Helix Heavies: Ep.1 - Tone Inspired by Mick Mars "TFFL"

JerEvil

Hey all,

This took WAY longer than expected to get done but here it it. The first in a new series called "Helix Heavies". This is my take on recreating tones from a very broad range of music that inspired (and continues to inspire) me to play guitar. Everything from Classic Hard Rock/Metal to Death/Thrash and beyond.

This first vid is inspired by one of my all time favorite tones, the Too Fast for Love album from Mötley Crüe. Such an oddball tone, I did the best I could to get something that captured the spirit of what Mick had going on with that album.

I do a full walkthrough of the patch and then show in a full mix as well. I'll probably go back and add vocals but who knows... Who am I kidding??? I am definitely going to do the vocals! LOL!

Anyway, here's the vid. There's a link to the patch in the description on YouTube.

srommes":2rp9mx08 said:
Nailed that tone. Loved it

How about some Akira Takasaki tone from Thunder in the East. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Yeah I can do some Loudness for sure! Been setting up some Defenders-Era Priest.

That was great Jer, Mick is such a monster player, always loved his tone, on every album. Was different but always unique. Such an inspiration for me.

Did i hear you say Florida death metal!!!!!! Chuck is another huge influence, Symbolic era is epic!!!!!

Great job on the tones man :rock:

If you could do a patch for Scott Ian's tone on Among the Living or the S.O.D. Speak English or Die album that would be awesome. Love those albums guitar tones.

sounds excellent buddy. the helix impressed me outta all in its range. not to compare, but with i hear ax8 it still sounds like a modeling amp. the helix doesn’t to my ear a lot of the time. good stuff.

Its awesome that your celebrating the great guitar tone on this album.

Sounds killer, especially in the full mix.

JerEvil":1qdee66y said:
srommes":1qdee66y said:

Thanks! Yeah I can do some Loudness for sure! Been setting up some Defenders-Era Priest.

Always loved the Screaming for Veangance tone. For lack of decent vocabulary it just sounds so damn “electric”. It sounds processed but raw at the same time. They had such a unique tone back then. Never heard another band sound anything like their guitars.

Valtyr":mewxyi51 said:
I haven't heard the album, but that tone sounds great.
Thanks!

7 Stringer":mewxyi51 said:
That was great Jer, Mick is such a monster player, always loved his tone, on every album. Was different but always unique. Such an inspiration for me.

Did i hear you say Florida death metal!!!!!! Chuck is another huge influence, Symbolic era is epic!!!!!

Great job on the tones man :rock:
Yeah man Mick may not have been a shredder but dude was riff master! Glad you dug it. I actually meant Obituary BUT... I’ll tackle some Death as well.

Dave Simpson":mewxyi51 said:
If you could do a patch for Scott Ian's tone on Among the Living or the S.O.D. Speak English or Die album that would be awesome. Love those albums guitar tones.
Yeah I’ll give it a go. Huge SOD fan! I know FAKA was trying to do a good SOD tone at one point.

crwnedblasphemy":mewxyi51 said:
sounds excellent buddy. the helix impressed me outta all in its range. not to compare, but with i hear ax8 it still sounds like a modeling amp. the helix doesn’t to my ear a lot of the time. good stuff.
Yeah man. I’ve owned ‘em all and Helix by far is my favorite. With very little time you can get some killer tones. I really love it. Thanks for checking the vid out.

Tronald Dump":mewxyi51 said:
Its awesome that your celebrating the great guitar tone on this album.

Sounds killer, especially in the full mix.
Thanks! One thing I meant to mention in the vid and forgot, M Wagener said all the tracks were re-amped through monitors... I assume he means the studio monitors which is weird but could be why that almost phased guitar tone is so unique. Anytime something from this album comes on I get wicked pumped! Lol! It actually works really well for Randy tones too.

skoora":mewxyi51 said:
JerEvil":mewxyi51 said:
srommes":mewxyi51 said:

Always loved the Screaming for Veangance tone. For lack of decent vocabulary it just sounds so damn “electric”. It sounds processed but raw at the same time. They had such a unique tone back then. Never heard another band sound anything like their guitars.
Oh it’s a killer tone for sure. I’ll have to poke through and see where there are some good “guitars only” breaks so I can match it.

I am working on the tone from Hypocrisy’s “Hang Him High”. 7-string tuned to drop Ab.

Some other interesting stuff coming.

yeah. the 6:37 mark volume blocks sound killer. makes it seem more like an overdriven cranked marshall. this is the third time watching. lol. my buddy simon has a helix...i might have to work my way to his pad and try it.

crwnedblasphemy":3tumy2vz said:
yeah. the 6:37 mark volume blocks sound killer. makes it seem more like an overdriven cranked marshall. this is the third time watching. lol. my buddy simon has a helix...i might have to work my way to his pad and try it.
yeah man, I have to say the Helix modeling is pretty spot on when you take a whole signal chain into account. Just adding the EQ's to the path really opened up the amp tone and made it more "realer". I still am floored at how much I dig this thing, especially given how much I slagged it at launch. I never thought anything would me me be ok NOT having my Kemper.

Dave Simpson":3h4u3lrl said:
I took a stab at that tone a little while ago with Helix Native. It came out better than I thought it would. The settings I used are in the video. Jer is the man for all things Helix though, I had no idea wtf I was doing lol.

JerEvil":3h4u3lrl said:
Yeah I’ll give it a go. Huge SOD fan! I know FAKA was trying to do a good SOD tone at one point.
I'm errrrrl here ;) Though maybe I should see if I can change it to FAKA :thumbsup:

BTW nice job on the vid man :rock:

errrrrl":2f1e46cz said:
Dave Simpson":2f1e46cz said:
I took a stab at that tone a little while ago with Helix Native. It came out better than I thought it would. The settings I used are in the video. Jer is the man for all things Helix though, I had no idea wtf I was doing lol.

JerEvil":2f1e46cz said:
I'm errrrrl here ;) Though maybe I should see if I can change it to FAKA :thumbsup:

BTW nice job on the vid man :rock:

That sounds great. :thumbsup:

Back