• Basswood & Maple

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Basswood & Mahogany

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Mahogany & Mahogany

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Docster

Looking at a new Suhr Modern and am wondering what preference RT'ers have on body and neck woods. Assume the body carries a Maple Top.

Since a rosewood neck wasn't an option, I'd say mahogany body/maple top with a mahogany neck. Warmth and tone for days - classic les paul combination in a super strat platform.

My strat is alder/maple top with a maple neck, and my les paul eats it for lunch when it comes to bigness, warmth, and overall resonance. There's something to say about mahogany necks that I just love.

I liked my basswood maple neck vs alder maple neck. A bit larger sounding and more balanced. I would look at the limited suhr modern pro "antique". I got a decent deal on one brand new from Eddies recently. Has the roasted neck and the nitro body with light checking.

For a sure fire winner that I know what to expect, I’d forgo the custom build and just get a Suhr Modern Pro with the African Mahogany body and mahogany neck.

stratjacket":3unuieii said:
For a sure fire winner that I know what to expect, I’d forgo the custom build and just get a Suhr Modern Pro with the African Mahogany body and mahogany neck.

Or even the satin.

Theres a reason that basswood is used on mid level Ibanez, for a Suhr I would rather have a much more resonant and better tonewood.

Sorry to derail, but anyone here tried one of the new Ibanez AZ Prestige? I played one of the premium versions in a shop recently and it played a felt great.

Given the options listed I chose Alder and Maple.

The reason why is simply because it seems like every guitar I have/had is/was Mahogany/Maple. I would also have the Basswood as a high ranked 2nd or even a tie. I disagree with the status quo, yeah cheap guitars use Basswood because it is cheaper however there are many high end guitars that are made and sound excellent using Basswood.

On the third hand, if I was going all out and money was no object I would opt for one of those Suhr Select Modern Waterfall Burl guitars with the Black Limba/Burl and Pau Ferro.

maddnotez":22jvr8gk said:
On the third hand, if I was going all out and money was no object I would opt for one of those Suhr Select Modern Waterfall Burl guitars with the Black Limba/Burl and Pau Ferro.
Black Limba would be my top choice for a main body wood, too. I've really been liking the Ziricote boards and Cocobolo necks I've been seeing lately, too.

For the poll, I went back and forth between alder/maple and mahogany/maple. I have both combinations and I think with a maple top, the mahogany bodies are just a little warmer and the alder bodies are a little "spankier" for lack of a better word. I like both equally, but voted mahogany/maple just because that was where my cursor was last before I hit submit. :)

Back