Out Front: Modulation Pedal Order

Junk Yard Dog

I put my phaser, flanger, and Chorus out front. Delay and verb in the loop.

Amps are modded Marshall’s. I go Guitar > wah > OD > chorus > amp.

I was thinking to do chorus > flanger > phaser.

As for distortion, I mainly use the amp, but use the Savage Drive (SD) for songs, and I know people say to our phase and flange before distortion, but I don’t consider my SD my distortion, but just a tight boost.

What say to guys? In What order do I put my phaser and flanger? Thanks!

I never use phase/flange/chorus/wah at the same time so I don't worry about the order of those. But I'd put them all before any boost/OD and I'd probably stick the wah either first like paulyc or after all the mod pedals.

Also sometimes pedals don't like too hot of a signal and so putting the mod pedals after boost might cause problems depending on how much boost there is.

Junk Yard Dog":1xoawdfl said:
Wow. Ok. On a lot of the articles I see, most show modulation after boost pedals.

A lot depends on how much of a boost you have from your boost pedal. If there is any type of clipping coming from it then remember it will also clip and change the characteristic of the modulation waves coming from those pedals that are after it. If you think about in those terms it might help you decide where you want the order to be. If your going for a clean unaltered chorus signal then you may want that before a boost (depending on if your boost is clipping} or any type of od. Any article thats out there, no matter who the author is, is really just a guideline but not an exact choice.
I know it sounds lame but the way you will know where they should go is where you think they sound the best. Wahs generally like to be put first in the chain and most dont really get along with altered signals going into them, thats why they can sound really ratty after an od pedal for instance. There are some guys who run it after for exactly that reason though. A subtle flange can sound great later in the chain but a heavy flange can sound the exact opposite in the same place. If you use many different settings for a flange lets say, you may have to compromise and find a spot where it sounds best on everything. This has been an ongoing debate for years and for every guy who runs chorus before an od you will find another who runs it after! :LOL: :LOL: Like I said, if you think about how your signal is affected in the chain and what YOU want that might help you rather than someone saying this is what you should do. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

One quick question . What would be the difference in sound from running the mod pedals before the amp or in the loop ?

harsh59":26krtfmr said:
One quick question . What would be the difference in sound from running the mod pedals before the amp or in the loop ?

hmm... Not sure as I'm new to Phaser and Flanger. ...I like my MXR Analog Chorus out front, so I'm thinking it's sort of the same thing with the other two.

The op is asking about pedals only. I’d rather have Chorus in the loop (coming from a rack device too) along with delay and Reverb (also rack), but phase and flanger sound better to me out front. Ideally there would be W/D/W but that’s a whole other discussion.

paulyc":4ox3ebk1 said:
The op is asking about pedals only. I’d rather have Chorus in the loop (coming from a rack device too) along with delay and Reverb (also rack), but phase and flanger sound better to me out front. Ideally there would be W/D/W but that’s a whole other discussion.
This is my style as well.

JerEvil":29rgutkd said:
paulyc":29rgutkd said:

me too

Damn!! ...I don't know what a W/D/W does to your sound. I've always liked an anaolog chorus up front. I have the MXR Analog and I think it sounds great up front vs. in the loop. Maybe I need to try it in the loop again.

Cheers.

If I'm playing clean, chorus up front vs in the loop doesn't sound much different. Once things start getting a little crunchy, chorus up front starts getting muddy vs in the loop where it retains clarity. However, either place is definitely valid.

W/D/W, or Wet/Dry/Wet, just means that the effected sound comes out in stereo on the left and right, while a center cabinet is always dry/unaffected. The benefit is that the original tone (center dry cab) always retains it's character, clarity, and definition, while the effects sound huge wrapped around both sides. The disadvantage is that it requires at least three speakers (usually in different cabs) with separate inputs (e.g. 1 mono cab = 1 speaker, 1 stereo cab = 2 speakers) and an additional two power amps (or one stereo amp) in addition to the main amp. To do it right and if you use more than one effect/processor, you need a mixer, too.

Hope that makes sense!

thenine":3mz30h4w said:
JerEvil":3mz30h4w said:
paulyc":3mz30h4w said:

me too
Same

Back