NAD: What's better than a Wizard amp... ???

Wizard of Ozz

2 Wizards of course...

My new 2018 MC2 in Red Bronco Tolex showed up today. Yay!!!! Happiness ensues throughout the land! :yes: :rock:

VsqY2Kb.jpg

Sj3Cs8h.jpg

Wish I could say I'm impressed... but my expectations were set so high by my MTL... I expected the MC2 to kill and it does. Like pressing the gas pedal on a Lambo... you expect it to go fast... and it does. Zero disappointment.

Really killer, killer, killer modified Marshall 2203... plenty bright and tight which is what I look for and prefer in an amp. Not dark, spongy, soft, flubby, or mushy by any stretch in the least. No way. Just a killer tight, focused low end, fast playing, hard linear feeling... with lots of upper mid and high end harmonic goodness amp. Tight, bright, clear high end cut, lots of gain, great note attack... top of the head of the modified Marshall bunch for me. Friedman, Bogner, Soldano, Cameron, Suhr, and the other usual suspects all make nice amps, but the Wizards sound and feel the best to me. All the little pick sounds and harmonics come thru the speakers with ease... and very articulate too. The rhythm channel is a great edge of break-up thru AC/DC, Aerosmith, Journey classic rock encyclopedia of tone. EVH... yeah it's there... but on the lead channel w/o the boost. The clean tone is a Marshall clean, not Fender Blackface Twin or DR... but it is really amazing all on it's own. Sounds great with the on-board boost which is available on either channel. Definitely different sounding and feeling enough from the MTL to warrant owning both. Excellent craftsmanship, superior execution. Massive iron OT/PT all around and close to 60 pounds. No need to dial a Wizard in to "cut" either... or make it stand out in a mix... as many like to lament with so many amps. Wizards are easy to use... plug in... and stand back. Simple. It's one of those amps that you plug in and lose track of the time while playing. I like it.

:thumbsup:

DeathbyButterslax":xdy2i12a said:
That looks stellar. Is that the kt88 model?

Thanks. It’s the stock JJ E34L power tubes which sound great. Not really a fan of KT88s in Marshall-style amps. Need EL34s.

Congrats! Hell of a collection there. Wizards are awesome...Had an MTL but couldn't jive with the mids, for that coin it better be perfect lol. But I imagine the MCII would be the right Wizard for me, more Marshall mids from what I've been told. There is no more uncompressed amp out there, for sure.
:rock:

Nice bro, love your expressiveness through the cool colors.
Enjoy! I thought the wizard I got to play on many times, was nothing short of amazing.

Thanks peeps.

LunatiBSW":2q1av9co said:
Nice bro, love your expressiveness through the cool colors.
Enjoy! I thought the wizard I got to play on many times, was nothing short of amazing.

Thanks. They are simply amazing amps.

I wanted to do something along the lines of the ‘70s Marshall’s that came in all the different odd-ball colors... like purple, red, blue, orange. The all black stealth Darth Vader look has been done to death... and it gets boring with all black amps.

Congrats!! Love the red! Looks killer! I hope to get a Wizard one day but I'll have to let a few that I currently love go to make it happen.

Man oh MAN! I would love to check th Wizard stuff out at some point. Congrats on a hell of a couple amps there. Really looking forward to the comparison.

Back