P90s, please school me.

paulyc":1lf56gcc said:
Wayniac3":1lf56gcc said:
paulyc":1lf56gcc said:
errrrrl":1lf56gcc said:
I've been curious about Arcane pickups for awhile now, I also hear that the Lindy Frailin P90s are awesome.

So now its gone from gassing for a P90 SG OR a Les Paul Junior/Special. Anybody ever tried both? I'm guessing they would sound similar or pretty close at least.
I’d buy an older LP Deluxe and swap out the mini humbuckers for some P90s, same size route.
Those minis are sweet too...
Yes they are, I only mentioned it because this thread is about P90s, and it’s the same size route, can go either way. The old LP Pro had P90s and an ebony fretboard, they come up on eBay from time to time.
Thanks for that... my ebay watch list is getting crazy now. :LOL: :LOL: Kinda curious on LP jr and specials now too.

JerEvil":2fg8z03x said:
I have a custom would P90 from Arcane going in the neck of my new Pittman Custom build.
I think I told you once before but I want to be like you when I grow up ;)

I have two guitars with P90s....

A Waterstone Hollowbody with Lollar Overwound P90s....Amazing, not horribly noisy at all....Excellent rock raunch with great bluesy rolloff tones...

A Waterstone Semi Hollobody with Fralin Noiseless P90s....Very good, no noise....Weird, right.,....It's at the expense of output volume but works very nicely with a great rockabilly tone

errrrrl":2lbh77zm said:
So now its gone from gassing for a P90 SG OR a Les Paul Junior/Special. Anybody ever tried both? I'm guessing they would sound similar or pretty close at least.
Yeah, I've got all three, LP Junior, LP Special, and SG Special. And yes, I think they sound similar, certainly related. They feel different, though, but for no other reason that they're different guitars. The LP Jr. is fun for heavy rock, the SGS is, well, an SG, and the LPS is somewhere in between.

Watch Joey Alves from Y & T tear it up on Y&T Live from San Francisco with an old LP Junior double cut, I have it on VHS and I can’t hear a difference in the tone from his P90 or his yellow Charvel bolt on humbucker Flying V.

errrrrl":3vy2whcb said:
paulyc":3vy2whcb said:
Wayniac3":3vy2whcb said:
paulyc":3vy2whcb said:
errrrrl":3vy2whcb said:
I've been curious about Arcane pickups for awhile now, I also hear that the Lindy Frailin P90s are awesome.

I’d buy an older LP Deluxe and swap out the mini humbuckers for some P90s, same size route.
Those minis are sweet too...
Yes they are, I only mentioned it because this thread is about P90s, and it’s the same size route, can go either way. The old LP Pro had P90s and an ebony fretboard, they come up on eBay from time to time.
Thanks for that... my ebay watch list is getting crazy now. :LOL: :LOL: Kinda curious on LP jr and specials now too.

bro I love my Jr. Probably my favorite guitar to play. Such a simple beast, but it's just pure rock n' roll.

Riggins1966":1f4gbmd2 said:
bro I love my Jr. Probably my favorite guitar to play. Such a simple beast, but it's just pure rock n' roll.
Couldn't have said it any better. There's just something about it that makes an LP Jr incredibly fun to play. Like you said... "just pure rock n' roll."

JerEvil":2nsh75ph said:
Man I posted this a while back. Yamaha P90 loaded Revstar into a Dirty Shirley and DS112. I thought it sounded killer. Just mucking about at Guitar Center.

That does sound good,I like your playing here too..whatever tuning that was that you changed to around the 4:05 mark was awesome..heavy sludge ! Do you remember what you tuned down to at around the 4:05 time ? The P 90's sounded really deep,growling.

JerEvil":2o285vpn said:
Man I posted this a while back. Yamaha P90 loaded Revstar into a Dirty Shirley and DS112. I thought it sounded killer. Just mucking about at Guitar Center.

How the heck did I miss this one?

:confused:

Sounds mean!

Back in the 90's I had a 1968 Les Paul Deluxe with P90. It was a great guitar.

Today I ordered a P-Rail neck and Triple Shots to put on my Les Paul with JB in the bridge.

So I scored a LP Jr special double cut on ebay for a little under $600 with those bigger newer Gibson hard cases. Comes with Kinman branded p90s in it which I googled to be pretty decent, I'm stoked. Its a 2015 model with those robo tuner things and that metal nut thing but for the price I paid I'd say its a good step and probably not my last into the P90 world.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll try to make some clips of it eventually. :rock:

s-l1600.jpg

errrrrl":3rqzale5 said:
So I scored a LP Jr special double cut on ebay for a little under $600 with those bigger newer Gibson hard cases. Comes with Kinman branded p90s in it which I googled to be pretty decent, I'm stoked. Its a 2015 model with those robo tuner things and that metal nut thing but for the price I paid I'd say its a good step and probably not my last into the P90 world.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll try to make some clips of it eventually. :rock:

s-l1600.jpg

nice score man! The zero fret nut on these is usually a little weak. I have a 2015 also, and the brass nut started to show wear the same day I got it. Started pinging right off.

I can't endorse this enough as a replacement, straight drop in with no modding required:
http://www.graphtech.com/products/b...t-nut?id=e7a786ba-411f-4270-9c14-54363a50e627

Made tuning stability spot on. Never goes out now, and no more annoying "catching the divot" on the zero fret anymore.

I also replaced my tuners with Hipshot open back locking tuners, but it's because my robo tuners were glitchy and couldn't manual tune well. mostly work for others just fine.

Back