Looking to replace my old blue MXR 6 band EQ what's good?

harddriver

I want to get a new EQ that is footswitchable, Looking a Boss GE7, MXR6 band or the MXR ten band.

The 10 bands look pretty nice IMO but I'm want to hear your suggestions or experience.

I have one of those old 70's MXR's and it is one hissy noisy EQ, it sounds great but I'm sure the electronics are getting old contributing to the noise but these were noisy new LOL... :LOL: :LOL:

psychodave":p13az307 said:
Boss GE-10. Super quiet, sounds incredible.

I agree... I had one years ago in my mighty VH tone quest. It was nice and really quiet but really seemed hi-fi compared to the raunchy little MXR 6 band with all it's hiss I ended up liking the little MXR for old VH.

I know they are nice but I'm kind of looking for something with new electronics in it.

The new MXR 10 band caught my eye since it isn't too much more than the 6 band. I see it has a volume on the left side and a separate gain slider on the right how does that work kind of the same thing volume and gain when it comes to an EQ pedal, I see it has two outputs how the hell would that work? Wouldn't you need a second footswitch to toggle between two separate outputs, that would be a cool option to have.

harddriver":3o7x29ch said:
psychodave":3o7x29ch said:

I agree... I had one years ago in my mighty VH tone quest. It was nice and really quiet but really seemed hi-fi compared to the raunchy little MXR 6 band with all it's hiss I ended up liking the little MXR for old VH.

I know they are nice but I'm kind of looking for something with new electronics in it.

The new MXR 10 band caught my eye since it isn't too much more than the 6 band. I see it has a volume on the left side and a separate gain slider on the right how does that work kind of the same thing volume and gain when it comes to an EQ pedal, I see it has two outputs how the hell would that work? Wouldn't you need a second footswitch to toggle between two separate outputs, that would be a cool option to have.

I hear ya. I’ve tried new stuff and nothing compares to the old. I had real some new digital 6 band with 4 presets and it was cool, just didn’t compare. I’ve seen the new Free the tone EQ and it looks cool.

psychodave":78bxobao said:
harddriver":78bxobao said:
psychodave":78bxobao said:

I hear ya. I’ve tried new stuff and nothing compares to the old. I had real some new digital 6 band with 4 presets and it was cool, just didn’t compare. I’ve seen the new Free the tone EQ and it looks cool.

Thanks for sharing that Free The Tone EQ. I hadn't heard of it and I really like what I'm seeing. Might give this a try before looking for an 1128. The selected frequency bands in all three modes look well thought out too.

I have an MXR 10 band EQ ... the s model. It is much quieter than the original. It’s basically new in the box and has the power supply. Pm me if interested

MetalHeadMike":1wsh5c8k said:
Been using a 10 band mxr for 11 years and it's been great; dead quiet.

Not trying to start an argument but how? :LOL: :LOL: I owned 2 of these and both were extremely noisy in the hiss area. I assume you are using a gate or something?

maddnotez":br9ipb4s said:
MetalHeadMike":br9ipb4s said:

Not trying to start an argument but how? :LOL: :LOL: I owned 2 of these and both were extremely noisy in the hiss area. I assume you are using a gate or something?

No gate. I've never owned a gate. :dunno: Mine's dead quite.

MetalHeadMike":30gfb6ua said:
maddnotez":30gfb6ua said:
MetalHeadMike":30gfb6ua said:

Seems like a good deal then, I would hold onto that one.

maddnotez":2ytmo9fl said:
MetalHeadMike":2ytmo9fl said:
maddnotez":2ytmo9fl said:
MetalHeadMike":2ytmo9fl said:

They must've gotten better in the noise dept...I also had one 8 yrs ago that was noisy as hell. My cheap 30 buck Danelectro is a better EQ than the MXR I had. By a long shot. Couldn't get rid of that or the Boss 7 band fast enough. Noise noise noise. Ugh.

maddnotez":2db8zxak said:
MetalHeadMike":2db8zxak said:
maddnotez":2db8zxak said:
MetalHeadMike":2db8zxak said:

Guess I got lucky! Just to clarify, I play mine in the effects loop of all my amps; I've never tried it out front so maybe that's where it gets noisy :dunno:

Back