Anyone playing out with a greenback 4/12?

lespaul6

Just the standard greenbacks MIC... how do you like your tone? any issues? better for rhythm than soloing? thoughts welcome

The only greenback cab I ever played out with was the matching Framus Cobra cab and it was a firebreather!!! It sounded great for leads and just raw and angry for rhythms! I was more surprised than anyone at how mean it sounded! I don't know about with other amps but with the Cobra head, a greenback cab sounds incredible.

The two cabs I switched between gigs are an 83 800 cab with 65s and a 74 1960a with original creambacks. The 74 cab ended up a bit hairier at volume which was just fine, the bass can be a little loose with these but still tight enough for anything short of metal. Great mids, never fatiguing to me. The RI Chinese are a little hairier yet on the top end but they are very good as well, once they are broken in. They can be harsh if not broken in. The 800 cab with 65s has a similar tone but is definitely tighter.

I had a greenback cab years ago and ended up selling the quad to someone on this forum.. I'm thinking I should have kept them around. I thought they sounded soft at the time compared to my vintage 30's- but I think I was really pushing them too hard.

Oblivion DC":2zo3r942 said:
The only greenback cab I ever played out with was the matching Framus Cobra cab and it was a firebreather!!! It sounded great for leads and just raw and angry for rhythms! I was more surprised than anyone at how mean it sounded! I don't know about with other amps but with the Cobra head, a greenback cab sounds incredible.

I know there are different types of greenbacks, do you know what was loaded in the cab? There's 55Hz cones, 65Hz cones, date codes, etc etc?

glpg80":1ckk39rz said:
Oblivion DC":1ckk39rz said:

I know there are different types of greenbacks, do you know what was loaded in the cab? There's 55Hz cones, 65Hz cones, date codes, etc etc?
I'm sorry man, I wish I did.

Different GBs I know, but the EVH 412 sounds great for both rhythm and lead. Those EVH speakers are in fact Heritage GBs and sound great. I've used it with 7-8 different amps and all sound great through it.

I find GBs to not cut the master with a loud band. It's great at home, but always something missing for modern tones.

lespaul6":te9ag3vq said:
I had a greenback cab years ago and ended up selling the quad to someone on this forum.. I'm thinking I should have kept them around. I thought they sounded soft at the time compared to my vintage 30's- but I think I was really pushing them too hard.
They are rated at a lower efficiency than the V30s, so with your Wizard you should be able to get your MV up a little more without pissing the neighbors off lol. The MIC ones will definitely add more raunch to your tone with the speaker breakup they have. They really are well suited for your Wizard. I have a Mesa Traditional and I tried it with the MC and my 65s and GBs were far better to my ears. But those V30s are different than the Marshall Vintages, softer with less highs.

Spaceboy":ksbv196k said:
I find GBs to not cut the master with a loud band. It's great at home, but always something missing for modern tones.

this is kind of what I remember.... but like I said, I think I was mushing them out a bit.

Racerxrated":2zztizfc said:
lespaul6":2zztizfc said:
They are rated at a lower efficiency than the V30s, so with your Wizard you should be able to get your MV up a little more without pissing the neighbors off lol. The MIC ones will definitely add more raunch to your tone with the speaker breakup they have. They really are well suited for your Wizard. I have a Mesa Traditional and I tried it with the MC and my 65s and GBs were far better to my ears. But those V30s are different than the Marshall Vintages, softer with less highs.

I agree with you on the Wizard... I liked that I could get a full filled out tone at a lower volume given the efficiency... my drummer though lol

Yes, those are absolutely great speakers/great cab. I love those heritage GBs.

The now-cliched GB on top, V30s on bottom is really a great combo for all styles.

MetalHeadMike":1o2l4opn said:
Different GBs I know, but the EVH 412 sounds great for both rhythm and lead. Those EVH speakers are in fact Heritage GBs and sound great. I've used it with 7-8 different amps and all sound great through it.

When I played out I use a Marshall slant with 75’s. It had 2 grill cloths on it... small check over basketweave. That cab sounded great and didn’t rip your face off.

lespaul6":7sv1rvuk said:
Spaceboy":7sv1rvuk said:

this is kind of what I remember.... but like I said, I think I was mushing them out a bit.
wiht

I've been running the Wizard through a G12-K100 loaded 2x12 paired with an EVH 412 and its awesome. Its also awesome through just that EVH cab. Have played LOUD through that EVH with no mushing out, just pure punch you in the guts.

Back