Jim Wagner Iron Man bridge pickup! - (YouTube clip added)

braintheory":nq4y7b3h said:
glip22":nq4y7b3h said:
thegame":nq4y7b3h said:
FWIW, I found an older thread on the My Les Paul forum where someone emailed Jim about the differences between the Godwood and Darkburst necks and he said the DB is wound at 8.3 and the GW 8.5, but otherwise they’re identical and that even a dog probably wouldn’t hear a difference

I’ve only tried his Godwood pickups, but I remember they sounded really great. I’m curious how I’d like the Fillmores, Iron Man or Ice Bucker in comparison. I like that the Ice Bucker is supposed to be tighter, but not sure how I feel about the assymetrical part. I’ve not liked those as much because they usually sound hollow or more single coil like from my experience when assymetrical, but I’m still curious

I hear you about the asymmetrical aspect and I wouldn't like them myself if they were hollow or single coil like but they are plenty fat and thick. Not as fat/thick as the Godwood but no one will find them thin I can assure you. Some lower output examples of P.A.F.s (real ones and from the myriad of boutique winders) can indeed sound hollow and a bit single coil like but not the Icebuckers. Realize that there are varying degrees of the coils being wound asymmetrically and I believe the IB's are wound slightly asymmetrical.
So does it basically sound like the Godwood, but a little tighter, brighter and less thick, growly?

Not at all from what I remember. I much preferred the Filmores to the Godwoods, not that the Godwoods are bad. Neither are like the Iron Man. Iron Man is Alnico 8. Filmores had the most mids. Iron Mans are thicker and tighter while at the same time having that non sterile bucker tone in spades. They have a wide note separation where as each note is rounder. Way better than the Warpig in Ceramic or Alnico to my ears fwiw. I have had both. Warpig for comparison sake with the 22dc. The IM doesn't come across as being high DC. My fav higher output pickup.
No I meant the Godwood compared to the Ice Bucker, but that’s still interesting to hear how it compares to the Fillmore and Iron Man. So between those 3 you’ve had, which would you say is the most gritty/growly?

The Iron Man sounds very cool, but I’m worried if maybe it would be too smooth or dark for my taste, although I guess I can also get it in ceramic
The IM growls more because it compresses more than the others but it's not overly compressed. I don't find it dark but the Filmore is brighter as well as the Godwood.

I would say if you are looking for a high gain pickup that covers other genre's go IM. If you want a more vintage mid tone high output go Filmore, which also covers high gain very well, not not as well as the IM.

I never would have thought to try the Filmores but they came in a McNaught VSC. I would compare them to an Aldrich as far as output but I much prefer them over any Aldrich I had in my Suhrs when I was on a Suhr kick.

One thing I will say with my WCR's is that in my experience it was hit or miss as far as having some squeal under volume and gain. This could have been because these in question were not potted with his technique, as they came in the guitars already.
The ones I got from Jim were dead quiet. Just make sure to tell Jim to do a good potting with his potting method he will never reveal. Don't dare ask him if he wax pots. :LOL: :LOL: Wax is the worst thing on the planet for your tone.
Jim is very cool. Usually you get his Wife on the phone. At least I assume it's his Wife. She's cool too.

braintheory":3k7uhl6i said:
So does it basically sound like the Godwood, but a little tighter, brighter and less thick, growly?

I've never tried the Godwood but I believe this is true based on past correspondence with Jim. The IB is a Jon Schaffer signature pup. They started with a Godwood and began tweaking. How far they ended up from the Godwood, I'm not sure but again, the difference in tone is just like you stated.

thegame":21oxbm3q said:
firejack":21oxbm3q said:
thegame":21oxbm3q said:
Interesting, thanks. I ordered my first Icebucker set w/ceramics and still really like it. However my second set has the stock Alnico V and I think I like that better so I'm going to switch the first set back to stock. The IB doesn't need further tightening IMO.
Interesting. How are the mids on the IceBucker?

The IB is a tweaked Godwood, tighter with a more asymmetrical wind, yet lower output. However don't let the lower output fool you; its mids are somewhat enhanced compared to most other P.A.F. type of pickups out there, so it pushes the amp harder than its output (low to mid 9K) would suggest. The mids are very crunchy which I like. Its billed as a tight percussive pickup which it is, yet it can still sing with plenty of sustain when you want it.
You're making me want to revisit my Icebuckers :D

Zado":2h4etrki said:
Thanks man, super appreciated! It sounds super ballsy and raw! Hell I'm loving it!
Yeah it has a real raw grind to it. Bear in mind too that this was in a problematic Strat that was proving difficult to find a good high gain sound from the bridge position. The IronMan has some of that EMG ability to make an ordinary guitar sound good. But I think the Ironman has more personality than any EMG I've ever tried.

Deanmachine":2agu84qv said:
Felt the same about the Afwayu in a custom shop les Paul I replaced it with a Wolfetone Monkeybucker 16k A8 magnet going to check that ironman though .

Hey! Sorry to go a little off topic, but not by much. I have a walnut body rosewood neck baritone Tele that used to have an Afwayu, but it was a little too much with the Ab tuning. I am about to get a WCR Godwood in a trade to put on that Tele, but I got interested in the Wolfetone Monkeybucker. How's that working for you? What are your first impressions? Thanks!

I talked to Jim today on the phone and ordered a Iron Man/Dark Burst set and Murkat bridge for my HSS style guitar. For what it’s worth, he told me the icebucker neck is like a middle ground of the crossroads and darkburst, fatter than the crossroads but not as much as the darkburst or Godwood. He said the Godwood and darkburst necks are almost identical, the Godwood is just .2k hotter.

He also said that the Murkat is the same thing as the Fillmore just F-Spaced for Floyd rose type guitars and 2 rows of adjustable pole pieces. I decided to go with the Murkat since it’s only $15 more

Back