Preamp Question

braintheory

Hey guys, I know this is a basic question, but how do you connect a rack preamp to one of my heads to use as the power amp? I used to have a Langner DCP-1 preamp, but it’s been so long ago that I don’t remember. And do I plug the guitar into the head’s input or the preamp’s input? Thanks in advance

Guitar to input on preamp.

Preamp line out to effects return of amp.

Should be good to go! It should bypass the preamp section of your amp and just use the power section.

Have fun!

I see there’s an input jack on the back next to the 2 output jacks of the preamp and then an input jack on the front. Do I use the input jack on the front for the guitar? If so, what’s the purpose of the input jack on the back?

braintheory":p68p5r76 said:
I see there’s an input jack on the back next to the 2 output jacks of the preamp and then an input jack on the front. Do I use the input jack on the front for the guitar? If so, what’s the purpose of the input jack on the back?

The input on the back is usually used when wired up in a rack. That way you don't have the cable hanging out of the front.

Would it be possible to run my preamp into some of my amps that don’t have fx loops such as my older Marshall’s?

Yes, but make sure you set the amp to the most neutral clean sound you can (to start) and be aware that a hot signal coming out of the preamp will distort the amp. You'll be effectively running through two preamps, so the sound will be different, no matter what. Just keep the output level of the preamp as low as possible, use the amp's volume (preferably master volume, if it's got one) to control overall level, and tweak to taste.

ChurchHill":2c6wtmno said:
Yes, but make sure you set the amp to the most neutral clean sound you can (to start) and be aware that a hot signal coming out of the preamp will distort the amp. You'll be effectively running through two preamps, so the sound will be different, no matter what. Just keep the output level of the preamp as low as possible, use the amp's volume (preferably master volume, if it's got one) to control overall level, and tweak to taste.
But how would I actually connect it to an amp without an fx loop?

PaulyC, you're right... I misread the post to mean bypassing the additional preamp, not the amp's preamp. Without an FX loop, there is no way to bypass the amp's preamp.

braintheory":10stkq1t said:
Hey guys, I know this is a basic question, but how do you connect a rack preamp to one of my heads to use as the power amp? I used to have a Langner DCP-1 preamp, but it’s been so long ago that I don’t remember. And do I plug the guitar into the head’s input or the preamp’s input? Thanks in advance
Curious what happened to the Langner and why did u sell it? He was a friend of mine and whenever I see his name I follow the thread.

exo-metal":1af3idwn said:
braintheory":1af3idwn said:
Curious what happened to the Langner and why did u sell it? He was a friend of mine and whenever I see his name I follow the thread.
It sounded cool at first, but I preferred the sound of the modded Marshall’s I had by Gower and Cameron once I compared them. It was also too compressed for my taste

I'm looking forward to my 2203 Mark is modding now. I know after talking with him I know his trip is different than Todd's was. Both masters :thumbsup:

When instructing someone on using a preamp and a non.fx loop amp...I always have them think of preamp as just a large distortion/gain pedal.

Back