Metal guys using passive PUs ‘?’

bhuard75

You guys that are using passive pickups with high gain amps, what output are you using. Im currently using a MCP detroiter in a mahogany bodied guitar. Im thinking or my ears are telling me to go even lower for a cleaner high gain tone.

Im currently playing silent through a dmoll into a 2note torpedo live with monitoring headphones. Im running my gain right now at about 8:30-9:00 O’clock.

Thanks for your input.

The lowest I have is a JB, which isn't my favorite. I also have a Crunch and Super D from Dimarzio, which sound better and higher output. I also boost, but use a lower gain setting on the amp. If I'm using my Engl, I don't boost, as it has more than enough already.

I'm using a Duncan Nazgul, boosted, into a high gain amp, so it's pretty gainy all around. It's the boosting that clears it up for me. Pumping the mids and sucking out some of the bass/treble (which you can then add back in at the amp), keeps the low end tight and the highs from being all fizzy. What kind of sounds are you trying to emulate?

Oblivion DC":5zq1n4ll said:
What kind of sounds are you trying to emulate?

Not trying to emulate a particular sound. Running a diezel dmoll with a clean boost and trying to get the gain to clean up a bit so chords ring through a little clearer.

My buddy has a VH4 and that amp LOVES lower output pickups. I'm thinking because it's a really compressed amp and lower output pups have less compression. I borrowed it for awhile and my LP with a Detroiter was the best sounding guitar in the house by far. Hot pickups squashed the VH4 too much IMO. I'm not familiar with your amp though.

I like 13-14k ceramics, and boosted. The Duncan custom is a killer metal pup. I love the detroiter as well, but alnico has a little softer edge, and that pickup, when I had it, felt hotter than 9k. A six band eq in front with a slight frown cutting a little bass, may do it too.

I play thru a Mesa MK4 and use both a Charvel with a JB / 59 set and Les Paul with burstbucker 1/2 set. The burstbuckers are definately more dynamic sounding and more clear because of the lower output 8.2 bridge 7.6 neck. I love lower output pickups.

16-18K output ceramic.

Duncan Distortion
Suhr Aldrich

Both sound great with my Diezels.

Stock Gibson A3 CustomBuckers sounded great too, not enough output to chug hard though.

Wizard of Ozz":12sq4hnc said:
16-18K output ceramic.

Duncan Distortion
Suhr Aldrich

The MCP Detroiter that loaded in my guitar sounds awesome with a physical 412. But its a different story when running it through the 2notes torpedo live. Just trying to tame the gain a bit so chords and notes sound clear when they are ringing. Not a jumbled mess.

bhuard75":1zma30oc said:
Oblivion DC":1zma30oc said:
What kind of sounds are you trying to emulate?

Not trying to emulate a particular sound. Running a diezel dmoll with a clean boost and trying to get the gain to clean up a bit so chords ring through a little clearer.
I wonder if switching boosts would be the better option? Not saying clean boosts can't work for high metal tones since I know some use them with success, but I find they can be hit or miss in that context. They boost everything, and the additional bass and low mid boost into the front end of the amp can sometimes hurt clarity and tightness. Of course this is assuming you're using a clean boost with no built-in eq curve or eq knobs.

I like the Suhr Aldrich, SD Nazgul, BK Pain Killers and Thornbucker + (for a little lower output). I just got a guitar with the EMG Het set in it. Verdict is still out on those - a little more grainy than I normally like.

mhenson42":2dht43kl said:
I like the Suhr Aldrich, SD Nazgul, BK Pain Killers and Thornbucker + (for a little lower output). I just got a guitar with the EMG Het set in it. Verdict is still out on those - a little more grainy than I normally like.

I really like the het set through my Herbert, they have a lot more output so I usually have to tweak my amps when I use my esp with het set.
Bk’s Are hard to beat for passives though. Loving my ceramic nailbomb in my Regius custom.

bhuard75":1zc768gt said:
Wizard of Ozz":1zc768gt said:
16-18K output ceramic.

Duncan Distortion
Suhr Aldrich

The MCP Detroiter that loaded in my guitar sounds awesome with a physical 412. But its a different story when running it through the 2notes torpedo live. Just trying to tame the gain a bit so chords and notes sound clear when they are ringing. Not a jumbled mess.

What cab sims and mic sims are you using in the 2Notes?

Some do sound like that. Not good. You might consider making a sim of your own cab micced with a SM57 and storing it in the 2Notes.

I like the mix of the stock Bogner and Engl cab sims in the 2Notes.

Back