NAD_Wizard MCII

-if ya wanna party with the big dogs ya can't be pissing with the pups-
-MAN'S AMP BITCHES!-

-I believe it was "devil inside" that I bought a first run JJ from? if I've said it once I've said it atleast once.... Rig Talk is by far the best place to buy & sell gear

sg guy":1b10hsvh said:
-if ya wanna party with the big dogs ya can't be pissing with the pups-
-MAN'S AMP BITCHES!-

-I believe it was "devil inside" that I bought a first run JJ from? if I've said it once I've said it atleast once.... Rig Talk is by far the best place to buy & sell gear
Yep, also a STELLAR amp!!

I've had this amp for the better part of two months now and figured the honeymoon should be about over.

Still just absolutely amazed with this amp. Has to be one of the meanest most aggressive sounds I've had yet out of an amp. The wide open/uncompressed gain structure, articulation, growl, and balls this machine is capable of is utterly mind boggling. I've sold 3 amps and counting since acquiring this.

MetalHeadMike":3csvhw1s said:
I've had this amp for the better part of two months now and figured the honeymoon should be about over.

Still just absolutely amazed with this amp. Has to be one of the meanest most aggressive sounds I've had yet out of an amp. The wide open/uncompressed gain structure, articulation, growl, and balls this machine is capable of is utterly mind boggling. I've sold 3 amps and counting since acquiring this.
I'm with ya. Haven't played much with my other amps either. Been having fun with a w/d/w setup the past week or so, no loop in my MCI and I don't want to mess with perfection.
Lol

Racerxrated":2ubgo0cj said:
MetalHeadMike":2ubgo0cj said:

I'm with ya. Haven't played much with my other amps either. Been having fun with a w/d/w setup the past week or so, no loop in my MCI and I don't want to mess with perfection.
Lol

Yeah unfortunately neither of mine have a loop so I use a fryette powerstation when I want reverb or delay. Several of my amps are nmv so I need the fryette anyway and it works pretty well. Actually come to think of it I never play those amps anymore, time to get motivated and get rid of some stuff. Nothing but a wizard will ever do it for me :LOL: :LOL:

MetalHeadMike":352xr2hr said:

Not surprising these amps are UNBELIEVABLE :LOL: :LOL:
Darned expensive but second to none.
Have fun, I'm 2 plus years in with the wizard's and still feel like I'm on the Honeymoon!

Racerxrated":3s5jfnkn said:
MetalHeadMike":3s5jfnkn said:

Lol

Good stuff right!

sjk":3s5jfnkn said:
Not surprising these amps are UNBELIEVABLE :LOL: :LOL:
Darned expensive but second to none.
Have fun, I'm 2 plus years in with the wizard's and still feel like I'm on the Honeymoon!

Yeah, it's like your just as surprised as day one every time you plug in :rock:

Yeah... I've GOT to get one of these... More than any other amp, it seems like, regardless of the model, they've all got something for everyone. I can't recall anybody ever saying anything about a Wizard that wasn't exemplary.

:rawk:

ChurchHill":2exjw58v said:
Yeah... I've GOT to get one of these... More than any other amp, it seems like, regardless of the model, they've all got something for everyone. I can't recall anybody ever saying anything about a Wizard that wasn't exemplary.

:rawk:

It's a cool amp for sure, I think you'd dig it :rock: I've never had an amp that allows for such tweak-ability of how dark or bright you want your tone. You can tailor it via the contour and bright knobs to fit each guitar and or pickup exactly in terms of how bright or how dark you want your tone. Such an articulate/clear/open gain structure, it's nuts!

Honestly the only criticism I could imagine one would have is the dryness they can have compared to other amps, ie lack of compression which can make Wizards a bit harder to play on for some that are used to say a 5153 which are full of compression. But if you dig VHT/Fryette stuff you won't have any problem with Wizards...they aren't as dry as VHT. But the lack of compression equals incredible note separation and clarity, and there is no amp...none that have the power section that steamrolls the player like a Wizard.
I've had 2 Mesa Coliseums...they are rated at 180W...and my 100w Wizard is at least as loud. Triple Recto? Fuggedaboudit. I A/Bd my triple next to my Wizard. Either the Triple is not 150w or the Wizard is 160 lol.
Insanely great amps that put a smile on my face every day.

Racerxrated":1atkblpj said:
Honestly the only criticism I could imagine one would have is the dryness they can have compared to other amps, ie lack of compression which can make Wizards a bit harder to play on for some that are used to say a 5153 which are full of compression. But if you dig VHT/Fryette stuff you won't have any problem with Wizards...they aren't as dry as VHT. But the lack of compression equals incredible note separation and clarity, and there is no amp...none that have the power section that steamrolls the player like a Wizard.

I agree with this 100%

"Steamroll the player" it does. Great analogy!

The power section is like a hot rod car on the verge of blowing up.. well the whole amp is like that really

lespaul6":1jwl8y8v said:
The power section is like a hot rod car on the verge of blowing up.. well the whole amp is like that really
There's a spot on the volume that when set very quiet, easily apartment quiet, (don't have to worry here) where it really sounds like an amp with a pushed power section...I have no clue how he does that at such a quiet level.

