New George Lynch Seymour Duncan Custom Pickup

Wizard of Ozz":hjoxokko said:
New Lynch SD Custom pickup: The Hunter

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/geo ... ch-hunter/

... and it's ceramic!!! No more PAF-ish A2 clone snake oil stuff... back to the real deal. Looks to be similar to the SD Distortion.

:rock:

Oh man.....I loved my SD Distortion when I had it years ago. If this is similar to that and in a Lynch vein, that is a win-win. I can't wait to see what people think of this.

Really interesting... Thanks for posting this Wizard of Ozz! I remember trying the Screamin' Demon about 15 years ago. Hated it doesn't even come close, didn't even like it in the neck. Long gone now... I digress...

NOTE: Trembucker-spaced pickups are 5% overwound due to the larger coil bobbins (true across the board). Therefore, they have not been included for brevity.
Also, there are many other things that go into how a pickup sounds (e.g. bobbin construction, wire guage, insulation, winding technique, etc) as well as how much output is available.

Production Custom C 14.1k DCR
Production Custom 5 A5 14.1k DCR
Production Custom Custom A2 14.1k DCR

Custom Shop Hunter C 15.4k DCR

Production Distortion C 16.6k DCR
Production JB A5 16.6k DCR
Antiquity JB A5 16.6k DCR

Custom Shop Concept A2 16.7k DCR

Custom Shop RTM A2 17.4k DCR

From the above specs per the production information pages on SeymourDuncan.com, it looks like the Hunter is maybe a low-wind Distortion.

The Custom Custom and Distorition are the only two Seymour Duncan bridge pickups I current have installed, oddly enough, both in Les Pauls. The Hunter seems to fit comfortably between those two.

Interesting that the "Concept" JB uses an A2 and is wound a little hotter, given all other things being equal.

I may have to try a few of these: Hunter, Antiquity JB, Concept, and RTM.

I got a Dokkenbucker a few years ago and put it in a Jackson, was a little underwhelmed. Also had the Hunter this year in the Kami IV reissue, actually sounded pretty good in that guitar (I think better that a stock modern DD). The old DD in one of my 84 Charvels is still my favorite though.

I've also had the Arcane Mr Scary installed, and so far I like it a lot more overall than the Hunter/Dokkenbucker even though it is a different beast.

Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzz.. how many pickups is he up to now for that "signature scary tone"? Or better yet.. how many amps? Surprise surprise, Park amps now also has a Lynch model and he is "playing" those live now as well! Sorry Randall MTS, Randall Lynchbox v.2, Friedman, Bogner, Headhunter amp, and everything and anything else, there is a new amp in town!

While I hold Lynch in extremely high regard as a player, as an endorser, he carries zero sway with me. Feels like he just licenses his name willy nilly.

I don’t care for his sig pickups.
But I do play a esp custom shop kamikaze. Loaded with Dimarzio X2N.
And it’s the greatest tone I have had. :yes:

George's name aside, the potential selling point from more the pure tone side is do you get a little more open sounding DD while still retaining a good amount of that classic ceramic sizzle. I like the general idea because we've got lots of variations on the JB theme, but the DD is such a classic in its own right and I wouldn't mind trying more flavors of it.

Though again, I've actually tried the Hunter, as well as the earlier Dokkenbucker, my results were a bit mixed (never bad, but not blown away). I likely need to try it in a few more guitars to get a better overall opinion.

You can get your own custom shop Duncan for that price. I recently got a Duncan CS pickup and it is exactly what I wanted. If you know your Duncans you can speak to them on their terms which I think helps. Like...I want DD but with less sizzle and a tiny bit more bass/fullness...or whatever.

Rock Bodom":11vs6uok said:
Though again, I've actually tried the Hunter, as well as the earlier Dokkenbucker, my results were a bit mixed (never bad, but not blown away). I likely need to try it in a few more guitars to get a better overall opinion.
Considering the retail price, I AM expecting to be blown away by it. For that price one can get a Duncan 78, MotorCity Afwayu, Schecter Sunset Strip, Bareknuckle RY, Suhr Aldrich, and many others which are all great alternatives for the gool old 80's rock..

Mailman1971":3tfrwcbg said:
I don’t care for his sig pickups.
But I do play a esp custom shop kamikaze. Loaded with Dimarzio X2N.
And it’s the greatest tone I have had. :yes:
Chuck Schuldner RIP used the X2N and his tone was ultra

ChurchHill":1dmos96f said:
Really interesting... Thanks for posting this Wizard of Ozz! I remember trying the Screamin' Demon about 15 years ago. Hated it doesn't even come close, didn't even like it in the neck. Long gone now... I digress...

I have a Screamin' Demon in the bridge of my all maple Charvel. It sounds nice in that guitar, but I never liked it in other guitars. It is not all that high of output - more of a hot rodded PAF. Anyhow, that's my experience.

I like the Duncan Custom in most of my guitars, though use the Anderson H-3 in a bunch of them too, for reference.

I've tried most of the standard Duncans, at least as of about 10 years ago. My favorites are the Distortion and the Custom Custom. I was around their forum about 18 years ago when there were several of us swapping magnets in various models. I've still got what eventually became the Custom 5 from then, but mine doesn't sound anything like what they eventually produced. I'm not really sure why, either, if the Custom, Custom Custom, and Custom 5 are really all the same coils, just with different magnets. I also liked the Distortion with an A5.

The Duncan CS has always interested me, but I've always been on the fence about it, too. I mean, for the same money, there are a ton of options these days. Still, it seems that they have a few that could be really good as well as completely custom builds.

Zado":1lfrcwbn said:
Considering the retail price, I AM expecting to be blown away by it. For that price one can get a Duncan 78, MotorCity Afwayu, Schecter Sunset Strip, Bareknuckle RY, Suhr Aldrich, and many others which are all great alternatives for the gool old 80's rock..
I couldn't agree more. :)

And a teasing comb and half a bottle of hair bleach...

82a54013927bdf51a9fc602326cd5a12--esp-guitars-electric-guitars.jpg

Mailman1971":305dth7h said:
If that fish net shirt is included. I AM IN!!
Oh yes, it is included....wearing it as I type this actually.

The pickup may have been underwhelming, but that open mesh feeling most certainly is not.

Back