Mayones Guitars...

I love mine... Elite and Master Build..

GYl1y1ol.jpg

FourT6and2":3kl348v7 said:
Love mah Duvells. I've got two Master Builders and one of those older Koa Limiteds.

There's a Koa one on Reverb I've had my eye on. Kind of pricey though. How does yours compare to the Master Builds?

I had a custom built Regius several years ago and sold it...regretted it ever since.

If anyone ever runs across a black 6 string Regius with daggers for fretboard markers, would appreciate letting me know...thought it would eventually pop up somewhere but never has.

mhenson42":2tqekkul said:
FourT6and2":2tqekkul said:
Love mah Duvells. I've got two Master Builders and one of those older Koa Limiteds.

There's a Koa one on Reverb I've had my eye on. Kind of pricey though. How does yours compare to the Master Builds?

They all sound/play about the same. The koa limited has a black limba/korina body, which is denser than sapele. So it's a bit of a thicker, more immediate sound. But it still sounds like a Duvell.

Masterbuild Mayones are still built by the same small team. They just usually have a little crazier woods. I have had probably 50 Mayones and played, many, many more, including firend's that tour with them constantly etc. Some of their bursts leave a bit to be desired, and I have seen some stain bleed on them occasionally. Never seen another flaw if you will. Fantastic instruments. Duvell is the shining star. Regius is a very sterile instrument, incredibly pickup dependent tonally, mainly due to these 11-piece necks. Still an epic guitar, but very sterile. Setius sound and play amazing, as do the Legends. Basses are off the charts. Build quality is always fantastic that I have seen, at least 98-99% of the time. Again though, Duvell is a next-level instrument. More sustain and attack due to the bolt-on, very lively instrument, balances well, great fret access, etc. Duvell is the one to get hands down in my book.

engage757":3oe1vupo said:
Masterbuild Mayones are still built by the same small team. They just usually have a little crazier woods. I have had probably 50 Mayones and played, many, many more, including firend's that tour with them constantly etc. Some of their bursts leave a bit to be desired, and I have seen some stain bleed on them occasionally. Never seen another flaw if you will. Fantastic instruments. Duvell is the shining star. Regius is a very sterile instrument, incredibly pickup dependent tonally, mainly due to these 11-piece necks. Still an epic guitar, but very sterile. Setius sound and play amazing, as do the Legends. Basses are off the charts. Build quality is always fantastic that I have seen, at least 98-99% of the time. Again though, Duvell is a next-level instrument. More sustain and attack due to the bolt-on, very lively instrument, balances well, great fret access, etc. Duvell is the one to get hands down in my book.

my Regius is FAR FROM STERILE!! That's crazy talk.

engage757":31kmleif said:

You've had fifty (50) Mayones guitars? Jesus. I think I've owned 10 guitars in my life.

FourT6and2":158atfma said:
engage757":158atfma said:

You've had fifty (50) Mayones guitars? Jesus. I think I've owned 10 guitars in my life.

Used to be pretty insane and OCD with gear man. If I told you how many I have had total? It would be ridiculous. But yeah, always buying/selling/trading. LOVE Mayones too. :)

And your ten? Are at least all badass. :)

mooncobra":3ekulvie said:
engage757":3ekulvie said:

I have played a metric shit ton of Regiuses. You might not hear it mate, but yeah, they all are. 11-piece neck-thru with tons of glue holding everything together. Swap out your pickups and watch what happens. I know a ton of players that know it too, not even a question. Still a great guitar, but exceptionally pickup-tone dependent, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Still in my top 20 or so guitar models ever in fact. If you want to know what a pickup sounds like, stick it in an Aristides or a Regius. Every time. :)

i've heard that about the regius too which is a shame because they are my favorite looks wise from mayones.

engage757":2bvr5fkn said:
I have played a metric shit ton of Regiuses. You might not hear it mate, but yeah, they all are. 11-piece neck-thru with tons of glue holding everything together. Swap out your pickups and watch what happens. I know a ton of players that know it too, not even a question. Still a great guitar, but exceptionally pickup-tone dependent, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Still in my top 20 or so guitar models ever in fact. If you want to know what a pickup sounds like, stick it in an Aristides or a Regius. Every time. :)

I think its guitars built like that where the misconception that wood doesn't make a difference in tone comes from.

engage757":14c2mgdw said:
mooncobra":14c2mgdw said:
engage757":14c2mgdw said:

You are right. I had like 7 Regius. I like the Setius the best but the Duvell is great too. They are a little body heavy axes though. I have played other much more balanced guitars like my GNG.

I also own a Regius that I love and plan to keep, but I agree about it being in many ways sterile, but as engage said it’s not necessarily a bad quality. I’ve had a bunch of different pickups in it and they did sound super different as others said and I think it’s cool that it really highlights that. What I mostly like about my Regius though is how tight and punchy it sounds when played acoustically. None of my 14 other guitars can match its acoustic tightness or punch to the notes. Also, for what it’s worth I found all the Suhr’s I’ve tried (even the really expensive, fancy ones) to be some of the most sterile guitars I’ve tried

These threads kill me every time. Would love one of these guitars. Have heard nothing but good things about them.

I own a regius custom, lefty.
I will agree with braintheory. My regius is extremely punchy and tight, and projects better acoustically than any guitar I’ve tried. The “sterile” term is not the word I would use though. Sterile is more often than not, a negative word. Meaning something is usually lacking. I’m not gonna be rude or try and put anyone’s else’s terminology down....... but I’ll give my experience FWIW.

The way these neck thru’s are built is for extreme stability. It’s the whole reason the multi-ply neck-thru was started. They resonate like no ones business also (if built right). There also isn’t that much glue used in the scheme of things. You’d be surprised how much glue is used in a multi ply neck thru vs. the amount of glue used on a deep set neck joint. We’re taking about very thin layers of glue between the strips. When you clamp down a multi ply neckthru to cure, you’d be surprised how much glue is actually pushed out from how much was applied.
I’ve actually been able to help build some really nice guitar. My buddy sells them all over the world for over $3k and he builds them in his garage in Cali. No cnc machine, those guitar have serious “mojo.”
I’ve helped build neckthru’s, set-necks, and bolt-ons. Each have their own characteristics for sure.
Guitars being pickup dependent is a cool thing to me.
My regius has BKP and is tight, punchy and I love it. I will prob wind up getting a duvelle elite though also, cause mayos are the shit. But my regius totally has a place in my arsenal. It is def not lacking, and is very inspiring to play.

I had two custom shop regius and a duvell elite. My favourite was the duvell. while i likes the looks of the regius i just didn't bond with the them. I have to agree about being sterile.

I've not played any other Mayones. But the Duvells I've owned (and still own) sound fantastic. Hard to put it into words. But I got rid of my PRS and Les Pauls pretty much instantly once I got my first Duvell.

Of my three, this one is my go-to, though:

aimg_5624_by_haftelm-db7fykf.jpg

aimg_5622_by_haftelm-db7fydd.jpg

aimg_5623_by_haftelm-db7fydo.jpg

However the body on my Koa Limited is UNREAL. I've thought about ordering a custom shop with a black limba body like this one and a ziricote top. Maybe one day.

limited4_by_haftelm-da1mfp6.jpg

Back