Suhr Modern Pro vs EBMM JP15

Meeotch

I've played a Majesty and was super impressed, but can't get along with the aesthetics. Never touched a Suhr. The specs on these two are very similar, as are the prices. What would you choose and why?

I play all kinds of rock, with an emphasis on the heavy. Don't really want a tremolo bridge but I'm intrigued and can lock it down if needed. The built-in boost on the JP15 seems rad, as does the piezo, but would this all complicate a pickup swap? I'd also prefer an ebony board but not mandatory. Would love some opinions on these two beauties!

https://www.suhr.com/instruments/modern/suhr-modern-pro/

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/jp15

I actually own both of these guitars. Not sure what exactly you’re wanting to know so I’ll just state some opinions of mine between the two.

-the ergonomics and overall curves of the Suhr feel sleeker and less “clunky” to me.

- the Suhr has a slight edge when it comes to balancing in the lap aka no neck dive.

- the SSH+ and SSV pickups sound quite different than the jp15. The Dimarzio illuminators I would say are geared more for heavy music but the Suhr pickups can hold their own well with some amp adjustments. The Suhr bridge pup is very midrangey and at first I didn’t really like it, but now I’m warming up to it quickly.

- the music mans neck is a bit thinner in profile and very smooth. Think baby powder on an athletic girls thighs :thumbsup:
The Suhrs neck fills the hand a little more, is almost as smooth as the jp15, with nicely rounded shoulders.

-The SS frets on both are top shelf execution, but the jp15 wins by a nose for extra glassy feeling. The PLEK setup on the Suhr is awesome. Intonation and action are absolutely excellent.

- the jack position on the jp15 will prevent you from playing on your left knee unless you use a right angle plug.

- Both guitars have excellent locking tuners. I almost think the Suhr tuners are made by Schaller because they look almost exactly like my jp15 tuners.

- both guitars have excellent unplugged acoustic liveliness

Anything else you’re wondering about?

Thanks for the awesome feedback! It's been a while since I've owned a guitar with a middle pickup. Do you see that as an advantage in the Suhr? I worry about my pick striking the pickup when I'm digging in.

Would I be stuck with the Illuminators in the JP15?

I forgot about the PLEK setup on the Suhr, that is an awesome feature for sure.

I’ll admit the middle pickup in the Suhr does get swiped a fair bit when playing but it’s not enough to inhibit playing or anything, just like “hmm I think I’ve been swiping the middle pickup whilst playing” lol

You would not be stuck with the illuminators on the jp15. I’ve seen numerous people swap the stock pickups for bare knuckles and whatnot before. Just have a competent tech install them so he navigates the jp’s extensive wiring properly.

Back