Best distortion pedal solide state sound (Death-Chuck sound)

There's also a nice old Ibanez Soundtank pedal from the 90s (I think?) called "Thrashmetal". It does look rather cheap admittedly, but in my opinion that thing is capable of producing some mean Metal tones if you fiddle around with the controls a bit.

Jeff13th":2fsq7yvn said:
Hi

What would be your distortion pedal suggestion to sound like Chuck Schuldiner?
I know he was playing on a head marshall valve state 8100

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woML9M5UBSc

Man what a great song! Love Chuck to....Death!

Maybe look for one of those DigiTech Metal Master stompboxes with the eight or nine different pedal voicings in it. You can get a sound that's pretty saturated, thick, scooped or something with chunky mids. Good for early 2000s numetal and 90s death metal and thrash tones.
Just FYI, Chuck used Randall's for most of his career. The Marshall VS came late and was used around TSOP.
A BIG part of his tone is from the X2N pickup. It can be hard to fully capture his sound without using that pickup.

No idea what pedal would get a guy there (Boss metal zone or Digitech Death Metal :dunno:), but Chuck was a god among men, and is who I hope to meet in the afterlife if there is such a thing :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Fucking monster player and pioneer of the genre :rock: Can't imagine where he would have taken things.

hatecase":240glnvt said:
There's also a nice old Ibanez Soundtank pedal from the 90s (I think?) called "Thrashmetal". It does look rather cheap admittedly, but in my opinion that thing is capable of producing some mean Metal tones if you fiddle around with the controls a bit.

The Ibanez SmashBox sounds mental aswell.

JimmyBlind":1mh7xqqg said:
hatecase":1mh7xqqg said:

The Ibanez SmashBox sounds mental aswell.

Yes, that's true. I'm usually not such a big fan of those (Ibanez) pedals but I guess they would work for that purpose.

Back