Which BKP pickup set do I want??

Apex1Rg7X

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my Jackson HT7 and want some recommendations on which set to go with. I know the obvious answer is the Juggernauts but I'm also interested in the Nailbomb and Painkiller in the bridge. For example I play anything from Periphery, Monuments, Meshuggah, Lamb of God, Deftones, Slipknot etc...how do these pickups differ in your experience for these styles of music? Single note riffing to chugging away? Thanks for the tips!

If you haven’t yet, you should email them. Be specific about what gear you’re using and the tones you mentioned in your post. They’re very helpful with suggestions. Also, if you go with the Nailbomb, go with the ceramic version for that type of music.

I have played the bkp painkillers, and nailbombs, and still have a set of the miracle man pickups. the next set i want to try is the ragnarock set

Haven't played the Nailbomb, but the PK kicks major ass. I will say however that the PK is VERY immediate in its response, it lacks compression and does not self distort, so it reproduces exactly what you put into the chain. Its hyper aggressive and crunchy in the mids and the high notes are very open lacking any compression which makes the highs dry if that makes any sense. Another way of putting it may be to say that the high notes lack sweetness. I don't play lead much so it for me its an amazing bridge pup and for heavy chugging and fast single note stuff its perfect. Tons of punch, clarity, and balls.

I recently swapped it for a Duncan Distortion and while the DD is awesome, its more compressed than the PK and not as fast in response. The DD hides a lot more and is cool, but I think I'm gonna eventually put the PK back in that guitar.

I'm picking up an Aftermath to try next.

As an EMG 81 User which would be the best set to get close to the 81 but with more "Bloom" Better Low end, Warmer & not so spiky in the highs?

I'm leaning towards a Nailbomb/Coldsweat set right now but that could change. Another thing to add is, I'm switching from a new DSL20 to a VHT D60 so I'm sure that should be taken into consideration as well. The Painkiller would probably work too, since I'm not much a lead player so the heavy rhythm and chugging stuff would be cool with that. Does anyone have experience with the Juggernauts at all?

I do have an old RG7321 lying around with no pickups in it...maybe I should just get a PK for that one and the Nailbomb for the HT7?? :D

The Aftermath is also intriguing after reading into them a bit more. If it wasn't for the cost, it would be great to try all of them, Lol.

^ I’ve played only one (Holy Diver) and did not like it at all. I think was some cal “clarity,” I call lack of oomph and power.

But, I have a set of Mules on the way for an 8 string because BKP is the only company doing the covers I wanted. Crossing my fingers they sound good.

I'd recommend the Ragnaroks or Juggernaut for what are being described here -

Ragnarok:
- low resonant peak, so has a more active-esque pickup midrange flavour
- extremely tight low end and low mids
- clear top but not scratchy or single-coily

Juggernaut:
- more low/low mid bloom and richness than the Rag
- more organic top end response
- higher resonant peak so gives a more "string-y" bite

Nolly":2tnvx0rh said:

Ragnarok:

Juggernaut:

Based on those descriptions, would it be fair to say the Juggs are better for clean tones all the way up to the tight riffing? I've gotten the feeling the Juggs are more of a "do all' type pickup.

psychodave":14i749m1 said:
Have you ever played a BK pickup? I ask because I have yet to play one I’ve liked.

Same here. I have owned several. Fishman Fluence Moderns and Manlius pickups is where it’s at for me.

Apex1Rg7X":1ql8sxs1 said:
Nolly":1ql8sxs1 said:

Ragnarok:

Juggernaut:

Based on those descriptions, would it be fair to say the Juggs are better for clean tones all the way up to the tight riffing? I've gotten the feeling the Juggs are more of a "do all' type pickup.

The Juggernauts are definitely more versatile in terms of copping a classic voicing - surprisingly so in fact, they are really pretty balanced sounding and far from being limited to being a "djent" pickup. The Ragnarok's fatter attack is awesome for low gain leads though, and they split fantastically.

Nolly":1jmzdsqg said:
Apex1Rg7X":1jmzdsqg said:
Nolly":1jmzdsqg said:

Ragnarok:

Juggernaut:

The Juggernauts are definitely more versatile in terms of copping a classic voicing - surprisingly so in fact, they are really pretty balanced sounding and far from being limited to being a "djent" pickup. The Ragnarok's fatter attack is awesome for low gain leads though, and they split fantastically.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Juggernauts. Looking forward to getting them for sure. Thanks for the insight and descriptive responses.

Back