an 81 would leave something to be desired in the low end.

I play at home with an attenuator so nothing crazy loud. I understand once you get the master up around 6 it gets bigger, but that's not an option.
Biggest issue right there.
For this application, a depth mod is probably your best bet.
You'll be able to dial in a very full sound at house friendly volumes.
You need a 1 meg pot and a .0047uf cap.
But yeah, it ain't an Uberschall.

jasonP":1s5l8zdb said:
Depth mod and get rid of those shit box 5881’s for a nice 6L6 tube and you will be set.
I've tried quads of =C=6L6, TAD6L6GC, Shuguang 6L6 and those crazy wafer-bottom Sovtek 5881's in my SLO, and the 5881's sounded the best to me by far. :dunno:
I thought the depth mod that was in my amp when I got it sounded like ass too, so what do I know.... :LOL: :LOL:
I do think a depth mod will work for the OP though...

For me, stock SLO with 5881's = :rock:

fusedbrain":1un7jhma said:
Biggest issue right there.
For this application, a depth mod is probably your best bet.
You'll be able to dial in a very full sound at house friendly volumes.
You need a 1 meg pot and a .0047uf cap.
But yeah, it ain't an Uberschall.

I live in a house so I can turn it up loud but only what my ears and face can handle.

Back