How do newer Charvel compare?

maddnotez

Banned
TL;DR - I got a 2005 Pointy reissue and it is amazing. Now I want more.

I played a San Dimas like around 2009 and while it seemed decent it does not even come close to the Charvel I have. So are the older ones just better?

Anything new that would compare to the one I have? Idk much about Charvel and seeing what else is out there.

Your pointy is equivalent to the Charvel Selects today, so that would be the real comparison rather than the Pro Mods.

I've played a couple fairly recent CS Charvels before I bought the D'Avanzo and was very underwhelmed. Had money in hand but no way was I spending that much coin on them. They were pretty and all but just dead, dead, dead. I know there's good ones out there but I just wasn't finding them.

SpiderWars":1o43wttj said:
I've played a couple fairly recent CS Charvels before I bought the D'Avanzo and was very underwhelmed. Had money in hand but no way was I spending that much coin on them. They were pretty and all but just dead, dead, dead. I know there's good ones out there but I just wasn't finding them.

Those D'Avanzo's look pretty amazing.

ibzprestige":35vjap7a said:
Check out Chubtone, reasonably priced and Charvel custom shop quality. I think you’d like them.
That is a Chubtone in my sig and I love it. It and the D'Avanzo are way better than the few CS Charvels I've played. Especially in the lively resonance and tone department. :thumbsup:

maddnotez":xyfodxia said:
Dave L":xyfodxia said:
Your pointy is equivalent to the Charvel Selects today, so that would be the real comparison rather than the Pro Mods.

Awesome thanks :rock:
Gonna disagree with this...those pointy reissues were built in the custom shop, by the same guys who build all the custom shop guitars. So they will be a step up from those selects of today.
The selects are akin to the USA Production models from 08/09, maybe a slight bit better but they aren't up to the specs of those pointy reissues.
But those selects might be like the 08/09 USAs in another aspect...there might be a few that will stay right with a Custom shop Charvel...I've run into a few of those ProMods before. Spectacular.

SpiderWars":2oes5sob said:
Really??

I haven't played/owned that many CS Charvels, 3 pointy RI and 2 Customs and all 5 were Les Paul resonant. Like loud as hell acoustically, and when I gigged had to re adjust when I plugged into one for a different set...major output difference.
Some of the USA/MIJ ProMods have been a little dead like you describe, but I've never had that experience with a CS Charvel.

Racerxrated":1n5ac011 said:
SpiderWars":1n5ac011 said:
Really??

I haven't played/owned that many CS Charvels, 3 pointy RI and 2 Customs and all 5 were Les Paul resonant. Like loud as hell acoustically, and when I gigged had to re adjust when I plugged into one for a different set...major output difference.
Some of the USA/MIJ ProMods have been a little dead like you describe, but I've never had that experience with a CS Charvel.
Yeah, I was so stoked driving to get them with money burning a hole in my pocket and then...trying to think of the most kind way to say no.

SpiderWars":3p127wov said:
ibzprestige":3p127wov said:
Check out Chubtone, reasonably priced and Charvel custom shop quality. I think you’d like them.
That is a Chubtone in my sig and I love it. It and the D'Avanzo are way better than the few CS Charvels I've played. Especially in the lively resonance and tone department. :thumbsup:

Curious - where'd you get that Les Paul in your sig, did you buy it locally?

napalmdeath":1fp54e2d said:
SpiderWars":1fp54e2d said:
ibzprestige":1fp54e2d said:

Curious - where'd you get that Les Paul in your sig, did you buy it locally?
No, I bought that new in 2002 and thought it was pretty good. Then I bought another Std from an R/T member and it kicked that one to the curb. Not close. So that one is gonzo. And my R9 gas is gonzo too lol.

They were production models when the USA Charvel line came back. You could get them with your choice of rosewood, maple or ebony boards, vintage trem or Floyd, 1H, 2H, H/S/S. I used to own a black H/H Star with Floyd and maple board, and it was a very nice guitar.

All I am going to say is plastic shit in the necks.

That is if you are comparing them to the 80's ones but if you want one like a 2000's they are exactly the same.

Attachments

• 1888.png
    1888.png
    222 KB · Views: 2,082
maddnotez":31658sb6 said:
Really GASing for this 1888. Edit: Just pre ordered this 1888.

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/limited- ... -sunburst/

Looks badass, I just worry about the quality, sound and playability compared to the Reissue I got.

I had a 2018 San Dimas which I liked quite well.

The body seemed real heavy, more than I like. I decided to have a custom body made to match up with a 2018 neck.

I contracted with MusiKraft and MJT for a super light Strat Body with the Charvel neck pocket. I am using the Hum/Hum config with a floating FL.

Hoping for good things.

Purpletele":39gpzuq8 said:
maddnotez":39gpzuq8 said:

Looks badass, I just worry about the quality, sound and playability compared to the Reissue I got.

The body seemed real heavy, more than I like. I decided to have a custom body made to match up with a 2018 neck.

I contracted with MusiKraft and MJT for a super light Strat Body with the Charvel neck pocket. I am using the Hum/Hum config with a floating FL.

Hoping for good things.

Good luck, hope it comes out perfect for you.

The one I have does have a bit of weight to it as well but I kind of like that. Made my Horizon feel like a feather. I have no idea how much it weighs but I may put it on the scale out of curiosity.

Purpletele":vtlni2c7 said:
maddnotez":vtlni2c7 said:

Hoping for good things.

The last time I tried some Charvels, I tried the Satchel, So-Cal, and DK24. The So-Cal was definitely heavy as crap. I dont know why it was so heavy. The DK24 I played next to it was like a feather in comparison. The DK24 felt much better in every way that day.

That was weird because I have a MIJ So-Cal, and it has some weight to it, but not quite boat anchor level.

EXPcustom":13x4fruv said:
All I am going to say is plastic shit in the necks.

That is if you are comparing them to the 80's ones but if you want one like a 2000's they are exactly the same.
A little steel wool and it's gone. Every newer one I've owned, if it wasn't as bare wood feeling as my 80s USA I just took steel wool to the neck, and it's exactly like the vintage Charvel.

maddnotez":1mx3nttm said:

I like that guitar,and I am happy to not see the scarf joint Jackson and Charvel likes to use,I hope it works out for you,I am a big Charvel fan since I had an original brand new Model 5 way back in 87-89 when they came out,would like to try another one..Good Luck on this.

Back