Mayones Guitars...

JimmyBlind":1qs8n4qw said:
FourT6and2":1qs8n4qw said:
I don't like Bareknuckle pickups in a Mayones for the reasons y'all have mentioned. BKPs are, by nature, rather sterile. Ok, maybe sterile isn't the right word. But they have clarity and a certain fidelity. When paired with a Mayones, it can be too much. I really like Seymour Duncan pickups (the Nazgul and Omega are my two favs). They smear the sound just enough to give my Duvells character. I'm sure a JB, Distortion, Black Winter, or any number of other pickups would sound great in these guitars. Oh, I actually put a Suhr Aldrich in my Koa Limited and it sounds fantastic too. BKP... not so much.

I'd say if you have to buy a lower fidelity pickup to give the guitar the character it doesn't otherwise have, then that's quite a revealing fault of the guitar.
Totally understand your point of course, but I don't think that's a great advert for these guitars. BKs are the preferred choice of pickup loaded into these guitars from the factory so unless that's merely a sales/marketing partnership between the two companies, then it is how Mayones intended their guitars to sound.
I'd say their guitars are likely aimed at certain genres of music where dynamics are less of a priority. That should be taken into account if someone is potentially going to buy one and wants to play anything other than compressed, homogenized, high gain metal on it.

For what it's worth, I don't like the sound of BKPs in other guitars either. I had a Nailbomb, Black Dog, Holy Diver, and one other I can't remember. Just got fatiguing after a while. Eventually went back to good ol' SD. And I don't consider SDs to be "lower fidelity" compared to BKPs. BKPs just have a certain sound and feel to them. They are comparatively stiff and clear, which is great for some. Not so great for others. The Duvell already has a great deal of clarity. My point was too much of a good thing isn't always the best thing.

I was just curious, because I thought I had heard of several Mayones that came stock with BKP. So, I looked at their site. Looks like the fanned fret Duvell and Regius, and the 35th Anniversary come with Aftermaths, the Misha Mansoor models with Juggernauts or Cobras, and the John Browne models with Nailbomb/Cold Sweat sets.

https://mayones.com/page/duvell-elite-vfrets-6/
https://mayones.com/page/regius-vfrets-6/
https://mayones.com/35th-anniversary
https://mayones.com/page/regius-mm-4ever-tt-6/
https://mayones.com/page/regius-mm-cw-6/
https://mayones.com/page/duvell-q-summer-moss-6/

Good eye. I didn't look at the signature models since the peeps who create them spec whatever pickups they want.

I love my mayo with my slax and oversized slax cab. That rig has so much complexity with the tone. My “sterile” or “Uber tight” regius with BKP ceramic n-bomb is just what the doc ordered.
It complements that rig so well. It tightens in all the right places, but also has this searing cut to it that doesn’t get old and feels really good under the fingers for fast metal.
But I can see what y’all are saying with the tone, with other types of amps. I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting lately.

The Friedman Butterslax doesn't strike me as a "sterile" amp. From the clips I've heard, sounds rather chewy and lo-fi. Has that been your experience?

That’s exactly what I’m mean. Slax is a very complex tone with lots of growl and midrange cut. It isn’t as polished as other Friedman’s. I had it modded to get it even nastier and more aggressive. It’s the polar opposite from something like a Diezel. I think the Regius compliments my slax because of those qualities. I don’t like the mayo with my diezel Herbert as much unless I boost it.

FourT6and2":30s8e9kk said:
I don't like Bareknuckle pickups in a Mayones for the reasons y'all have mentioned. BKPs are, by nature, rather sterile. Ok, maybe sterile isn't the right word. But they have clarity and a certain fidelity. When paired with a Mayones, it can be too much. I really like Seymour Duncan pickups (the Nazgul and Omega are my two favs). They smear the sound just enough to give my Duvells character. I'm sure a JB, Distortion, Black Winter, or any number of other pickups would sound great in these guitars. Oh, I actually put a Suhr Aldrich in my Koa Limited and it sounds fantastic too. BKP... not so much.

Funny you say that about the pickups. I have a much cheaper guitar than all these posted, and it’s god awful about pickups, but loves the nazgul.
It’s a jackson alder body dinky, and I tried putting a lundgren m6 in it, and it hated it. Just awful. Put the nazgul back in and it’s killer again. The only other pickup it liked was a black winter.

mchn13":2bhphf5b said:
FourT6and2":2bhphf5b said:

Funny you say that about the pickups. I have a much cheaper guitar than all these posted, and it’s god awful about pickups, but loves the nazgul.
It’s a jackson alder body dinky, and I tried putting a lundgren m6 in it, and it hated it. Just awful. Put the nazgul back in and it’s killer again. The only other pickup it liked was a black winter.

Yeah, the Nazgul is a great pickup.

I recently bought my first Mayones guitar, a Setius 6 and it's simply a mindblowing instrument! Awesome quality, neck, hardware, looks, feeling, character and in a nutshell: highly recommended, I would definitely buy it again, even for a higher price.

Back