Jim Wagner Iron Man bridge pickup! - (YouTube clip added)

firejack

I've been using Jim Wagner pickups for a while now. I have a Darkburst bridge, a Ceramic Murkat bridge, and the Godwood neck is in most of my guitars.
So while all the Jim Wagner pickups have wowed me (enough to replace some of my fave Motor City pickups), nothing has been as impressive as the Iron Man bridge model. I feel compelled to put the Iron Man bridge in all my guitars now. What a kickarse pickup!

EDIT - Here's a quick vid for you Zado.
Note that I only have my smartphone for recording at the moment, as my recording gear and PC got trashed while building our home.
I'll have better recording capability in the near future.

I LOVE the Icebucker and am likely getting a Murkat set for my next guitar. Whats your take on Murkat vs other WCRs ?

firejack":2a5bdyrv said:
I've been using Jim Wagner pickups for a while now. I have a Darkburst bridge, a Ceramic Murkat bridge, and the Godwood neck is in most of my guitars.
So while all the Jim Wagner pickups have wowed me (enough to replace some of my fave Motor City pickups), nothing has been as impressive as the Iron Man bridge model. I feel compelled to put the Iron Man bridge in all my guitars now. What a kickarse pickup!

What style of music you playing with it? How would it do for metal (thrash, death metal etc)?

Zado":10okt100 said:
Samples pls
I'll try to get some quick clips up over the weekend.

thegame":10okt100 said:
I LOVE the Icebucker and am likely getting a Murkat set for my next guitar. Whats your take on Murkat vs other WCRs ?
For comparison sakes, if you like the Seymour Duncan JB then you'll love the Murkat. The Murkat reminds me of an old Maricela Juarez-wound JB that I used to have. It's got a great voicing and feel for soloing.

In my Mexican Charvel, the Murkat with the stock Alnico V magnet was absolutely perfect for lead playing, but a little too soft on the attack for rhythm and riffage (for my preferences anyway). Emailed Jim and he sent me a ceramic magnet with my next pickup order to try in place of the Alnico V and boom! The ceramic magnet in the Murkat tidied up the lows just that little bit that I needed without changing what I loved about its top-end sweetness.

Compared to the Darkburst bridge and Ironman bridge, the Murkat is right between the two in terms of output and aggression. It has the same squawk and squeal as the Darkburst, and a little of the Iron Man's thickness and wallop. It's pretty damn awesome.

Sorry but I haven't tried the Murkat neck. The only JWP neck model I have is the Godwood neck because the first one I tried sounded so good that it's the only neck pickup I get whenever I need a new neck pickup. I also have an Ironman neck with a spare Ironman bridge, but that's for a guitar that won't be arriving for another couple months at least.

MetalHeadMike":3sw8vine said:
What style of music you playing with it? How would it do for metal (thrash, death metal etc)?
I play instrumental metal mostly. I'm no thrash expert so I can't say for certain, but I feel the Iron Man could handle just about anything you could throw at it.

firejack":2eaiunbi said:
thegame":2eaiunbi said:
For comparison sakes, if you like the Seymour Duncan JB then you'll love the Murkat. The Murkat reminds me of an old Maricela Juarez-wound JB that I used to have. It's got a great voicing and feel for soloing.

In my Mexican Charvel, the Murkat with the stock Alnico V magnet was absolutely perfect for lead playing, but a little too soft on the attack for rhythm and riffage (for my preferences anyway). Emailed Jim and he sent me a ceramic magnet with my next pickup order to try in place of the Alnico V and boom! The ceramic magnet in the Murkat tidied up the lows just that little bit that I needed without changing what I loved about its top-end sweetness.

Compared to the Darkburst bridge and Ironman bridge, the Murkat is right between the two in terms of output and aggression. It has the same squawk and squeal as the Darkburst, and a little of the Iron Man's thickness and wallop. It's pretty damn awesome.

Sorry but I haven't tried the Murkat neck. The only JWP neck model I have is the Godwood neck because the first one I tried sounded so good that it's the only neck pickup I get whenever I need a new neck pickup. I also have an Ironman neck with a spare Ironman bridge, but that's for a guitar that won't be arriving for another couple months at least.

Interesting, thanks. I ordered my first Icebucker set w/ceramics and still really like it. However my second set has the stock Alnico V and I think I like that better so I'm going to switch the first set back to stock. The IB doesn't need further tightening IMO.

I had an Ironman set in an Ibanez RGA121 for about 6 years. It is a killer pup. Very fat, and clear with an A5 magnet, similar to a MCP Afwayu I had in a PRS at the same time I had the Ironman in the Ibanez. I would say for thrash a brighter pup would probably work better, but the Ironman with a ceramic magnet might be good for thrash.

firejack":1fygz1er said:
Zado":1fygz1er said:
Samples pls
I'll try to get some quick clips up over the weekend.

thegame":1fygz1er said:

I've never played a Murkat, but I've heard the same thing - that if you love the JB, the Murkat should be a strong consideration.

The Ironman kills. It's fat, juicy and really smooth, yet still has a grind to it. A very sweet sounding pickup. It'll handle anything you throw at it. The Darkburst is the best neck pickup on the planet. :rock:

LOL! That's why they are in three of my axes :thumbsup: Don't overlook the Filmores. They are killer also! Higher output and great mids. I think they are around 12k dc. Not as high as the IM. The IM doesnt seem like it's as high DC as is. It's killer!

