Gigging without an amp?

artie253

Anyone have experience with this? Headrush, Helix, Ax8 ?? direct to board with a powered wedge for stage??? Not quite ready to ditch the head/cabinet but it would be nice to have the space and less to lug around.

for some gigs especially fly outs..I use a Boss Gt-6 into a HK cab simulator direct into the board and use In-ear monitors, quick set up and tear down time!

I blew a tube right before church started and had no time to change it. I ran into my be-od into an eh magnum 44 into my 4x12. That magnum 44 is the best sounding solid state amp I have played through. It is also the lightest. :)

All the time. AX8 direct to FOH from Output 1 and Output 2 goes to 2 powered speakers behind me setup like backline. Don't miss lugging around 2 halfstacks at all.

Doing this exclusively for nearly as long as the AX8 has been around.

AX8 => CLR Neo Mk2 and FOH.

AX8 in big SKB board/case with Wah and Relay wireless. All rolled along with two guitars on my “Rock-n-Roller” cart. Super easy. I do miss a big amp but am not sure how much, especially for what I play in this particular band.

I’ve been using a Synergy 1 going direct to a PA since it came out in the fall. Took me a little while to figure out the cab emulation is only active with the XLR output and not available at all with the 1/4 output.

We normally position our PA behind us in smaller venues so it acts as my monitor (three piece with acoustic/Keys, drums and myself on guitar.)

It sounds great and have it attached to my pedalboard so no extra stuff required. We are pretty good about balancing our volumes as we run the PA ourslelves.

Nope. I don’t trust sound men, or that the monitors at gigs will be any good.
If I had a hired sound guy and knew the monitors, wether wedges or In ears, were quality I wouldn’t be opposed to it once in a while depending on the situation.

I’m also an old school live player and I rely on speaker movement and it’s relationship with wood and pickups. I doubt I’ll ever use a direct solution. I do not like that controlled sound that people use today. I need it on at edge or it’s boring.

I used a Peavey at church for a number of years. I left it there instead of bringing it back and forth each week.

I ended up having some issues with it and started using pedals into a preamp pedal into the board.

It was very surprising how well it sounded. My two favorite preamps were my Effectrode Blackbird and my Zoom G5. Eventually I used the Blackbird to drive the Zoom. Very nice results. Played that way for several years. Setup and breakdown time was cut down a good bit.

I use an AX8 live all the time, love it. I use an ASM 12 on stage for a little stage volume, then still run it through the monitors. As for not trusting a soundguy, it doesn't matter if it's a modeler or a mic, you're still at their mercy.

Rayneman":30youtnl said:
Doing this exclusively for nearly as long as the AX8 has been around.

AX8 => CLR Neo Mk2 and FOH.

AX8 in big SKB board/case with Wah and Relay wireless. All rolled along with two guitars on my “Rock-n-Roller” cart. Super easy. I do miss a big amp but am not sure how much, especially for what I play in this particular band.

very similar rig. Only thing I miss about big amps on stage is feedback. Feedback is different. I miss that at times, but not enough to make me want to go back.

On smaller gigs where we're just running stage volume, I have been using my DRRI, but just because it saves some space.

ewill52":1z8rw2xo said:
I use an AX8 live all the time, love it. I use an ASM 12 on stage for a little stage volume, then still run it through the monitors. As for not trusting a soundguy, it doesn't matter if it's a modeler or a mic, you're still at their mercy.

Yes and no.
I always ask a trusted friend how the mix is after one song. We have a buddy that goes to everything. He’ll talk to the sound guy. If the guy doesn’t fix the problem, I turn up and fix it myself. I always gig with high powered amps.
You learn things over the years. ;)

guitarmike":3j8a16qk said:
I blew a tube right before church started and had no time to change it. I ran into my be-od into an eh magnum 44 into my 4x12. That magnum 44 is the best sounding solid state amp I have played through. It is also the lightest. :)
Totally agree!! For practice I used to run my pedalboard (with BE-OD) into my 44 magnum and into a Marshall 4x12 and had no problem in the mix! The 44 magnum came to every gig for the exact reason you cite....on the fly fix.

Back