MetalHeadMike":3sndktw0 said:

... and you are not alone. The Wizards took out both my Herbert and VH4. Which is no small feat. Just not as fun if the amp doesn't say Wizard on the front.

Racerxrated":c3eaac29 said:
I've had 2 Mesa Coliseums...they are rated at 180W...and my 100w Wizard is at least as loud. Triple Recto? Fuggedaboudit. I A/Bd my triple next to my Wizard. Either the Triple is not 150w or the Wizard is 160 lol.

I've owned a few Fryettes, but I'm not a fan of their amps in general. Not horrible by any means. The Ultra-Lead in particular is too tight/dry/unsaturated. It has an odd voicing when played loud... especially side to side with a Marshall, Mesa, or something more familiar/classic sounding. Some like it, some not. Something hollow, missing in the mid-voicing.

The Wizards, while staying tight, and a little dry can get plenty saturated/wet/fun to play for my taste. Rick has the recipe just right. Enough preamp push to wet/saturate the signal... but enough power/filtering in the power amp too keep things tight/defined/articualte without sounding odd/off/too stiff/too sterile... and very little compression which is key to the focused/articulate high gain tones at loud volumes. No signal squash even when turned up. Nice mix of all the right ingredients. Like baking the perfect cake.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Racerxrated":24kdzodb said:
What version Coliseum, IIC+ or ++

Wizard of Ozz":37xb24c0 said:
MetalHeadMike":37xb24c0 said:

... and you are not alone. The Wizards took out both my Herbert and VH4. Which is no small feat. Just not as fun if the amp doesn't say Wizard on the front.
I also got rid of several amps when I first got a Wizard. Out of curiosity, which amps have still been keepers for you since getting them?

exo-metal":zrw0hs77 said:
Racerxrated":zrw0hs77 said:
What version Coliseum, IIC+ or ++
Original IIB, and a Mike B loop modded IIB+ Coliseums.

Welcome to the World of Wizard. Just got my MC 100 back from Rick 1st week of June and I've been kinda absent ever since for good reason. Great post you made and all the adjectives are correct. A new one needs to be added to the dictionary when it comes to the Modern Classic.
A long time drummer of mine happened by the studio last week and he left with his jaw draggin' the floor...he was speechless. Wizard MC knockout punch! :gethim: :thumbsup: Peace

MetalHeadMike":1jlw62es said:
I finally caved and bought a Wizard. Couldn't take it anymore and had to see what all the hype was about.

5uYOnU6l.jpg

2km7xydl.jpg

Well my initial thoughts upon plugging in the day it arrived were that everything I've read regarding the amps punchy nature are 1000% spot on and fact. I surely thought that people were exaggerating with comments like "it makes all my other amps feel/sound small", or "you have to sit in front of one in the room to understand".

It is tremendously powerful and you really do have to experience it in the room to understand it.

The percussive effect and amount of air moved is almost hard to believe. Some amps punch you in the chest, some smash you in the face, but this thing punches you in the chest, smashes you in the face, and kicks you in the nuts simultaneously. I had the master on 5 the other day and my wife came into the basement saying the entire house was shaking on its foundation and it felt as if it was going to shake apart.

There are many aspects about this machine that are still blowing my mind, but I think the thing that has me the most amazed is the fact that this is the first amp that I was able to dial a tone that I absolutely love and its there every time I plug in without touching a knob; all I do is flip it to standby and play. No continuous knob turning like I've experienced with damn near every other amp. Not to say I couldn't get great tones from other amps, but it seemed that I'd no sooner find a tone I was satisfied with, and the next day it just wasn't right, it wasn't there, and the knob turning would commence.

When people say this is one of the most open gain structures in the business, I can now see why they make this claim. It's also cable of some pretty extreme saturation too. I have spent 99% of my time on the lead channel with the boost engaged and plugged into the low input, and its more than enough gain with gain knob at 1--->3 o' clock to satisfy my thrash and death metal urges all while doing so with amazing articulation and warmth. Great great voicing with a very mean unruly attitude. Dynamics are incredible. Pick light and its very very open yet raunchy, and dig in hard and it just snarls and growls like the hounds of hell. Palm mutes and chugs sound like pure fucking cannon fire.

I messed with the Rhythm channel briefly on day one to compare the rock tones to a Germino club 40, and it's definitely on par. It does the 60s--->70s rock n rolla stuff beautifully but definitely with major bite and attitude. Not near as sweet as the Germino but to be expected considering that's a 50w and bass spec with EL34 vs. the 100w E34L power section of the MCII. I need to get back to that channel and play more, but the metal tones on the lead channel are so seductive and will most likely keep me detained for the time being.

I've been very very hesitant to spend this much coin on one amp, but I have to say that so far its been worth every penny :rock:

braintheory":38blgyrg said:
Wizard of Ozz":38blgyrg said:
MetalHeadMike":38blgyrg said:

I also got rid of several amps when I first got a Wizard. Out of curiosity, which amps have still been keepers for you since getting them?

Besides the Wizards... Mesas: JP2C, MW Triple Recto, several MK3++ DRG, MK2C++ HRG, MK2C++ DRG, MK4, KSR Gemini, JCM8002203-Aldrich, 1967SLP.

I’ve downsized a lot. Not as much time to use them all now, like I used to. Hope you’re still enjoying the SE. Those are fun amps.

Back