Beyond Black":108i6fqr said:
The Ironman kills. It's fat, juicy and really smooth, yet still has a grind to it. A very sweet sounding pickup. It'll handle anything you throw at it. The Darkburst is the best neck pickup on the planet. :rock:

Tell me more about the DB neck pup !

thegame":2vaygmx8 said:
Beyond Black":2vaygmx8 said:

Tell me more about the DB neck pup !
The DB has excellent sustain. It really sings. It's extremely warm with plenty of low end, without getting flubby or muddy like many neck pups do. It's always defined and articulate.

thegame":1c5uieai said:
Interesting, thanks. I ordered my first Icebucker set w/ceramics and still really like it. However my second set has the stock Alnico V and I think I like that better so I'm going to switch the first set back to stock. The IB doesn't need further tightening IMO.
Interesting. How are the mids on the IceBucker?

GuitarGuyLP":1c5uieai said:
I had an Ironman set in an Ibanez RGA121 for about 6 years. It is a killer pup. Very fat, and clear with an A5 magnet, similar to a MCP Afwayu I had in a PRS at the same time I had the Ironman in the Ibanez. I would say for thrash a brighter pup would probably work better, but the Ironman with a ceramic magnet might be good for thrash.
Yeah I'm rocking the Ceramic magnet version. I don't think I'd like the Iron Man bridge with an A5 mag.
I had an Afwayu in a USA G&L Legacy, and I far prefer the Ceramic Iron Man. I tried hard to like the Afwayu and swapped it around in a few different guitars, but the result was always the same. The Iron Man just has so much more personality and an outrageous grind to boot.

fearhk213":1c5uieai said:
I've never played a Murkat, but I've heard the same thing - that if you love the JB, the Murkat should be a strong consideration.
Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Beyond Black":3gnrbkke said:
Right on brother. Hey out of curiosity, have you tried the Godwood neck? How does it compare to the Darkburst neck? Because your description "The DB has excellent sustain. It really sings. It's extremely warm with plenty of low end, without getting flubby or muddy like many neck pups do. It's always defined and articulate." is exactly my experience of the Godwood neck.

jaybird":3gnrbkke said:
hmm may have pickup GAS now!!!
Man I wish I'd discovered Jim Wagner's pickups sooner. Always shied away from them as they were a little bit more expensive than MCP's and BKP's. For me, they are totally worth the little bit extra. So awesome!

glip22":3gnrbkke said:
LOL! That's why they are in three of my axes :thumbsup: Don't overlook the Filmores. They are killer also! Higher output and great mids. I think they are around 12k dc. Not as high as the IM. The IM doesnt seem like it's as high DC as is. It's killer!
Heya mate have you tried the Darkburst bridge? If so, how does the Fillmore compare?

firejack":3hgz1qsp said:
thegame":3hgz1qsp said:

The IB is a tweaked Godwood, tighter with a more asymmetrical wind, yet lower output. However don't let the lower output fool you; its mids are somewhat enhanced compared to most other P.A.F. type of pickups out there, so it pushes the amp harder than its output (low to mid 9K) would suggest. The mids are very crunchy which I like. Its billed as a tight percussive pickup which it is, yet it can still sing with plenty of sustain when you want it.

firejack":2qf5lu5n said:
Man I wish I'd discovered Jim Wagner's pickups sooner. Always shied away from them as they were a little bit more expensive than MCP's and BKP's. For me, they are totally worth the little bit extra. So awesome!

Same exact experience here. Tried those others prior to Wagner, no comparison at all.
Wagner>BKP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MCP

Besides Wagner the only other boutique pup I've been equally wowed by is a Tom Holmes H450. That is pure old school PAF magic.

firejack":3134ms5k said:
thegame":3134ms5k said:

GuitarGuyLP":3134ms5k said:
Yeah I'm rocking the Ceramic magnet version. I don't think I'd like the Iron Man bridge with an A5 mag.
I had an Afwayu in a USA G&L Legacy, and I far prefer the Ceramic Iron Man. I tried hard to like the Afwayu and swapped it around in a few different guitars, but the result was always the same. The Iron Man just has so much more personality and an outrageous grind to boot.

fearhk213":3134ms5k said:
Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Interesting - I have an Afwayu set in my Les Paul - what didn't you like about the Afwayu? I do like them, but they do have a tad too much bottom and sound a little hi-fi , but guess I've just gotten used to it now. But this peaks my interest. What neck PUP are you using with the Iron Man?

thegame":nvp0ee9k said:
The IB is a tweaked Godwood, tighter with a more asymmetrical wind, yet lower output. However don't let the lower output fool you; its mids are somewhat enhanced compared to most other P.A.F. type of pickups out there, so it pushes the amp harder than its output (low to mid 9K) would suggest. The mids are very crunchy which I like. Its billed as a tight percussive pickup which it is, yet it can still sing with plenty of sustain when you want it.
Oh cool. Damn now there's another JWP on my must-have list. My wife is going to be pissed. Haha.
I love that about JWP pickups. They sing and squeal and squawk like nothing else. Almost like they are unpotted and out of control, but yet it's easily controllable with your pick and fingers. Even the Iron Man bridge with all of it's saturation and compression, still has some of that squawky character when I throw single-note soloing at it. Admittedly not as much as the Darkburst or Murkat. But considering how fat and juicy the Iron Man is in comparison to those two, it's very impressive. But yeah the Darkburst has the most squawk out of the three. The only pickup that comes close to the Darkburst bridge in that regard is my unpotted Motor City Angel Dust bridge.

Back